Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
ctk1
Camarofanatic

Drives: 1969 SS, 1998 RS, 2010 VR 2SS/RS
Insurance Costs???

First let me say that I am ordering a new 2SS in Feb no matter what, but I do have a quick question that hopefully somebody can help me out with. I am a 25 year old male, with a clean driving record. Up to this point I have always had used cars with only liability. Does anybody have an idea of what I should expect to pay for full coverage on a 2SS? Thanks in advance, and yes I know that description sounded like its from a singles site, so no comments on that, haha.
ctk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
There are way too many variables for anyone to give you an accurate cost. Bet thing is to call your insurance agent.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
There are way too many variables for anyone to give you an accurate cost. Bet thing is to call your insurance agent.
Call your agent. Otherwise, the biggest variables are price and safety. If you drive a death trap, it will cost more; if you drive an expensive car, it will cost more.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
I am 32 and called State Farm for some idea on the cost of insurance. At the time, he said he didn't have a 2010 Camaro in his system, but he ran it as a 2009 Corvette. I run fairly high coverage with fairly low deductibles and the rate was going to be around $800 per year for coverage.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
I am 32 and called State Farm for some idea on the cost of insurance. At the time, he said he didn't have a 2010 Camaro in his system, but he ran it as a 2009 Corvette. I run fairly high coverage with fairly low deductibles and the rate was going to be around $800 per year for coverage.
I have state farm as well and they classify the '09 vette as a luxury car and a weekend driver so the rates are way lower then they will be for the Camaro. You should call them back and ask for a quote for a '09 Mustang GT for a better idea.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
I have state farm as well and they classify the '09 vette as a luxury car and a weekend driver so the rates are way lower then they will be for the Camaro. You should call them back and ask for a quote for a '09 Mustang GT for a better idea.
I will check into that too and let everyone know what I find out. Thanks.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #7
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk1 View Post
First let me say that I am ordering a new 2SS in Feb no matter what, but I do have a quick question that hopefully somebody can help me out with. I am a 25 year old male, with a clean driving record. Up to this point I have always had used cars with only liability. Does anybody have an idea of what I should expect to pay for full coverage on a 2SS? Thanks in advance, and yes I know that description sounded like its from a singles site, so no comments on that, haha.
Nobody here can give you an exact quote but from the quotes given to people from their insurance company on here and from people I've talked to, the ranges go from $1,600-$4,000 a year depending on age and location. At 25 I suspect yours will be in the $1,600-$2,000 a year range in you live in a small town or in the $2,000-$3,000 a year range if you live in a big city.

Call or visit you agent and ask for a quote on a '09 Mustang GT. The Camaro will be higher but they'll be close.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #8
Mormegil

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/07 Silverado 4.8
My insurance company didn't have the Camaro in the system either. Would a more realistic comparison be a Mustang GT, Challenger R/T, or a Challenger SRT?

The Mustang doesn't have anywhere near the amount of horsepower that my 2SS will have. The R/T is the closest in price comparison, but the SRT is closest in displacement and horsepower, but it is 6-7K more expensive. What would be the best comparison?
Mormegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
I checked with my agent and compared a Mustang GT and a Shelby GT500...prices was the same as I pay now with the GT and $54 more every 6 months for the GT500.

I drive a Saab 93 Aero (turbo V6)...so I don't expect the insurance to be much different than I pay now...maybe a tad higher. But I am 42 and have a clean driving record and the Saab was about the same price as the 2SS I'm buying.

Prices will vary and without the Camaro in the system it will be tough to say how much it will be. I only called my agent to get an ideal and realize it will be different once I actually get the car and they have it in their system.
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
justmeron

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to justmeron
GO high then you will be pleasently surprised if the cost is lower. So ask about the SRT price.
justmeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:27 AM   #11
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
yeah, i would expect corvette rates to be cheaper since their drivers typically drive them like museum pieces.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #12
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
Quote:
That's exactly what I did. They used the most expensive mustang GT in their database for a comparison (I'm getting a 2SS).

They quoted me $984 per year or $82 per month for those that might pay monthly. I am 36, married, homeowner with a perfect driving history.
FirstLSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Thats completely not true. I was an agent licensed in over 30 states. First off the Corvette is a Sports car no matter where you go (thats a huge myth that they are luxury cars since they are often owned by the over 50 crowd, almost as bad as the Red cars cost more myth), secondly it is not automatically classed as a weekend car. Its classed based on your use (heck I drove my vette daily). And a big component of the rates is cost to repair. The Vette will very likely cost more to repair in an accident than a Camaro (since panels cant be fixed).

Hoever if you are looking for a ballpark I would say the Vette is the best thing to calculate it off of, the performance is similar and the cost to repair is likely more, so hence in the end you will get a rate and then when you do get the car it will likely be a bit lower making for a nice day all around. The Mustang since it's been out for a few years and far more common than the Vette is likely cheaper to repair. Everyone's given a pretty good answer here, just get your own quote its impossible to campare to what others here pay.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:05 PM   #14
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Thats completely not true. I was an agent licensed in over 30 states. First off the Corvette is a Sports car no matter where you go (thats a huge myth that they are luxury cars since they are often owned by the over 50 crowd, almost as bad as the Red cars cost more myth), secondly it is not automatically classed as a weekend car. Its classed based on your use (heck I drove my vette daily). And a big component of the rates is cost to repair.
But what company was you an agent for? Just because that was how your agency was doesn't mean all are that way.