Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
bionick

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
P2097 CEL CODE

So I've read some posts on here but didn't really get an answer.
But basically, I have had no problems with my vehicle (2012 LFX). Last Friday, I installed the Solo performance High Flow cats designed for the LFX. I've put on a good couple hundred miles on them since the install and then today as I was driving to California from Phoenix and my CEL Came on so I called OnStar and they said the code was P2097. I'm assuming this issue is due to the high flow cats, any suggestions?
Old 11-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Disconnect battery over night. That should reset the code.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
bionick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Disconnect battery over night. That should reset the code.
Thanks for the response. Will this permanently get rid of the light? Or will it just be a temporary fix?
Old 11-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Drives: Camaro Jeep Abarth 944 325i
Is it just me or are our check engine lights different/special. I had mine come on for forgetting to install the MAF sensor, plugged that puppy back in and after two startups the CEL was gone. Never had I owned a car where the light reset itself once said problem was resolved. Always had to use a scanner to clear it.

Sorry to sidetrack, but with this said, you may have a recurring problem, but either unplug your battery like the above poster mentioned or go to AdvanceAuto or the like and have them reset it. If it comes back on, you've got a problem to look into. They'll tell ya what the code means too.

Suspension Mods: BMR and JPSS Sways, BMR Poly Bushings, BMR strut tower brace, BMR control arms, BMR toe arms, stock springs and struts
Engine Mods: All bolt ons (haha)
Brake Mods: Brembo SS caliper swap front and rear
Airmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
bionick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmaster View Post
Is it just me or are our check engine lights different/special. I had mine come on for forgetting to install the MAF sensor, plugged that puppy back in and after two startups the CEL was gone. Never had I owned a car where the light reset itself once said problem was resolved. Always had to use a scanner to clear it.

Sorry to sidetrack, but with this said, you may have a recurring problem, but either unplug your battery like the above poster mentioned or go to AdvanceAuto or the like and have them reset it. If it comes back on, you've got a problem to look into. They'll tell ya what the code means too.
Yeah I've had a CEL come on before (glitch in my system) and it cleared by itself as well after 2 or 3 quick runs. I disconnected my battery earlier and have went on two drives and it's not back on yet, so hopefully my car realizes that there's no problem and it stays good. It's driving perfectly fine, same power and same MPG which I was told this code can effect MPG
Old 11-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
bionick

If it comes back I'm gonna check for any leaks in my new cats, since I read that this can cause that code as well
Old 11-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Sp00ner

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Good explanation of the code(s) here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102750

The meat of it:

DTC P2097
Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System High Limit Bank 1

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The rich correction limit for a condition causing a lean air/fuel ratio has been exceeded for greater than 4 seconds or for a cumulative of 30 seconds.

Diagnostic Aids

An HO2S will not cause this DTC to set without the occurrence of circuit related HO2S DTCs. Do not replace an HO2S to address this DTC.
An exhaust system leak that may not be audible can set this DTC
Sp00ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
I had my HFC's installed by a local mechanic and I haven't had a problem with any codes roughly the 5k miles they have been on. My set come with O2 extensions but I can't remember off hand if they go in the front O2 holes or the rear. Just make sure you have them installed and in the proper bungholes. It was my understanding when I asked Solo about the extensions it was for the purpose of eliminating the codes due to the cats being high flow and able to filter up to 6 liters each.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:31 AM   #9
bionick

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
I had my HFC's installed by a local mechanic and I haven't had a problem with any codes roughly the 5k miles they have been on. My set come with O2 extensions but I can't remember off hand if they go in the front O2 holes or the rear. Just make sure you have them installed and in the proper bungholes. It was my understanding when I asked Solo about the extensions it was for the purpose of eliminating the codes due to the cats being high flow and able to filter up to 6 liters each.

Dean.
Still trying to figure it out. There may be a leak in the exhaust manifold but I'm not sure. I emailed solo performance and they weren't any help at all and don't seem to know too much. I asked what the torque specifications were and All the guy said was "tighten it a lot lol". The place I had install it won't cover it if there is anything wrong since it was my part they installed and not theirs, but if I pay for a service, I expect it to be done the right way, so if there is a leak they should be held responsible for not doing the job right so we will see what happens! I wanna get rid of that CEL plus I've heard it's bad for the vehicle to be running too rich
Old 11-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
It's being triggered by the after-cat oh-2 sensor(s). They have to be installed in extensions because of the hi-flows. Not to worry, there's no real problem here, they're just being "fooled."

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
bionick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
It's being triggered by the after-cat oh-2 sensor(s). They have to be installed in extensions because of the hi-flows. Not to worry, there's no real problem here, they're just being "fooled."

John B.
Yeah I've got the rear o2 sensors installed. I'm just concerned because the light is on, and most people don't get a CEL from this mod so I don't understand why I am getting it, but most people aren't?
Old 11-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
did you use the extensions for the rear o2 sensors?

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #13
bionick

Yes I did. From what I've read on here, the rear o2 extenders prevent the code P0420 or something. My friend (who is a certified mechanic) checked it out for a quick minute and said he thinks he heard a leak in the exhaust manifold on the passenger side so it may just be a gasket. The guy who emailed me from solo said most people use the stock gaskets and have no issues so I'm not sure what's going on but hopefully the shop will fix it no charge when I go.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #14
bionick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
did you use the extensions for the rear o2 sensors?
Yes I did. From what I've read on here, the rear o2 extenders prevent the code P0420 or something. My friend (who is a certified mechanic) checked it out for a quick minute and said he thinks he heard a leak in the exhaust manifold on the passenger side so it may just be a gasket. The guy who emailed me from solo said most people use the stock gaskets and have no issues so I'm not sure what's going on but hopefully the shop will fix it no charge when I go.

Tags
cel, lfx, p2097, solo high flow cats