Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-04-2015, 08:54 PM   #43
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20131lt View Post
You can not run retreads on the steer tires of tractor trailers they are illegal in every state i am a tractor trailer driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike III View Post
That is where you are so wrong. Better check your ICC - DOT Federal rules.

I've got a Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations Handbook right here on my desk, please give section and part for that regulation to help me find it better.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:56 PM   #44
Chevy_cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I think this is the federal guideline.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations...section/393.75
Question 3: May a vehicle transport HM when equipped with retreaded tires?

Guidance: Yes. The only Commercial Motor Carrier (CMV) that may not utilize retreaded tires is a bus, and then only on its front wheels.

Yep, that's the only one I'm aware of. People maybe mistaking part (e) concerning regrooved tires as also pertaining to retreaded tires but those are completely different things.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:01 PM   #45
Chevy_cowboy

Same code we've been talking about above your post, specifies no retreads on busses, does not mention their use on trucks.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:42 PM   #46
Chevy_cowboy

But back to the topic of road gators... the easy way to tell if it was a tread separation or a casing failure is look for steel, if the gator is all rubber then it was probably a cap that came apart, but if there's steel wire and belts in it, thats a casing failure and has nothing to do with retreads.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:44 PM   #47
Mels RS

Drives: 2015 2LT/RS Vert
Yep! That's the same one I quoted back in post #37.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
Mels RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:00 PM   #48
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
Back in 1996, I had an 18 wheeler go over a six foot retread and the wind drag picked it up and made it airborne, took out a front bumper, (chrome/steel) both headlights, front grill, hood and windshield on my caddy. Could not avoid it cause I was pulling a double waive runner trailer in the RIHT lane behind the truck and couldn't maneuver fast without taking out the trailer and wave runners which were new. I thought I had a good distance, but I learned my lesson the hard way, I was about 4 car lengths behind but it wasn't enough. Lucky to be alive probably. At 55 the impact of a five six feet piece retread is serious business.
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:26 PM   #49
FASTDIESEL

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SLP Cosmetics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
Do you guys think maybe the long haul truckers get the blame for gators, when it could be local haulers doing it? I see sooo many large dump trucks, equipment haulers and cement haulers around here. They've got bald tires, the worst drivers ever, speeding, tailgating, etc.. Usually with a full load of gravel spraying all over anyone following because they didn't use a tarp.

It's extremely dangerous to motorcycle riders. Getting your face sandblasted because some dump truck driving idiot didn't cover his load of sand. I always assumed most gators came from these guys. They NEVER have a visible license plate either.
In the Memphis area, there are hundreds (maybe thousands!) of container carriers, off the rail/intermodal system. There junk trucks outnumber all the others! Half of them shouldn't be on the road. An it ain't just tire caps flying off.....mud flaps, bumper corners, running boards, mufflers, etc. The roads are littered with big truck scrap!
13.244 @ 104.91 100% stock (#17).
Now - Mike Norris catch can. 245/50/19 Firestone Wingfoot A/S on LT2 black powder coated rims (square). 1 7/8" Speed-Engineering LTH, off road pipes, tune.
Now 12.93 @ 109.13.
FASTDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:39 PM   #50
Hetfield03

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black/IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
Do you guys think maybe the long haul truckers get the blame for gators, when it could be local haulers doing it? I see sooo many large dump trucks, equipment haulers and cement haulers around here. They've got bald tires, the worst drivers ever, speeding, tailgating, etc.. Usually with a full load of gravel spraying all over anyone following because they didn't use a tarp.

It's extremely dangerous to motorcycle riders. Getting your face sandblasted because some dump truck driving idiot didn't cover his load of sand. I always assumed most gators came from these guys. They NEVER have a visible license plate either.
Most drivers don't want to drive like that, but they can't make their bosses get it fixed. And if you say you wont drive, they'll probably find someone else who will. Thats the reality. The plates being dirty, thats kinda petty. Thats what happens when you drive a dump truck. As long as they got their decal on the side of the truck, cops really don't care.

Theres plenty of bad drivers whether they're driving trucks or cars.
ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Hetfield03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:40 PM   #51
Hetfield03

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black/IOM
Trucks gotta be inspected yearly, so if its on the road, you can blame your local dot.
ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Hetfield03 is offline   Reply With Quote