Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #57
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
So I emailed Amsoil technical services and asked the following questions:

I will be installing a roller cam in my 2012 6.2L Ls3 SS camaro and Im trying to figure out which oil to use. Your website indicates Z-Rod is for older engines, are there any downsides to the zinc , etc. The car will be daily driven about 13k miles per year (85% highway), with very few, probably 3-5 track days a year.

I have read about stuck oil check valve issues, and I am trying to avoid this. Which oil should I use?

He replied with this:

Chris;

There are a couple of things to consider in your selection. The Z-Rod oil contains a high level of ZDDP (Zinc). This provides excellent anti wear, but can clog the catalytic converter over time. In addition to the anti wear additive benefit, the Z-Rod is better able to protect the engine in cases where the car is infrequently driven or only for relatively short trips (under about 20 miles), when driven.

Byron Selbrede
Technical Services

AMSOIL INC.
ADDRESS: 1 AMSOIL Center, Superior, WI 54880
E-MAIL:bselbrede@amsoil.com
PHONE:715-392-7101
FAX:715-392-3097

And this:

Chris;

Based on your information, I think I would use the 5W30 Signature Series Oil most of the year and maybe change to the Z-Rod for the races. The stuck oil check valve is caused by using inferior quality oil that produces sludge and deposits. The AMSOIL will avoid this problem.

Byron Selbrede
Technical Services

AMSOIL INC.
ADDRESS: 1 AMSOIL Center, Superior, WI 54880
E-MAIL:bselbrede@amsoil.com
PHONE:715-392-7101
FAX:715-392-3097

So i will probably do something like that, if I know im going to the track, put the Z-rod in, since theres not as much of a point to running Z-Rod year round?

I also found this pdf, comparing their oil to every other brand mentioned here. Amsoil did well, Mobil 1 didnt do so great. And according to the charts, Amsoil can go much longer without being changed, therefore making the cost worth it for the Amsoil. Im sold. The biggest thing to see, is only a couple oils did better than average in every test. Mobil 1 is good in one or two, Red line in a couple, etc.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf Its a good read.

Edit: Bored at work so ill post these
Attached Images

Last edited by vroomapunk; 11-19-2013 at 12:04 PM.
vroomapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #58
nuptualnemesis
NuptualNemesis

Drives: Silver 1SS M6 - 480hp 11.57/120.79
Legal claim for non-warranty repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8daneh View Post
Hi guys, finally got bit. Started it up and rolled about 50 feet and got the dreaded "No Oil Pressure" message. Shut it down. I know you've heard this story before. Here is the twist...

This was already a new pump installed when I did my CAM at 10,000 miles. I am now just over 25,000. JDP motorsports suggested the early change as a preventive measure at that time. Little did they know that the GM pumps continue to fail even in the new year models and was not just a bad batch problem. They have fixed 6 other Camaro's already this year apparently.

So the moral to my story and maybe what you readers should take away is don't replace bad with bad. I am going to put a Melling oil pump in this time which is what JDP is using going forward. I am just hoping that there was no damage up top to add to my grief.

That is all! Have a good day.

I am a Louisiana Attorney with success on denied warranty repair claims for oil pump failure and slave cylinder failure. These are both unrelated to increased torque or horsepower and can not be denied due to engine or computer modifications.

PM me if you are interested in a claim in Louisiana against GM for either of these issues.

Mark A. Holden
nuptualnemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #59
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuptualnemesis View Post
I am a Louisiana Attorney with success on denied warranty repair claims for oil pump failure and slave cylinder failure. These are both unrelated to increased torque or horsepower and can not be denied due to engine or computer modifications.

PM me if you are interested in a claim in Louisiana against GM for either of these issues.

Mark A. Holden
"Numptual Nemesis", are you sure you arent a divorce lawyer?
Old 11-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #60
nuptualnemesis
NuptualNemesis

Drives: Silver 1SS M6 - 480hp 11.57/120.79
That is correct but my practice is not limited to family law. DWI, Personal Injury, Successions, etc.

Divorcefor399.com also includes a lot of good information on DWI and Auto Accidents.

GM paid me $8,500 for failed oil pump under Mangus-Moss Warranty Act. The act also requires manufacturer to pay attorney fees, not the claimant.
nuptualnemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #61
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuptualnemesis View Post
That is correct but my practice is not limited to family law. DWI, Personal Injury, Successions, etc.

