Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 02-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #169
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
I must be getting old and saw a 3.2. I still say the 3.6 is with tires spinning, but not really worth debating.
Definitely the lowest I've seen. 3.8-4.0 would be the norm.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:45 PM   #170
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
http://www.torquenews.com/106/why-he...-stingray-race

Interesting 707 HP vs a LT1.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:53 PM   #171
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Have you actually read the multiple media reviews of the SS A8? There's plenty of 4.0s. Or how bout the fast list?

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427506

1.77 60' times and 91mph in the 1/8 pretty much guarantees launches in the 3.8-4.0 range.
Good stuff, thanks for sharing that. Looks like it launches pretty good even on the stock tires if the DRs only made a .06 difference in the 60'. I wonder if you can launch in 2nd gear in the auto to improve that?

Any 11 second off the show room floor car is impressive.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:57 PM   #172
SuperSound

I've personally never heard of anyone getting a false reading out the Dodge Performance pages from spinning. I've seen multiple videos of guys comparing the timer with the time slip at the track and they are withing 100ths of each other. That being said, I can see how spinning excessively could cause it. Most guys probably just let off and reset the timer if the tires light up. Might be why I've never seen anyone complaining the timer was off.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:08 PM   #173
Camaroboy14

Drives: 2002 camaro ss (sold)
Hi guys I'm new to the forum, and I'm looking at buying a car, I had a 2002 camaro ss with some mods and sold it.. I'm currently driving a 09 mini cooper :/ now I'm stuck between the 6th gen ss and a 16 dodge charger scat pack. .. the charger is appealing to me because the room and the power it has, plus semi loaded comes out to 43k msrp... now what's you opinion on the 2 cars? I'm looking for 1/4 mile times for the charger scat pack and can't find much.. any help would be awesome !!!
Old 02-10-2016, 05:20 PM   #174
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroboy14 View Post
Hi guys I'm new to the forum, and I'm looking at buying a car, I had a 2002 camaro ss with some mods and sold it.. I'm currently driving a 09 mini cooper :/ now I'm stuck between the 6th gen ss and a 16 dodge charger scat pack. .. the charger is appealing to me because the room and the power it has, plus semi loaded comes out to 43k msrp... now what's you opinion on the 2 cars? I'm looking for 1/4 mile times for the charger scat pack and can't find much.. any help would be awesome !!!
Welcome to the right thread! I myself am in the same position as you. I like the Charger for the extra room, but the Camaro is closer to my heart.

As far as times for the Charger SP, mid 12s should be easily doable stock. They can be a beast to launch well, but when you master it low 12s are definitely possible. The Camaro will definitely be faster, but not by much. I've done a lot of comparison and the 2SS and Charger SP with similar options work about to about $45k. So you really have to decide if the better all around of the performance is worth it to you, or having similar straight line performance with 4 doors is.

Here's some of the reviews of the Charger: (note you can also look at Challenger SP reviews since they have identical performance)

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/18/2...k-spin-review/

Old 02-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #175
Camaroboy14

Drives: 2002 camaro ss (sold)
Quote:
Welcome to the right thread! I myself am in the same position as you. I like the Charger for the extra room, but the Camaro is closer to my heart.

As far as times for the Charger SP, mid 12s should be easily doable stock. They can be a beast to launch well, but when you master it low 12s are definitely possible. The Camaro will definitely be faster, but not by much. I've done a lot of comparison and the 2SS and Charger SP with similar options work about to about $45k. So you really have to decide if the better all around of the performance is worth it to you, or having similar straight line performance with 4 doors is.

Here's some of the reviews of the Charger: (note you can also look at Challenger SP reviews since they have identical performance)

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/18/2...k-spin-review/
Thanks so much for the help, and what sucks is thay I have not test drove a charger scat yet.. I've only found one in a 30 mile radius and went to drive it and it wasn't there :/ they said it was in transit .. I drove the camaro, I loved it.. but man for me it felt so tight... my wife and brother where there also and they were cramped in the back seat haha ... I think my Bros head was touching the roof the whole time and he's only 5'8.. but I loved the feel of the camaro, the speed, the steering and it just felt fast.. now by any chance do you know if dodge cars are expensive to maintain and add basic bolt on too? Or are they about the same as Chevy cars ? Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #176
SuperSound

Quote:
Thanks so much for the help, and what sucks is thay I have not test drove a charger scat yet.. I've only found one in a 30 mile radius and went to drive it and it wasn't there :/ they said it was in transit .. I drove the camaro, I loved it.. but man for me it felt so tight... my wife and brother where there also and they were cramped in the back seat haha ... I think my Bros head was touching the roof the whole time and he's only 5'8.. but I loved the feel of the camaro, the speed, the steering and it just felt fast.. now by any chance do you know if dodge cars are expensive to maintain and add basic bolt on too? Or are they about the same as Chevy cars ? Thanks again.
I had the same issue finding a Charger to drive. Finally lucked up with a used that had been turned in by a service manager. His wife told him they needed a truck instead(really?!?). The Charger feels big period. No way around it, but the SP felt much tighter and firmer ride than the R/T I drove.

On the other hand, the Camaro is small period. It's fine for 2 people, but don't plan on using that backseat for anything more than emergencies. To me it was the small, tighter, and sportier feeling of the Camaro I like more. The Camaro feels like a driver's car, whereas the Charger SP feels like a Grand Tourer. If you think you will use the other 2 doors more than a few times a year, the Charger is the one to get. Unless you have another car you can use for those duties!

As far as aftermarket, you won't find much for the Dodges unfortunately. There is some stuff, but not nearly as much as the Camaro will have. Upkeep to me will probably be the same. Dodge has maybe a few more issues with QC, but the new Camaro has it's bugs to work out too.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:50 PM   #177
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Since you are in a Cooper, you are asking the wrong question, both cars are fast, the Camaro is faster and easier to actually drive fast. I assume an A8 and re are talking acceleration.

I also owned a LS1 1998 and that car was like 3500 lbs so I have some experience with how that behaves too. From stock to full boltons and ins, ILE to Hal ajustables, LS1 to LS6 stuff.

The Charger is 4500 lbs and the Camaro is 3750 lbs, that weight is telling in all instances. Where you feel confident with a Cooper in a turn or down a back road, you will feel the complete ungainly weight of the Charger, it is ponderous and tends to plow, it is unresponsive to minor inputs or corrections to the wheel.

I have a built Type R as well as a supercharged 2015 Civic SI, as well as a supercharged Challenger. The Camaro is many ways more like the Type R, very small (compared to Charger), very rigid. You don't feel the subframe and suspension protesting. The power application does not upset the body.

Read any road review and they will all talk about how ungainly the Challenger / Charger are. I think the last Scat Pack had a .87 g cornering, this is Prius territory.

I'll give the Charger a comffey ride, but from a Cooper... um you are literally looking at TWICE the car. What you consider normal in a Cooper will lead to a tree in the Charger. Yes it has power and room but it has NO as in ZERO tossability. It will be come a complete unforgiven whale when pushed. So corners need to be taken with caution not with thrill and anticipation. I've driven a Type R for almost 20 years I know what Cooper drivers are for. Bare acceleration the Camaro and Charger SP are close, for agility they are LIGHT years apart. Not even in the same world.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 02-10-2016 at 07:14 PM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:48 AM   #178
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Quote:
I've personally never heard of anyone getting a false reading out the Dodge Performance pages from spinning. I've seen multiple videos of guys comparing the timer with the time slip at the track and they are withing 100ths of each other. That being said, I can see how spinning excessively could cause it. Most guys probably just let off and reset the timer if the tires light up. Might be why I've never seen anyone complaining the timer was off.
The 1/4 mile timers are actually pretty dang close. It was the 0-60 we found the issues with. A guy did the jack stand test on our Challenger forum and that opened our eyes to how the system was setup. It's literally a stop watch tied to the wheel speed sensors.

It would be pretty easy for "oldman" to prove his times by hooking up a GPS and comparing to his car's timer. I'm sure he believes he is actually getting 3.6 or 3.7 0-60 times, but that's just not the case, especially in a manual car. If he provided some kind of proof, I would be happy to concede and think it pretty cool at the same time. The issue is that he's sharing that data as gospel and folks will read it and think it's true, then look like idiots when they quote it to folks like me that actually know a little something about cars.

Quote:
You're DEFINITELY on the right track with the Scat Pack. It is the best bang for the buck in the line up. You get the 6.4 V8 485HP, the better brakes (Brembo), and some other goodies without the huge price jump to the SRT. My advice, find a used one with low miles. You'll save another $10K. I saw this one locally, and if I didn't already have a Challenger this would be in my garage. This car lists for over $53K and they have it for $44998. ONLY 3K MILES and it's a top of the line SRT8!

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...results%20page

As for a Gen 6 Camaro vs a Charger....you're really comparing apples and oranges and SuperSound gave some good advice about using the rear doors with any frequency. We kind of poke fun at the Charger owners about taking the baby seat out of the back at the track, or being sure to remember to secure their groceries before racing LOL. It's all in good fun though. The Charger is a family car with usable space. Coming from a Mini it's gonna feel like a HUGE car to you in terms of livable space, as well as driving experience. Going from my Challenger to my 370Z is like going from a normal car to a gokart. They're each a lot of fun, but for different reasons. If I were you and really needed a rear seat for OCCASIONAL use, I'd look at the Challenger. You get almost the same amount of room in a nicer body form of the coupe. I can, and have, driven my Challenger 8 or 9 hours to racing events and get out of it and feel like I've been sitting in a Lazyboy. Literally. The cars don't weigh 4500lbs as "oldman" states either. I've weighed mine and it's around 4200 with me in it. Charger is very close to that as well. When I test drove the Camaro, the back seat is not good for much more than holding a backpack. If I got one, I'd even consider yanking it and building a rear seat delete to save weight. I'm 5'10" and with my driver seat in a comfortable position the rear seat back was about 2 inches (I think) from the back seat cushion. No way anyone could sit in it.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:46 AM   #179
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Camaroboy, one last thing I forgot to mention.

Mods for the Dodge platform aren't near as plentiful as will be with the Chevy. SuperSound already mentioned that and is spot on. That has been the ONLY downside to owning this Challenger. There are literally only about 4 or 5 guys that know how to tune the Dodge cars, and Dodge has historically done some odd things with the PCMs to prevent aftermarket tuning as well, like encrypting the PCM with rolling code tech for example. A real PITA. We over come it, but it means fewer aftermarket goodes are available as a result.

Other than that, I'd still recommend a Challenger if you need space. They're fantastic cars stock and 485HP is nothing to sneeze at. The 8 speed auto if fantastic as well.

Camaro's great too, just keep in mind the room available. I feel pretty blessed I can have both as they really have different purposes and personalities. I have a 2002 4Runner (supercharged of course) that I can haul stuff in when needed so car space isn't something I have to consider.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:11 PM   #180
puertoricanfont

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
I cant believe some of the post I just read on here . I dont have a challenger but I did go from a 2010 ss to a 2016 scat pack charger. Initially I was going to trade up for a new SS but I started looking into the new scat pack charger. I needed a vehicle that was more family oriented especially with my little one. Fitting a car seat and being a 6'3" driver in my 10 ss meant that nobody could sit behind me. And when we went to do family things there was no way i could fit a stroller and other baby stuff in the trunk. So the charger was definitely better for me!

Overall at first the scat pack felt slower than my 2010 ss initially . I think it has to do that i went from a 6 speed manual to a 8 speed automatic. But let me tell you this trans shifts so smooth and fast that it tricks you by thinking that the car is slower than it really is. But for a 4200lbs tank, this freaking thing can haul ass.

The biggest downfall with the scat pack is the crappy 245 from factory. This along with its aggressive first gear makes launching somewhat touchy, for me at least. If I try to launch from 2k in the charger I will just smoke the tires for days. I found the best way is just to just to give it 70% throttle from the line and when you feel it hook then give it full throttle. By all means im not a racer at all just a programmer lol

Here is a screen shot of my best time that I was able to get on the scat pack messing around with some traction issues. The 1/4 mile and 0-100 is a little slow as I had to brake because I was running out of road .

Will it be faster than a camaro in stock form? It depends on the drivers. But with equally match driver the camaro will always be faster. But for what it is, the charger is bargain for what you get. Big four door sedan that can crack into the mid 12's with crappy tires.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #181
Speedy1975
FASTER!

^^ I've heard success can be had by launching in 2nd gear. You may try that and improve your times considerably.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #182
PsychoZL1

Drives: 2015 Challenger SRT
I test drove a Scat Pack. I agree the stock 245's suck and don't get much traction in 1st gear if you're driving aggressively.

That's the reason why I put out the extra money and got the SRT. You get 275's, 6-piston Brembos, and some nice tech goodies. The extra 30mm of rubber makes a huge difference!
PsychoZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote