Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 09-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
BlueRayLFX

Drives: BRM 2LT RS "Mara"
Data logging A/F ratio..

So I was just about dead set on getting a tune for my camaro 2lt. I have just about every bolt on mod, so I wanted to get optimal performance out of it. Then I started thinking, if the car is running fine, then there's no need for a tune just yet. So I decided I wanted to log my a/f ratio to see if I'm running where I need to be. I have two questions, first, would something like this work for that?
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=290930379709
I wanted to stay cheap, because if I'm spending close to 100$, I might as well take it to a professional to do it for me. So would that be fine to make sure I'm not running too lean?
Also, second question is there anything else I should be looking out for? Mainly I've seen people getting tuned for a/f ratio, and removing speed/rev limiters. I want the car to still run safely, and I don't track the car, so speed and rev limiters will stay on. So is the only thing making sure my a/f ratio is good?
If that's it, then I'll log it, and save the 500$ if I'm running fine as it is.
Sorry if this seems a little confusing, but I'm not too schooled on tuning.
Thanks.
BlueRayLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
BlueRayLFX

Also, doesn't the computer "relearn" airflow as to not run too lean? I know that's been said about installing the intake. Shouldn't it work the same with everything else?
Old 09-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
'11CamaroLS

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
That won't show air fuel, you have to have a wideband 02 sensor and a gauge to read air fuel. Now that would show your fuel trims and you can get a good idea how your cars running from that. If your fuel trims are good your air fuel should be good. Some mods can cause you to run lean without tune, all depends on the mod. You could go get dyno'd most places hook up a wideband 02 to show air fuel on your runs.
'11CamaroLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #4
BlueRayLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by '11CamaroLS View Post
That won't show air fuel, you have to have a wideband 02 sensor and a gauge to read air fuel. Now that would show your fuel trims and you can get a good idea how your cars running from that. If your fuel trims are good your air fuel should be good. Some mods can cause you to run lean without tune, all depends on the mod. You could go get dyno'd most places hook up a wideband 02 to show air fuel on your runs.
Ah. Yea the place I would be getting a tune from said they can strap it on and read it for me for 100$, which is their hourly rate for dyno time. If it does indeed need the tune, I'm sure they could give me some sort of discount since I'll be getting a tune anyways.
Thanks for the response though. Something was telling me that it wasn't as easy as I thought it was that's why I figured I would ask lol.