Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #15
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
i like vinyl as you can change them if you want a new look down the road.
, and higher grade than OEM is quite possible but beware of the " warranty"
with dealer installed ones at least you know your covered for those first 3 years i believe.

with ebay ones or vendor ones they prob wont honor any manufactur claims.

either way with a good install and a good wax they should list 10+ years no prob

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #16
Deeboe
Bowtie, FOR LIFE!!!!

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS SW/IOM Interrior
I dont like it bro sounds bootleg, Im still sticking with the paint and clear, makes the car look more "official" but hey a camaro is "OFFICIAL"
2010 CGM SS/RS A6 (RIP)
one pissed SS right there!!!!

Last edited by Deeboe; 07-08-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Deeboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #17
hot ss

Drives: aqua 2ss l99
3m 220 series is indeed automotive grade premium cast vinyl. it is on a wax paper backing.
7720 is same vinyl on a clear synthetic liner, so the adhesive is perfectly flat, which is way harder to install without bubbles.
180 is same material with air channels built into the adhesive, so a rookie can install without bubbles. 180 has a cross-hatch pattern in it, but it is a dream to remove down the road.

tones2SS....a shop will buy the roll, and they have to manufature 3M's material into stripes. it doesnt magically come out of an oven looking like it'll fit a camaro hood!

i would love a chev rep chime in and say exactly what they are using. i have a suspicion GFX (which uses avery premium), is working on them. just a guess.
hot ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #18
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot ss View Post
3m 220 series is indeed automotive grade premium cast vinyl. it is on a wax paper backing.
7720 is same vinyl on a clear synthetic liner, so the adhesive is perfectly flat, which is way harder to install without bubbles.
180 is same material with air channels built into the adhesive, so a rookie can install without bubbles. 180 has a cross-hatch pattern in it, but it is a dream to remove down the road.

tones2SS....a shop will buy the roll, and they have to manufature 3M's material into stripes. it doesnt magically come out of an oven looking like it'll fit a camaro hood!

i would love a chev rep chime in and say exactly what they are using. i have a suspicion GFX (which uses avery premium), is working on them. just a guess.

Wow thanks for that info, very informative.
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #19
sheesh

Drives: nonr
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
IMHO, getting the stripes painted on is the only way to go.
As far as the description you have here. Be careful and read it a couple of times. First they say the product is made by 3M, then they say the product is made in-house when ordered? Kind of weird? Make sure you do some research first. GOOD LUCK!
I have to step in here because I also work in the graphics industry.

1. "They say the product is made by 3M" meaning the vinyl used to create your graphic is a 3M product and IMO 3M makes the best product on the market for vehicle graphics.

2. "They say the product is made in house" meaning they then take the '3M vinyl' and digitally print or cut your graphics from it.

We've been in the business since 1989 and we've found that 3M is always the way to go. We also have some of the best installers in the industry and have been doing graphics for the local dealers in and around the Oshawa area and GM itself for about as long as we've been open (including the giant vehicle on the front of the Canadian GM Headquaters.)

if you have any questions regarding vinyl graphics please feel free to ask here or over at getwrapped.ca

Regards.
sheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #20
sheesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav1 View Post
I emailed the vendor and asked him.. Which one do I want it to be? He said they were 3M scotchcal 220
you want the scotchcal 220. if you're going with the metallic colors, you want them to laminate it as well.. metallic does not fade nicely as it wears over the years.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #21
sav1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheesh View Post
you want the scotchcal 220. if you're going with the metallic colors, you want them to laminate it as well.. metallic does not fade nicely as it wears over the years.
sheesh, thanks for stepping in here.. I'm looking at two vendors one has the 3m 220 they said they'll sell them to me for $250.00.. and the other has Premium Cast Avery Dennison 2 mil 8 Year Vinyl for $158.00 (sale price) . In your expert opinion, which way do I go? Or can you offer something better or of same quality around same price?

Last edited by sav1; 07-09-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #22
sheesh

Quote:
sheesh, thanks for stepping in here.. I'm looking at two vendors one has the 3m 220 they said they'll sell them to me for $250.00.. and the other has Premium Cast Avery Dennison 2 mil 8 Year Vinyl for $158.00 (sale price) . In your expert opinion, which way do I go? Or can you offer something better or of same quality around same price?
Hey Sav1, both are good in there own ways. The Avery will have a little better sheen to them, whereas the 3m will last longer and not degrade. This is helpful if you ever wanted to update the look down the road. 3m is known to have the better product.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #23
sav1

Quote:
Hey Sav1, both are good in there own ways. The Avery will have a little better sheen to them, whereas the 3m will last longer and not degrade. This is helpful if you ever wanted to update the look down the road. 3m is known to have the better product.
Thanks man, I'm going to buy the Avery, I want a good gloss, and I may change it up after 2 years anyways.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #24
sheesh

Quote:
Thanks man, I'm going to buy the Avery, I want a good gloss, and I may change it up after 2 years anyways.
Cool.. just make sure you see some examples of their work before letting them stripe your car.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #25
sav1

Quote:
Cool.. just make sure you see some examples of their work before letting them stripe your car.
ahhaha, ya I have an example ON MY car now.. THE BLACK MATTE LOL.. He did a fantastic job on install, i just hate the matte black..