Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #29
Jenner

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
Good damn question...
I told my friend about this and he said his dad had 7 DUIs and still had a license. Goes to show how ****ed up the system is
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #30
MattyDaddy

Drives: 2012 Red SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
Tech exists that requires a breath test before the vehicle will start, the problem is that you have have repeat offenses of DUI in order to be ordered to have it on your vehicle. .

requiring it to be installed on all vehicles would be a violation of our civil rights (I say that with the upmost distain because so many other rights are violated regularly that don't result in the death of innocent people).

what IMO would be a start is technology that won't allow a vehicle to enter a freeway going the wrong way, in this case it appears she got on an off ramp, how hard would it be to install those tire puncture systems on all off ramps you know the ones that some "exit only" driveways have?

perhaps in conduction with camera that get activated if someone enters the wrong way and even a bollard that raises and blocks the path of drive (though that could create a problem for the exiting people).

it's obvious that completely stopping idiots like this is to a point beyond reality, like anything if someone is set on doing it their isn't much you can do to stop them.

I was hit by a DUI in 1991, I was lucky to survive, my first wife was killed by a DUI 17 days after our wedding, and 21 days after she graduated from college in 2001..

I've lost 3 cousins and 2 friends to DUIs as well.
hey, so just an FYI, in Arizona if you are convicted of a DUI (any level, occurrence) you are required to have an Interlock device installed in your vehicle before you are allowed to legally drive again. The Interlock device requires you to blow any time you start the vehicle and also randomly tests you thru the drive. So it must not infringe there... driving is a privilege, not a right. And yes, that interlock device is the worst thing ever!

Also, the other problem that exists is that there is plenty of technology/vehicles with accident prevention built in, but for the same reason these Technologies will never be a mandate is precisely what your first paragraph mentions.. civil rights.. or i'm sure some constitutional rights as well as takes away that 'freedom' we all feel when driving.

ps. Your last paragraph made feel horrible for you!! I couldn't even imagine what that musta been like.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #31
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
It's hard to imagine 6 people living a normal life yesterday wiped out by a 21yo who chose to drink & drive. As someone above mentioned the girl driving did live - how in that mess I have no clue.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:02 PM   #32
trcsr

Drives: 2018 2LT/RS Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
The thread title says it all.

Maybe we should develop technology that disables the safety equipment of a car when the driver is drunk. That way, if you're dumb enough to drive drunk and want to kill people you die too.
I remember some time back where there was discussion about installing a Breathalyzer in the car of a multi-time drunk driver and the driver had to blow beneath the legal limit for the car to start. That would be a good solution for problems like this. Of course, habitual drunk drivers would probably find a "friend" that would blow for them. Has anybody got any updates on this technology?

My sympathies to the families of those killed. Camaros and their drivers do not need this kind of public exposure.

My apologies for repeating this as I just read the previous post about AZ having this law. It should be national.

As far as this violating your "civil rights" and freedoms, aren't things like stop lights, stop signs, speed limits, seat belt laws, etc. in the same category as this? One could even argue that all laws are infringements on our civil rights, but without them we would have a lot more problems than the civil rights issue.
trcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #33
nasty2ss

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss IOM
Don't know what the answer is ,but I think things are going to get worst with pot being legal in a couple of states.Now we have to worry about drunk and high drivers.I lost my daughter a few years ago she was a passenger in a Ford cobra driven by a drunk friend.That friend killed himself a few weeks before he was to be sentenced for her death.
nasty2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #34
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasty2ss View Post
Don't know what the answer is ,but I think things are going to get worst with pot being legal in a couple of states.Now we have to worry about drunk and high drivers.I lost my daughter a few years ago she was a passenger in a Ford cobra driven by a drunk friend.That friend killed himself a few weeks before he was to be sentenced for her death.
I'm very sorry to hear that. And you're right, drug related accidents are on the rise.

Here's another. This idiot teenager in Texas killed 4 people and seriously and permanently maimed two others and got off with being sentenced to rehab because his parents are douchebags, I'm not kidding.

"State District Judge Jean Boyd had already decided the Texas teenager would serve no jail time. He was sentenced last year to 10 years' probation.
His story made national headlines after a witness claimed Couch was a victim of 'affluenza' -- the product of wealthy, privileged parents who never set limits for the boy."

That's crap.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/05/us/texas-affluenza-teen/
Old 02-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #35
All Star
I'm an Engineer

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Send a message via AIM to All Star
Sounds almost like a suicide...could have been a "**** the world" type of situation.

Impressive the driver lives, Chevy built a damn safe car.

All Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #36
coryrulez9

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS Blue Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
The thread title says it all.

Maybe we should develop technology that disables the safety equipment of a car when the driver is drunk. That way, if you're dumb enough to drive drunk and want to kill people you die too.
They actually do have this technology. Some people with histories of DUI's are required to have breathalizers installed in their cars where you have to blow before it will start.
coryrulez9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #37
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Just watched the news. There was another wrong way driving wreck today. That's crazy. It was caught on a cell phone camera.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #38
Shift_Rejected
2010 2SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS (L99)
I seen that as well.. I'm not sure how it happens, usually the on-ramp is curved in a way that would make it harder to get on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Just watched the news. There was another wrong way driving wreck today. That's crazy. It was caught on a cell phone camera.
Performance Mods: K&N Cold Air Intake | Pypes Cat-Back Exhaust | Aluminum Paddle Shifters | VaraRam Wedge | Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPC Pads | M.M. Ported Throttle Body | Kooks 1 7/8 Headers w/ High Flow Cats | Dyno Tune @ RPM
Cosmetic Mods: Rally Stripes (style1, style2, style2.2) | Splitter | Painted Calipers | Door Projector Lights | Front-Emblem Delete | Cup Holder Lighting | Quarter Window Covers | Phantom Grille | Ghosted Side Markers | Tinted Fog Lights | ZL1 Rockers | Tail Light Bezels
Shift_Rejected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #39
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyDaddy View Post
hey, so just an FYI, in Arizona if you are convicted of a DUI (any level, occurrence) you are required to have an Interlock device installed in your vehicle before you are allowed to legally drive again. The Interlock device requires you to blow any time you start the vehicle and also randomly tests you thru the drive. So it must not infringe there... driving is a privilege, not a right. And yes, that interlock device is the worst thing ever!

Also, the other problem that exists is that there is plenty of technology/vehicles with accident prevention built in, but for the same reason these Technologies will never be a mandate is precisely what your first paragraph mentions.. civil rights.. or i'm sure some constitutional rights as well as takes away that 'freedom' we all feel when driving.

ps. Your last paragraph made feel horrible for you!! I couldn't even imagine what that musta been like.

yeah the problem is you have to be convicted first before these devices can be installed.

glad to see that AZ is doing it at the first level, CA lets them repeat DUI offenses over and over..
Old 02-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #40
Jenner

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
yeah the problem is you have to be convicted first before these devices can be installed.

glad to see that AZ is doing it at the first level, CA lets them repeat DUI offenses over and over..
How many DUIs do you need in CA before they do that?
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:52 PM   #41
Steve@HPE

Drives: 2014 SS/RS
Camaro Safety

Evidently the person driving this Camaro survived this horrendous crash. Pretty amazing: http://news.yahoo.com/photos/souther...-up-slideshow/
Steve@HPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:02 PM   #42
captaincog

Drives: 1971 350RS/SS 4sp
I just read and watched this and while this is terrible for the victims I do have one question......

Why does it have to be a Camaro? The whole thing almost seemed like Camaro this and Camaro that. Stupid drunk drivers. Just no good excuse here for the driver's actions.
1971 RS/SS 350 4 speed Teal Green
captaincog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident