Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
zr1gary
"Ad eundum quo nemo ante"

Drives: 2010 SS2, Black/Black
Need Help Installing Whipple

Just ordered Whipple 2.9 after contacting MANY vendors here. Thanks for those few who replied and those who did not...and Ted...thanks for replying on New Years Day....what a trooper
I have 2010 LS3 Camaro, mods to-date are:
2 7/8" AHR Headers
3" X-pipes into GM Perf Mufflers
C2G Air box
Now for my question....
I live near St Cloud, MN and would like some help installing the SC and a LS9 cam.
One of the members fom MN was very kind and offered up his suggested 'installer/shop', and I thank him!!
I Googled his recommendation and found mixed reviews...which is likely with most any vendor, so not too surprised.
The challenge here is for me to find (as most of us would do) is the highest quality work at the lowest price.
Please do not respond with, you get what you pay for, etc...that is not always true...so here is what I am looking for:
Installers within 8 hour drive of StCloud, MN who have installed Whipple on 2010 LS3 Camaro,....
PM me a quote to:
Install the Whipple Kit, AND LS9 cam and 3 bolt adaptor and upgraded timing chain.
Dyno-Tune
I'll furnish parts for above.
Thanks in advance.

zr1gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
topdragster

Drives: 2010 Camaro ss ls-3
install

It looks like you 8-10 hours form livernois or about the same for vector both shops have a good reputation. Both buy Detroit
topdragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
zr1gary

Update!!!!

I just got off the phone with a local guy (friend of a friend), who has agreed to do the install for me!!

He is a Master Tech (Ford)...I know it is almost a sin....but he has a Chevy Tech that will also be helping....so all may be forgiven.

He has a full shop, etc, and has offered to let me help....likely I'll learn something here.

I won't post the cost here, but suffice it to say....less than the cost of most Dyno-tunes I've been quoted here!

That does leave me with the need for a Dyno-tune....and there are at least two near me....
1) Hi-Tech Motorsports in Elk River
2) Doug Rippie in Buffalo.

Everyone tells me that a great tune is absolutely essential on these.....

Not sure who to use...or maybe someone else.

Any input...good or bad is appreciated.

Probably best to PM me with any 'bad results' from either shop.

Positive results would be nice for all to see, though.

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS Manual
Good luck and keep us posted with the results and progress.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
zr1gary

C'mon Spring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2SSRS6spd View Post
Good luck and keep us posted with the results and progress.
Will do....

Plan on doing it early April, since car is covered up for the winter...and winter here in MN usually ends mid'April
Old 01-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
rtkjadams

Drives: Red Jewel SS
made 603 at the wheels on 7.9psi, with tune from whipple......

Ray
rtkjadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
2L82RUN

Drives: ABM SS/RS
Not sure when your car was built but check this out. I learned from experience as did GMRULZ. Save yourself some time and make sure you have the updated OS before starting the install.
Quote:
I have an early 2010 VIN ends 12,546 and I have never had an update done by GM to my PCM/TCM. My tuner tried and tried to get it to stay running w/ tuning in HPtuners. However, there were tables missing from my PCM that were in other peoples Whipple tunes who sent them to us trying to help me. Thanks again everybody. Well the table that was missing is the Air/Fuel Ratio Analysis program. Its not in the old OS, but is in the new OS from GM. I can`t understand why GM shipped cars w/ out this table. I guess they did a patchwork to get them to run NA, but boy it sure won`t run w/ the blower. Runs fine is open loop, hits closed loop let of on the gas floods out and cuts off no matter what you do.

GMRULZ, thanks for this great write up and info. My Whipple build is in progress and had just started when first read your post. I was hoping my car would have the updated OS but just found out a little bit ago that it doesn't. I can thank you for knowing what is wrong. Spoke to my tuner and he already was aware of the issue as well. Waiting on dealer to pick the car up to flash the new OS. Here is a video link showing what the car did in closed loop. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cincy-...=1646931287391
My car was built in August 2009.
2L82RUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
MMM, 8 hours from St. Cloud, I'm orignally from Duluth and I don't think we had any big time performance shops there. One of the few places that comes to mind is Nickey Chicago , I'm not sure of their shop rates, but I have heard nothing but good things about them. They're also a sponser on the site, so it shouldn't be to hard to get in contact with them.

Also, you can contact Ted, and he might be able to help you with a remote tune. He has a very detailed data library that could assist in getting your tune perfect.
armysig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #9
zr1gary

Tuner

I have selected Doug Rippie ( 15 minutes from me) as my Tuner.

Thanks to all who have sent suggestions!!
Old 01-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
zr1gary

Installer and Tuner selected...

Well, after much deliberation I have decide to have Doug Rippie Motorsports in Buffalo, MN do the install and tune.

Scheduling it for mid Feb....I'll post things as the project matures.

Thanks to all who sent me PMs, etc.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
weaklt1

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS, 2002 SS Annivers
Where did you buy your from? It seems as if many vendors are not interested in selling anything as they do not reply?
weaklt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #12
zr1gary

Great numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtkjadams View Post
made 603 at the wheels on 7.9psi, with tune from whipple......

Ray

Any other mods?
Old 01-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #13
zr1gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaklt1 View Post
Where did you buy your from? It seems as if many vendors are not interested in selling anything as they do not reply?
I got mine from Jon at Texas Speed...great guy.

Many vendors will not respond if you do not buy from them...and I understand that logic. I did have several PM me with tipsm though.

I would have done one-stop-shopping at my installers shop (DRM)..if they were Whipple Dealer...but they are not so they at least getmy install and tune business. They are 15 miles from my place....big reason to look at them for me.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #14
weaklt1

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS, 2002 SS Annivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1gary View Post
I got mine from Jon at Texas Speed...great guy.

Many vendors will not respond if you do not buy from them...and I understand that logic. I did have several PM me with tipsm though.

I would have done one-stop-shopping at my installers shop (DRM)..if they were Whipple Dealer...but they are not so they at least getmy install and tune business. They are 15 miles from my place....big reason to look at them for me.
Ok,Thanks. I will check out Texas Speed. It is sort of difficult to buy from vendors when they fail to give any info or pricing.
weaklt1 is offline   Reply With Quote