Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
fzm84

Drives: 2013 2SS / 1LE - Ordered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doglife1LE View Post
Did you know without unions you wouldn't have an 8 hour work day and weekends? Just a fun fact for you.
I'm without a union, and I work 5 days a week at 8 hours a day...

Unions had their time - but it's come and gone.

On topic: It's sad to see that this kind of stuff can halt production down an entire assembly line, and not only affect their own jobs - but the jobs of people who are also held up because of this.
fzm84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
rrpilot

Drives: Chevy Trailblazer, Ford Flex
Quote:
Did you know without unions you wouldn't have an 8 hour work day and weekends? Just a fun fact for you.
To bad your fact its in fact not true. I see another person has been feed the union line without looking up the facts for themselves. I would state the true fact but I wasn't to see were this conversation may go. I hope others might know the truth and post here.
rrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #17
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzm84 View Post
I'm without a union, and I work 5 days a week at 8 hours a day...

Unions had their time - but it's come and gone.

On topic: It's sad to see that this kind of stuff can halt production down an entire assembly line, and not only affect their own jobs - but the jobs of people who are also held up because of this.
AMEN!! There was a time and a place, but now they basically just serve against darwins theory of natural selection. If you need a job you'll show up to work on time all the time and give at least 80% while you are there. Not going on strike because you want a .10 cent raise. Every time I got a raise I earned it by working hard and sometimes harder than the next guy and I deserved it.
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #18
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
My wife was in a union, and every time they went out on strike the only one that came out on the deal was the union it's self. Whatever they got for the workers usually ened up being ate up with increased union dues... They are a ripoff to the worker now.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #19
Doglife1LE

Drives: 2013 1LE, 2004 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpilot View Post
To bad your fact its in fact not true. I see another person has been feed the union line without looking up the facts for themselves. I would state the true fact but I wasn't to see were this conversation may go. I hope others might know the truth and post here.
I'm not in a union now, but I was Union Carpenter for 5 years. I'm not saying it was perfect by any means. One thing I hated about it was during elections they would try to tell everyone who to vote for. I like to form my own opinions on candidates. From what I have read and not fed our ancestors formed unions for labor laws that helped bring you days off of work and scheduled work hours less than Sun up to Sun down. If I'm wrong show me some proof I will gladly read it and form an opinion. I will also state I was wrong. I have no problems with that.
Doglife1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #20
Doglife1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
AMEN!! There was a time and a place, but now they basically just serve against darwins theory of natural selection. If you need a job you'll show up to work on time all the time and give at least 80% while you are there. Not going on strike because you want a .10 cent raise. Every time I got a raise I earned it by working hard and sometimes harder than the next guy and I deserved it.
I agree that people should have to work hard to keep your job and/or receive an increase in pay or a promotion. When I was a carpenter I saw a lot of guys get the boot because there production wasn't up to par. I'm not saying it's like that everywhere because it's not. I also was not talking about current times in my first statement.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #21
rrpilot

I appreciate your comments and especially calm reply, to many people jump straight to being offended and flame on. Debate and conversation its what its all about and of course being respectful, which sometimes I need to remind myself.

I will give a hint though, "Henry Ford".
Old 10-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #22
Doglife1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpilot View Post
I appreciate your comments and especially calm reply, to many people jump straight to being offended and flame on. Debate and conversation its what its all about and of course being respectful, which sometimes I need to remind myself.

I will give a hint though, "Henry Ford".
Thanks. I'm not offended by any means. I don't defend unions or bash them. I've worked Union jobs and non-union jobs. I'm currently working Non-Union as a Network Admin. I was just under the impression that's how weekends were formed. I'm actually trying to research this to get my facts straight.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #23
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
This thread has gotten WAY too political. Glad my 1LE will have seats!!
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #24
Doglife1LE

So I found this article and read it. I still need to look further into this because he does not list his sources.

http://www.libertyreborn.com/2011/03...ot-the-unions/
Old 10-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #25
Doglife1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
This thread has gotten WAY too political. Glad my 1LE will have seats!!
Indeed this is the best thing and the most important. I apologize for starting this.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #26
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Indeed this is the best thing and the most important. I apologize for starting this.
Your sense of humor reminds me of steven wright.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #27
rrpilot

Hey it is a good discussion after all.

2014 will mark the 100 year anniversary of when Henry Ford revolutionized the auto industry by implementing the assembly line concept in addition he doubled his workers salary and reduced the work day from 9 hours to 8. This was unheard of and Ford was highly criticizer, but it paid off in spades. This was done many years before any auto union existed. This is well documented in many articles published over the years. Henry Ford was a true pioneer and innovator and we all owe some gratitude for what he did. Good article from FoMoCo, http://corporate.ford.com/our-compan...650-henry-ford
Old 10-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #28
Doglife1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Your sense of humor reminds me of steven wright.
I was actually being sincere . Plus I have no clue who Steven Wright is.