Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
Garret

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Victory Red
V6 Exhaust Info needed

Went down to my local muffler shop to ask about cost and sound quality of installing some cherry bomb glasspack mufflers on an LT(V6) he said it would sound alot like an import with a "riceburner" sound... So is this true? if so ill have to get a SS >.<
Garret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
Ozzie RS

Drives: '11 Camaro RS 2LT
I haven't found a way to make a V-6 sound like a V-8 and I don't think it is possible to do. Maybe someone else has a trick up their sleeve but I have never heard of it. I know some of the new imports have designed a "sound box" they put in the exhaust system to make it sound closer to a V-8 but I know nothing about it or have seen a contraption like it.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Check out MRT V1 and V2...the v1 is louder and it's brother v2 is a little more quiet, but both sound about the same going up the power band
Old 07-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
It won't sound like a v8, but it will sound better than the stock suitcases. I went with the CherryBomb SS Extreme catback kit. It's 2.5" front to back. The headers gave it a lot of drone at highway speed so I got a pair of short glasspacks and welded them in. Got rid of the drone.
Everyone is going to push the exhaust they have decided to go with. It's expected. Exhaust is a personal preference type of thing. There's a thread at the top of the v6 area that has a ton of different exhaust types.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:41 AM   #5
LVDran

Drives: 2010 V6
To be honest ive heard set ups with just about every exhaust that sounds awesome. But, the closest you are going to get to sounding like a V8 is if you get long tube headers with the exhaust. Ive got BBK long tubes with HF cats with a Vararam and a custom Magnaflow exhaust and it rumbles like a V8 at idle, and even resembles the sound at sub 3000 rpms. It still rasps out a little at high RPMs though, and anyone that knows different will know its a V6. It all depends what you want really. If you want it to "sound like a v8" buy a v8. Or save the money, get a v6 and make it sound like a beefed out v6.
LVDran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVDran View Post
To be honest ive heard set ups with just about every exhaust that sounds awesome. But, the closest you are going to get to sounding like a V8 is if you get long tube headers with the exhaust. Ive got BBK long tubes with HF cats with a Vararam and a custom Magnaflow exhaust and it rumbles like a V8 at idle, and even resembles the sound at sub 3000 rpms. It still rasps out a little at high RPMs though, and anyone that knows different will know its a V6. It all depends what you want really. If you want it to "sound like a v8" buy a v8. Or save the money, get a v6 and make it sound like a beefed out v6.
Do you have an resonated x-pipe? It'll cut down that rasp unless you like it I can't wait to get my headers and such
Old 07-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
guapo
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro LT2/RS
I have the SOLO Mach II with an x pipe full cat back with 4.5 chrome tips. A friend of mine was behind and he said it sound awsome. Mine was 800.00 w/free shipping they are out of NY. Love mine...
Old 07-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
Goo

Drives: Cayman S
V8s sound like V8s. V6s sounds like V6s. I4s sounds like I4s ("riceburner" sound).

Our Camaros will never sound like a V8 or a I4 PERIOD

All you can do is make it sound the best it can, and there are many different ways to do that...
Goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
Grimlock
dey see me rollin

Drives: the magic school bus
Sound is subjective. I have the BBK LTs and ARK DTS and while they sound nice, to the right people they can sound "riceburnerish". Doesn't bother me as I've got imports in my blood. I wasn't getting my hopes up for a growling V8 sound, but damn does the ghost cam make it close.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:35 AM   #10
LVDran

Drives: 2010 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin's Bee View Post
Do you have an resonated x-pipe? It'll cut down that rasp unless you like it I can't wait to get my headers and such
I don't yet but plan to do that very soon. Not a huge fan of the rasp.
LVDran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVDran View Post
I don't yet but plan to do that very soon. Not a huge fan of the rasp.
Haha well if you did that would be like someone saying how much they liked the look and sound of the stock exhaust
Old 07-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
SMITTY8

Drives: 2011 2LS Camaro
MRT V.1