Divorcefor399.com also includes a lot of good information on DWI and Auto Accidents.

GM paid me $8,500 for failed oil pump under Mangus-Moss Warranty Act. The act also requires manufacturer to pay attorney fees, not the claimant.
Ill def look you up if I have a claim haha
Old 01-15-2014, 07:43 AM   #62
Abrahams11SS

Drives: 2013 ZL1 V3RT
Pretty sure my Pump failed this morning... waiting for a report from Matt at FSP once we get the car towed and down to him... Hoping its just a pump and easy fix and not the problems like some of the other guys on here had
Abrahams11SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #63
AMERICANMADE

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrahams11SS View Post
Pretty sure my Pump failed this morning... waiting for a report from Matt at FSP once we get the car towed and down to him... Hoping its just a pump and easy fix and not the problems like some of the other guys on here had
This pump failure issue is getting frustrating! Sorry to hear you are now possibly dealing with it. Problem is, we don't REALY know why, is it cam issue, pump issue, wrong oil? There is just not a good control established to use for analysis. We all have some slightly different set up - oem parts, aftermarket parts, oils, tunes, and driving conditions. I am doing another cam swap now from a very mild cam to the more aggressive Night Fury. I will be using Lethals package including high flow Melling. I have been using Mobil 1 since my first swap. I am interested in seeing if the old cam shows any abnormal wear. At this point I think I will change oil brand. Who knows. All said, seems like rolling the dice with any choice. Hell, I'm paranoid at this point to start the car. I'm going to run it in the ditch watching the oil pressure gauge!
AMERICANMADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #64
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Drives: 2SS/RS - IBM LS3 M6
Quote:
The pump is a $132.00 part which is fixed easily, unfortunately, the damage that the upper end takes happens quickly and is destructive. Hopefully, you will not experience those issues like I did. $2800.00 caused by that part failure....
Old 01-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #65
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICANMADE View Post
This pump failure issue is getting frustrating! Sorry to hear you are now possibly dealing with it. Problem is, we don't REALY know why, is it cam issue, pump issue, wrong oil? There is just not a good control established to use for analysis. We all have some slightly different set up - oem parts, aftermarket parts, oils, tunes, and driving conditions. I am doing another cam swap now from a very mild cam to the more aggressive Night Fury. I will be using Lethals package including high flow Melling. I have been using Mobil 1 since my first swap. I am interested in seeing if the old cam shows any abnormal wear. At this point I think I will change oil brand. Who knows. All said, seems like rolling the dice with any choice. Hell, I'm paranoid at this point to start the car. I'm going to run it in the ditch watching the oil pressure gauge!
Lethal uses Mobil 1, and I did before the night fury cam install. But after my own research, I switched to Amsoil. Theres really no reason not to, Amsoil or other premium oils are, without a doubt, better. Not voodoo or anything.

Yes it costs more, but it lasts longer.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #66
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Abrahams11SS,

Very sorry to hear about this happening (if that's indeed what failed). Feel free to send me a PM if you need assistance working with a GM dealer regarding this matter.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #67
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
We are now running and recommending the JGR Driven Racing Oil LS30 with the AC Delco PF48R Filter in all of our customers cars. It is designed specifically for the LS engine and it has high zinc content in a 5w30.

Driven Racing Oil - LS30 High Zinc Synthetic 5W30 Oil

Designed for high performance LS series engines, LS30 reduces oil consumption by limiting oil vaporization and foaming. It utilizes advanced mPAO synthetic base oils to reduce valve train noise and to provide high temperature and high shear protection for GM LS based engines with and without variable valve timing. LS30 delivers industry leading shear stability and HTHS bearing oil film thickness. Ideal for LS-based crate engines and supercharged LS performance engines as well as any performance engine that calls for a 5W-30 viscosity. Viscosity typical of 5W-30.
Product Features:

- High Temp High Shear Protection
- Friction Reducing Additives
- Meets Demands Of VVT System
- Reduced Consumption Via PCV

I think a good rule of thumb here is to change your oil every 3-5 months depending on driving habits or every 3000 miles. I change mine more regularly as my car get abused but it gives me piece of mind. I know GM is aware of the issue with the OEM pumps but I was told they think it isn't an issue. We're now using Melling pumps exclusively in our builds.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:11 AM   #68
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Do you know/can you post the zinc/phos levels? It isn't on their site. How do they compare with say Valv VR1?

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote