Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 07-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
bkwagonss

Drives: 2011 Caprice PPV
Article in Automobile about Grand Am

There is an interesting article in July Automobile magazine about Grand Am racing.
They talk about how other road racing series haven't worked out too well in the past and how Grand Am should be the one that's here to stay.

One of the reasons they stated was that NASCAR started the series (which I didn't know) and now it's the goal of Grand Am to keep the racing even and fair. They have rules in place to keep it that way and they also have rules to keep the cost down so more teams can afford it.

They also say having all the races shown on a national tv channel helps.
Other racing series in the past and now like ALS don't.
I wish Speed would show the Continential race live, but at least it's shown.

I tell you what, I'm hooked!
I started watching the series because I have a Camaro.
But now I DVR or watch live every race.
I don't even do that with NASCAR anymore.
Grand Am is much more exciting!
1971 C10 (restoring, including LT1 from Caprice)
bkwagonss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
JEP

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro 2SS 6speed
totally agree.
NASCAR is boring compared to road racing, especially considering Grand Am racing has actual production cars in the GT class while NASCAR no longer uses production-based cars.

We can pull for OUR car instead of pulling for some guy in a billboard suit.
JEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwagonss View Post
There is an interesting article in July Automobile magazine about Grand Am racing.
They talk about how other road racing series haven't worked out too well in the past and how Grand Am should be the one that's here to stay.

One of the reasons they stated was that NASCAR started the series (which I didn't know) and now it's the goal of Grand Am to keep the racing even and fair. They have rules in place to keep it that way and they also have rules to keep the cost down so more teams can afford it.

They also say having all the races shown on a national tv channel helps.
Other racing series in the past and now like ALS don't.
I wish Speed would show the Continential race live, but at least it's shown.

I tell you what, I'm hooked!
I started watching the series because I have a Camaro.
But now I DVR or watch live every race.
I don't even do that with NASCAR anymore.
Grand Am is much more exciting!

+1,000,000!!!!

Grand-Am is my new FAVORITE form of auto racing....I am a lifelong NASCAR fan, but seeing those Camaros racing in the Grand-Am Series gets my heart pounding!!!

I hope that someday the Continental Series airs LIVE on Speed TV...until then, I follow the LIVE feed on grand-am.com on race day, and watch the tape-delayed race again, even though I know the outcome

Jeff Bucknum, who drives the #6 Mitchum Motorsports Camaro, is my new best friend!!!...I met him in person at Oshawa for the Camaro Homecoming...he is awesome!!!...what a nice, down-to-earth guy!!!

Here's a picture of me and Jeff in front of my HWAY STR at Oshawa!!!...I was seriously 'star-struck'
Attached Images

Last edited by "prima"Donna; 07-22-2011 at 10:09 PM.
"prima"Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEP View Post
totally agree.
NASCAR is boring compared to road racing, especially considering Grand Am racing has actual production cars in the GT class while NASCAR no longer uses production-based cars.

We can pull for OUR car instead of pulling for some guy in a billboard suit.
Amen to that!!!!
Old 07-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Sadly, Grand Am was purchased by NASCAR a few years ago and they are currently destroying the Continental Tire Series.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
I'm the same boat, I started watching Grand Am in part because of my Camaro. The other part was from playing Forza Motorsport 3. Having NASCAR behind it is a big help. I watch the American Le Mans Series also and I know there are a decent amount of angry and vocal fans that hate that they don't show live ALMS races on broadcast or cable TV (I'm not one of them, I like the ESPN3 format). Having drivers like Jeff Bucknum on these forums is also another big reason I watch Grand Am.

It would be nice to see more manufacturers in Grand Am though.

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote