Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Just how bad of drone?

Ok, so after doing tons of appearance mods i have decided i can no longer take this damn exhaust. Does not need to be insane loud just a bit louder and with more grunt.

A club member offered me up his old setup at a very nice price so i bought it. Picking it up on Saturday.

I have a totally stock L99 except for a CAI intake & Ported TB. The system i bought is a Magnaflow Competition catback 3" part# 16483

My car is not tuned so i already know AFM will be kicking in much louder. How about the drone on this? How much louder or deeper is the system in reality. Videos don't tell the true tale and i know nobody who has this on their car. I didn't get to hear it while it was on his.

I got a great deal so could not pass it up. I am told it isn't that much louder just deeper.

Anybody know just how little or bad the drone is or how loud the AFM really will be.

Not ready to tune it yet so i will live with it. I have owned big blocks with straight pipes so i can deal with the drone.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I don't know, but let us know how it turns out. I'm thinking about exhaust, but after reading about all the problems with drone and AFM noise, I'm reconsidering. At this point, I might just do a CAI and see if that gives me the extra growl I'm looking for.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
I don't know, but let us know how it turns out. I'm thinking about exhaust, but after reading about all the problems with drone and AFM noise, I'm reconsidering. At this point, I might just do a CAI and see if that gives me the extra growl I'm looking for.
CAI won't give any more growl from the back end but, does give a major boost to the growl you will hear when you step on it. I have a CAI inc intake and you can hear that sucker big time when you hit it.

CAI Inc used a vid of mine on their channel.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
I have that same cat back.......I can tell you there is drone with headers and high flow cats. It does have a nice growl though. In fact my wife tried to get my car inspected and the guy tried to tell her I did not have cats because it is to loud.....but not sure how it will sound on stock manifolds.
Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
My car is exactly that, No one has to like it but me!
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
CAI won't give any more growl from the back end but, does give a major boost to the growl you will hear when you step on it. I have a CAI inc intake and you can hear that sucker big time when you hit it.
Thanks for the vid. A little more growl anywhere will be a welcome addition

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
nightshift

Drives: Victory Red 2011 2SS/RS
Solo with J Pipes....Zero drone.
nightshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshift View Post
Solo with J Pipes....Zero drone.
That is an option for someone catback didnt already buy a different catback. Not looking to that route myself. Not really all that concerened about the drone. Just wondered if anyone has the same setup and their input ao im not overly shocked one way or another.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
Snake Slayer

Drives: Awaiting 2014 C7
It should not be that bad with with the stock manifolds. I am running the 2.5 street series with headers and no cats and I have zero drone. If the drone get overbearing I woulds swap out the tru-x xpipe that is included with this systems for one of the resonated x-pipes. The cost is nominal $60 for the part plus labor.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
ZachSGMSS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM Camaro
With my SW retro I don't find the AFM that bad at higher speeds but it bothers the hell out of me at like 30 and under.
ZachSGMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
Rage
TRI-COUNTY CAMARO... FTW!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 Cyber Grey
I'm installing the 3" Dynomax VT's this upcoming week and will let u kno if there is any drone. I only heard great things about them. They have a valve that open upon hard acceleration. Essentially a little louder than stock at cruising and idle, but at WOT its like straight pipes
CAI inc. cold air intake, LG G6x3 cam, Patriot Gold Extreme Dual springs, Titanium retainers and locks, LG SuperPro 1 7/8 Long Tube headers with full 3" exhaust, DynoMax VT mufflers, SLP 4" tips, Moroso catch can, Race Ready electronic exhaust cut outs, Full painted Razzi body kit, Headlight Armor Smoke taillight and marker blackouts, T-Rex aluminum upper and lower grille, Polished aluminum front and rear bowties. Professionally installed and Dyno Tuned by HorsePower Sales, Pompano Beach FL.
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Thanks for the info guys. Guess i will find out soon enough. If the afm drivea me nuts well... there is a cure for that. Lol

Old 02-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #12
Dynomax Exhaust

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage View Post
I'm installing the 3" Dynomax VT's this upcoming week and will let u kno if there is any drone. I only heard great things about them. They have a valve that open upon hard acceleration. Essentially a little louder than stock at cruising and idle, but at WOT its like straight pipes

As I have mentioned before, I drove over 44 hours in one week with this axle back on our 2010 SS. No drone, but you do hear it when you get on it. So nice.

90-Day Risk-Free Trial Offer
Try qualifying DynoMax® products* for 90 days. We guarantee you'll experience the DynoMax® performance difference! If, for any reason, the qualifying products* don't live up to your expectations within the first 90 days, replace the products and we will refund your original product's purchase price (which shall not exceed the manufacturer’s suggested retail price), plus labor (up to $50 per exhaust system). We're that confident you will be satisfied with DynoMax® performance products! For questions about this offer, please contact our customer service department at 734-384-7898.

*Offer limited to the purchase of DynoMax® Stainless Steel Cat-Back Systems and Ultra Flo™ SS Polished, Ultra Flo™ Welded, DynoMax® VT™ or Super Turbo™ performance muffler. This offer does not include products which have been modified, improperly applied or installed on vehicles used for commercial or racing purposes. Valid only on vehicles used for private, non-commercial use and may be withdrawn at any time.
Dynomax Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Guess i will find out soon enough. If the afm drivea me nuts well... there is a cure for that. Lol
You asked a little late. My A6 L99 SS is drone free with ths Solo J-Pipes. Most others not so much from what I've read here.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #14
kfm237

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I put the Dynomax VT axleback on My stock A6 L99 SS. I would say it is quieter then stock inside and outside the car at anything under 5000 rpm.. If you're looking for that V8 rumble when cuising and idle.. This aint it! I will say there is no drone or AFM noises at ANY rpm...
kfm237 is offline   Reply With Quote