Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #29
Briand069

Drives: 1997/1969 Camaro's
So, I contacted the ARB to get clarification, see my response in the Calif thread

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=90
Old 08-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #30
noah677
Account Suspended

Drives: White Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briand069 View Post
So, I contacted the ARB to get clarification, see my response in the Calif thread

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=90
If I am reading what you posted correctly that means to me that nobody is going to pass the California smog test with any kind of tune------ is this what you are saying?? If it is everyone in CA needs to know this
noah677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #31
Briand069

Drives: 1997/1969 Camaro's
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah677 View Post
If I am reading what you posted correctly that means to me that nobody is going to pass the California smog test with any kind of tune------ is this what you are saying?? If it is everyone in CA needs to know this
From the response that ARB gave that is what my feeling is. This is why I have held off doing any tune for even a gear change until I know what to expect. What I don't know and didn't ask is what happens if you fail.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #32
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah677 View Post
If we assume the worst case scenerio, it would end dyno tuning in the state of California.

I think this is a little extreme. It may be pertaining to certain perameters of the smog components. If the program deliberately has the flags turned off. It might be looking for tables that have been modified for maximum efficiency of a part like cam or heads that are not CARB certified.

It may be as bad as it sounds. But until I hear somebody say they failed smog because of a tune, I reserve final conclusion.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #33
Cajun8

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th AE, Hurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonk View Post
Alabama

If I didn't have to live in that place before I wouldn't find the humor. I'll keep my mountains, weather, entertainment, scenery, and fine cuisine rather than having to look at people wear camouflage all year driving pickup trucks dreaming of the next 'muddin' trip. Pretty sure there is more modded cars here in California than there is registered vehicles in the great state of Alabama.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #34
LS1 Fun

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1 Fun View Post
the newer computers (ECU) in most cars now can detect and log ANY software changes (Tuning).

It is only a matter of time before the current smog test is modified to read these newer parameters in the newer ECU's.
Quoted again since everyone seems to have missed this.

Guys, this has been in the works for awhile. 2004 and up ECU's have this logging capability already. Briand069 just confirmed that its only a matter of time before they take advantage of it for smog testing.

Yes, this will mean the end of tuning for 04+ vehicles if you want to remain smog legal.
2017 Lexus GS350F
LS1 Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #35
noah677
Account Suspended

Well I am glad this was posted before I pulled the trigger. To me if it is just a matter of time then I guess I will not be pulling the trigger – which is extremely extremely disappointing to me. However I wouldn't underestimate good old American Ingenuity in terms of attacking this problem. If it can be done with the computer it can also be undone with the computer. There are some extremely smart guys out there who can figure this problem out and get us an answer. For example maybe it is reasonable to run dual CPU s Both running at the same time and gathering the same amount of data so that the mileage and so forth matches. The only probleom I see right off the bat is that if you switch back to the original untouched CPU will the Car run in order for you to get it to the smog control center and will it run well enough so that it passes smog test. However these are questions for the brainiacs. I think CA is a big enough market to make this problem worth attacking
Old 08-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #36
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Alabama

If I didn't have to live in that place before I wouldn't find the humor. I'll keep my mountains, weather, entertainment, scenery, and fine cuisine rather than having to look at people wear camouflage all year driving pickup trucks dreaming of the next 'muddin' trip. Pretty sure there is more modded cars here in California than there is registered vehicles in the great state of Alabama.
Quote:
Sorry I guess I did.

Sorry OP asked a question about modding in California...doesn't really pertain to ZL1s or Alabama for that matter.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #37
noah677
Account Suspended

Is it possible in some fashion to run DUAL ECUs??? I read that certain tuners are offering an option that can switch the tune back-and-forth with a simple flick of the switch has anybody heard of this? Is it possible? will it do us any good in California?

I suppose another way of looking at this entire situation is that u have 6 years before your first CA smog check, regardless of what the dealer does. 6 years is a long time to play

Last edited by noah677; 08-11-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #38
ryguy84

Drives: Nothing yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
If we assume the worst case scenerio, it would end dyno tuning in the state of California.

I think this is a little extreme. It may be pertaining to certain perameters of the smog components. If the program deliberately has the flags turned off. It might be looking for tables that have been modified for maximum efficiency of a part like cam or heads that are not CARB certified.

It may be as bad as it sounds. But until I hear somebody say they failed smog because of a tune, I reserve final conclusion.
California gets more and more ridiculous! Just like they require diesels to be smogged what a joke. But would you expect anything different from whack jobs look at what they just passed into law regarding children who feel that are of the gender can use any restroom they want now!
ryguy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #39
dixonk

Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy84 View Post
California gets more and more ridiculous! Just like they require diesels to be smogged what a joke. But would you expect anything different from whack jobs look at what they just passed into law regarding children who feel that are of the gender can use any restroom they want now!
Sometimes I wish I could go into the women's bathroom. The men's room is F*ing nasty! Lol
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #40
ryguy84

Drives: Nothing yet
Quote:
Sometimes I wish I could go into the women's bathroom. The men's room is F*ing nasty! Lol
Lol! Its you I hear in the ladies room tapping your foot!
ryguy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:30 AM   #41
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Now you can, thanks to Jerry Brown. I think you have to be a student though.

Last edited by SS PANTHER; 08-15-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: ,
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #42
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy84 View Post
Yep, I think Gov Brown really stepped in it this time. But he really doesn't care. He's going to do what ever he wants and nobody seems to be able to stop him.
But that is a subject for another forum.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote