Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 10-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
VC 23123a violation

Defensible or screwed?

23123. (a) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle while using a wireless telephone unless that telephone is specifically designed and configured to allow hands-free listening and talking, and is used in that manner while driving.

Summary of event:

Quick look at Map App whilst stopped at a red light.
Lone female in (an unsavory) unfamiliar area at night checking map location because Freeway on-ramp was closed - not safe to pull over to check(?)

Call records show no call use 2 hours (7:22 PM) prior to stop - 9:40 PM
Data records show use at 9:39 PM

There was no time lag putting the car in motion from the change of the red light to green - not distracted.

What say you one, what say you all?
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
...Stopped at a red light is still considered driving....looking at an app on a phone is still using a wireless telephone....She could have still found a safe place to park and check her app, use her phone...."Unsavory" excuse is bs....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Any use is enough for them to get you...I see cops on bicycles at intersections here in the valley whose sole purpose is to write tickets for people using their phones at stoplights...and from talking to one of them, they don't care if your talking or texting or using an app, its a violation and they give a ticket...
Old 10-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
Any use is enough for them to get you...I see cops on bicycles at intersections here in the valley whose sole purpose is to write tickets for people using their phones at stoplights...and from talking to one of them, they don't care if your talking or texting or using an app, its a violation and they give a ticket...

use is use. caught red handed take your medicine and be a good citizen instead of trying to fight something that you admit is wrong and waste tax payer money.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
That's good hate that can cause an accident by not paying attention just like a DUI if your drunk in the car same as if you were driving
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
fussboss

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
If the cops are not on their cell phone and they see you then they will get you. It really bugs me how often I see a cop - phone to ear driving around.
fussboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fussboss View Post
If the cops are not on their cell phone and they see you then they will get you. It really bugs me how often I see a cop - phone to ear driving around.
They are exempt from that law. Nothing we can do except be jealous
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
130R

Drives: SS
I would try to fight it. The spirit or intent of the law is to keep people focused on the road while driving their vehicles. If you were in fact fully at a stop at a red light, just glanced at the phone, and had it back out of view before the light turned green, I would have a hard time believing you would be found guilty, ESPECIALLY with your supporting documents showing you were not engaged in a phone call at the time.

The fact the law specifically mentions: "hands-free listening and talking", implies the term "using" to mean talking with someone.

How would looking at a map on your phone be any different than looking at a Thomas guide or foldout map at a red light?

Seems like a chicken-shit ticket if you ask me...
130R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I got one while at a stop light as well,i did trial by declaration.I sated my case to the judge and won,so i say do the same.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #10

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
I would try to fight it. The spirit or intent of the law is to keep people focused on the road while driving their vehicles. If you were in fact fully at a stop at a red light, just glanced at the phone, and had it back out of view before the light turned green, I would have a hard time believing you would be found guilty, ESPECIALLY with your supporting documents showing you were not engaged in a phone call at the time.

The fact the law specifically mentions: "hands-free listening and talking", implies the term "using" to mean talking with someone.

How would looking at a map on your phone be any different than looking at a Thomas guide or foldout map at a red light?

I heard a similar news story not too long ago...and you are correct. It is illegal to use your phone, for talking, directions, etc. if it is hand held.

It is not illegal to pick up a paper map and look at it. Hen-house, perhaps, but that's how the law is interpreted. There is no law against looking at or holding an old-fashioned map.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
A 3 judge panel decided about a year and a half ago...looking at/texting/talking/checking email/map/etc on a cell phone at a red-light is the same thing. Ticket! No need to fight it, the original guy that fought it was a lawyer...he lost!
Old 10-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #12
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post

http://www.dmv.org/articles/californ...while-driving/

The law for use of a mobile device while in operation of a motor vehicle requires that you not only come to a complete stop, but also put the car in park, or engage the parking brake.

Failure to do so will result in a citation. The intent is to remove all operation of the car prior to use of the device. If you pull over to the side of the road and only have your foot on the brake, it is a violation.
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
130R

Drives: SS
^That's interesting, but as the person who responded right after me, it can be beat. If this law is THAT strict, then adjusting your stereo or air conditioning could be considered distracted driving.

I don't know how Steven Spriggs plead his case, but he must not have done a very good job. Let's face it, every day speeders get cases dismissed, drunk drivers get cases dismissed, and at the same time, many that commit the same offense don't. How a case is presented is a BIG factor. Have you ever sat in on a traffic court proceeding? Pretty darn funny...

No-where in the law, nor in the article is there any mention of having the car in park.

Again, the spirit of the law, and the wording of the law in regards to the term 'using', make it a winnable case under the circumstances of the OP. IMHO naturally...
130R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #14
IkoIko
IkoIko

Drives: '12 2SS 6MT Victory Red
Send a message via AIM to IkoIko
Clearly you are frustrated, but you still have the citation to deal with. Rather than run the risk of losing, why not ask for Traffic School? Traffic School can be completed on-line and the entire violation is erased if you do not commit any other violations for 14 months. Either way, I wish you well.
IkoIko is offline   Reply With Quote