Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 06-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
DIY - Removing the Shift Knob

I did a very, very simple swap of the shift knob from the rubber knob to the convenience and connectivity package leather knob. You just pop the silver trim off with a flathead screwdriver (or something similar) starting on the cupholder side, lay that to the side, and unscrew the four phillips screws for the shift boot. The part I got hung up on was how to remove the actual shift knob. It was too simple. Basically, you just have to hulk up and pull the damn thing straight up off the shifter. But make sure you don't hit yourself in the face like I did, haha. The new one goes on, screw the four screws back on, put the silver trim back on, and you are ready to go.
Attached Images

Last edited by Brownhornitt; 06-12-2010 at 02:29 AM.
Brownhornitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Yup! I did the same thing! Gave myself a bloody lip ;(

It is easy, just takes a bit of force!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I think it helps to rock it left and right, and forward and backward while maintaining upward pressure... not unlike opening a bottle of champaign...

I do remember it taking about 5 minutes to work it off.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
Kumar07

Drives: black with white stripe
is it the same way to remove a auto gear knob?
Kumar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar07 View Post
is it the same way to remove a auto gear knob?
No. To remove auto knob all you do is turn key to acc position. pull handle back to M. Then non the back of the handle at the bottom near where it meets the dust cover you will find a tiny plastic tab that can be popped out on the rear of the handle. Pop that out and inside the hole you will find a #10 torx head screw. Unscrew that and the knob pulls very easily off.

Reinstall in reverse. If you have a small driver and bit ready to go you can do the swap in under 60 seconds flat.

The easiest way to do this is from the passenger side for more room.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
Kumar07

Drives: black with white stripe
thanks i will try tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
No. To remove auto knob all you do is turn key to acc position. pull handle back to M. Then non the back of the handle at the bottom near where it meets the dust cover you will find a tiny plastic tab that can be popped out on the rear of the handle. Pop that out and inside the hole you will find a #10 torx head screw. Unscrew that and the knob pulls very easily off.

Reinstall in reverse. If you have a small driver and bit ready to go you can do the swap in under 60 seconds flat.

The easiest way to do this is from the passenger side for more room.
Kumar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I am gonna do this later. If I give myself a black eye I'll post a pic!! Thanks guys!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #8
2SSCamaroChris
Making heads turn!

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3
Got a question - My girl got me a new shift knob and the new one looks to be threaded. She did her due diligence and talked to a friend that works for Chevy and he said it unscrews. I'm going to put this on tonight or tomorrow and will be sure to wear my hockey helmet.
2SSCamaroChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #9
punkindave
The Great Punkin

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
2013 up has a set screw in it and you'll destroy the knob forcing it off without removing the screw
BTW: The OEM stick is NOT threaded.
Don't ask how I know this!! LOL
Old 03-21-2015, 06:28 PM   #10
Lonnieg3

Drives: 2011 LS
Removing the shifter knob hack for 10-12' Camaro

So I was reefing like a mutherf#%^er trying to remove my old shifter knob
And saw on almost every forum and instructional video that everyone kept pulling up on it (insert pun here) , with some literally giving themselves black eyes.

Well after an hour of cursing, I lifted up the boot and I took a pair of pliers and gripped directly across the metal stick just below the knob (literally level and touching bottom of knob). Then firmly lifted up one side of the pliers about 45 degrees and the knob slowly glided up and off the stick.

There you go! Much easier than a punch in the face or kick in the balls for that matter wasting all that time pulling on it lol :p
Lonnieg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:45 PM   #11
Cubswin

Drives: 2014 1LE
Best way to replace the knob only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCamaroChris View Post
Got a question - My girl got me a new shift knob and the new one looks to be threaded. She did her due diligence and talked to a friend that works for Chevy and he said it unscrews. I'm going to put this on tonight or tomorrow and will be sure to wear my hockey helmet.
I have an aftermarket threaded "8 ball" shifter, what is the easiest way to install this on my 2014 1LE?
Cubswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 03:32 PM   #12
Iceintheback

Drives: 15 Commemorative Edition Camaro 2SS
Well call me one of the lucky ones, I cannot get that MF'er off for the life of me. Now, I'm a rather big dude (6'1" 235 lbs.) and I'll be damned if the thing will come off. Since I'm changing shifters, I'm inclined to simply cut the thing off. What a pain!
Iceintheback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 03:53 PM   #13
Iceintheback

Drives: 15 Commemorative Edition Camaro 2SS
UPDATE - So, I finally get the damned thing off and I'll be dipped in S**t if there wasn't a screw on the right side of the shifter hidden so that I couldn't see it until I finally pulled the thing off and cracked the shifter handle. No where have I read that a screw even exists there????

I have a 2015 Commemorative Edition 2SS/RS 6.2 Liter 6MT. Anyone know more about this?

Thank you.
Iceintheback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 10:45 PM   #14
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286692
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote