Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
Mordeen

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black/Purple
The Dream Car Journey

The Corvette had always been my dream car, from when I was a kid. I loved it in every incarnation. Got to ride in a 'vette for the first time in a new '85, and even laying squished in the cargo area, the drive down Kanan toward Zuma beach at between 80 and 100 mph was a dream come true.

Turned 16 a year later, and went car shopping with my step-mom. The first car I drove? An early '70s Camaro, yellow with black stripes, nearly identical to the one in the T-Formers, no BS. It kicked ass. It wasn't a 'vette, but it kicked ass. Next car I test drove was one of those awful mustang/pinto hybrids, a 4cyl beater with auto.

My wicked step-mother convinced Pop that the Camaro was too much for me, so enter the Pintang. It leaked oil like a sieve, and the engine seized about 7 months later. Got a motorcycle.

Flash forward several years. Still riding motorcycles. Pop dies of cancer in '00, and the estate is respectful. He left everything to "mom," with the agreement that she would pay out the kids' portions in tax-free annuity amounts. But, and a real big but, he didn't state that in the will, and being that they lived in Texas, if y'all ain't named in the will, well, y'all are $hit outta luck. Good faith agreement of a dying man and his wife? Meaningless. I get my first annuity, and buy a GSXR600. It gets vandalized, then stolen. Good times.

(Author's note: I am getting to the point, but this is a diary thread, after all.)

Next time around, I get bought an '02 v6 manual Camaro. Fun car! No vette, but free is good. Well, mostly free. It's being bought with death money, which dulls the paint a bit, and it's registered to "mom' in Texas, with me listed as the primary driver in CA, so as to avoid gift taxes and other BS.

Flash forward two years. She's blown ALL the money (and it was no small amount), owes over $60k in back taxes, and is on probation for stealing from my younger half-sister's school charity fund raiser money. Class act, right?

It gets better. . .

One day, I walk out to my car from work, and it's gone. As I'm dialing the Police, it hits me -- no f%$cking way! She did not. I call her instead. No answer. I call my little sister at their house, no answer, so I leave a voice mail, stating that the car was stolen, and that I need to talk to her. I call "mom" again, but this time at work. They put her on the phone, and I ask why she didn't answer her cell. She gruffly replies "I don't have anything to say to you," and hangs up. Well, that's all the proof I need. I get the cops out, and tell my story. They call the house number, and start to leave a voice mail, when my little sister picks up and confirms that yes, not only did Mommy Dearest repo the car, but she gave it to Lil darling, cuz she had no money to buy Lil one. So I write those two evil wenches off, and buy a Mini.

The 'vette was still my dream car.

Until 2006.

UPDATED WITH PICS:

Ridergraphix purple stripes, painted black bowties. Conspicuously absent are the spoiler stripes, which had a MAJOR problem conforming to the contours of the spoiler. Gonna have those painted on.

Mordeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
Mordeen

The Corvette, like my step-mom, is dead to me.

I got a look at the Camaro proto, and it was all over for the Corvette.

I inform my wife (sometimes you inform; asking can be fatal to dreams) that my next car will be the new Camaro.

Time passes, and we approach P-Day (Production Day). I skipped the pre-order, simply because I was a bit nervous that GM was gonna die at the hands of our hypocritical, Bank-run "Government," and that I'd never get my deposit back. So as P-Day approaches, now it's time to decide what color. Buying anything other than the 2SS wasn't even a consideration, just the color. Here's a couple emails to give you a window into "the process":

Me: "As I was mentioning last nite, I discovered that I was incorrect about the Camaro not being offered in Yellow. So now I'm torn; I like the black w/orange stripes alot, but also think it would be awesome for the kids to own Bumblebee. What do you think?"

Her: "I like them both a lot too, but the funny thing is, the version that I like in yellow/black comes out to be cheaper than the version that I like in black/orange because I think that the yellow/black looks shitty with the ground effects package but I think that the black/orange looks better WITH it.

Meh, I don't know... MY opinion, straight up, based solely on what *I* think LOOKS best is that there are 2 good reasons to get the yellow/black - the kids would dig it and it's less expensive. Yes, the black/orange looks cool too but I can't think of any other pros. I have no idea what you had in mind as far as specs or if you even agree with my assessment or not (and you probably don't), so I can't offer anything but one-sided opinion with incomplete information to go on."

Me: "Ground effects are out no matter what, since they lower the car's ground clearance and will inevitably get scratched up on a road dip of some kind.

Pros:
Yellow is easier to keep clean and swirl-free.

Yellow will flip the kids out.

Yellow gives me access to the body-colored engine cover (slighty more money tho)

Yellow won't get nearly as hot in the summer

Black gives me access to the orange interior accent package (meaning more money tho)

Black/orange looks better

See above

Cons:
Yellow isn't as cool as black

Black is harder to keep clean

Black will be more expensive (with accessories to make it more unique)

Black will be like driving inside a volcano during the summer.

Yellow wins."

And so, on March 16th, 2009, I placed a $500 deposit on a Rally Yellow 2SS RS at Paradise Chevrolet in Ventura, CA. It's one of three dealers within 25 miles of me at the time, and now it's the only one left. Lucky dog.

Today, June 24th, 2009, mine goes to build mode. Kinda kooky that it's the same day T-Formers II comes out.

My next entry in this diary will be the homecoming. Stay tuned, 'cuz i have something fun in store. . .
Old 06-25-2009, 02:46 AM   #3
AquaBlue6

Drives: 1996 Camaro SS #693
Congratulations, it's great to see how happy people are about this car. Make sure you put up plenty of pictures when you get Mr. Bee.
AquaBlue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
Mordeen

So, I promised something fun in store. . .

And didn't I mention something about being a Lucky Dog?

It seems I spoke to soon.

**Quick Note** Thanks to everyone on this board for being very informative, forthright, and honest.

Anyway, so I'm lurking the boards the other day, and I notice a few threads where a little sumthin' called "PenFed" is being hinted at. So I says to myself, "Self, what is this PenFed, and what does it do?"

With a little research, bing-bang-pow, I'm a member, and am getting ready to apply for a loan. But PenFed wants a VIN for the loan. Okay, whatever. I'll check with my dealer on the status of my order. Around 6/23, he tells me I'm "in build mode." So I think, "sweet, that must be good, yeah?"

A week later (6/30, in case you're calendaricly challenged), I notice that folks are getting their order numbers researched on the board. So I put mine out there, and within 5 minutes, I receive a reply:

"You're at 1100."

And then another reply:

"That means your dealer doesn't have an allocation."

And another:

"You're dealer is messing with you."

Yet another:

"You're dealer wears ladies' underwear, and gurgles Gershwin."

(Okay, not really on the last post, but a cookie to whomever gets the Gurgling Gershwin reference first)

I am promptly advised that it still may be months before I see my car.

So I put out some feelers, and the second dealer I call has a 2SS Blk M6 on the lot, stranded because of a cancellation. It's not Yellow, my kids won't be seen freaking out on video as Bumble Bee comes driving down the street (that was the fun I had promised), but it's a goddamn 2010 CAMARO, it's available, and as of 7/1/09. . .

IT'S MINE! W00t!

I pick it up from the dealer (William L Morris Chevrolet in Fillmore, CA, fricking awesome people, buy from them if you're in the area), and my first time behind the wheel of a 426hp vibrating hunk of burning awesomeness is spent travelling 7 miles through the hairpin turns of a sandstone canyon.

By the time I had travelled 15 miles and made all my stops between the dealer and home, I got 5 enthusiastic compliments, 2 "Wow what car is that?" questions, and 2 "How do you like it?" inquiries while sitting at stoplights.

Oh, and I hate this car. It sucks. Power, handling, brutal good looks, and being the envy of everyone else on the road are meaningless. What I really want is fuel economy, nausea-inducing styling, and being able to put "green" or "eco" or "organic" at the beginning of every sentence.

So here's my pile of crap. I'm emabarassed to show it, but pictures are demanded in these here parts.

Name:  DSC_0055.jpg
Views: 4010
Size:  118.9 KB

-Mordeen
<chirp chirp>
<chirp chirp>
1100 - 6/30 ?!?!?!
Cancelled - 6/30
Purchased and driven home from new dealer - 7/1
Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
that is waaaay to much reading. can i get this story on tape?

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
SSRS2010
SS/RSVIN04274

Drives: 2010 CAMARO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordeen View Post

**Quick Note** Thanks to everyone on this board for being very informative, forthright, and honest.

Anyway, so I'm lurking the boards the other day, and I notice a few threads where a little sumthin' called "PenFed" is being hinted at. So I says to myself, "Self, what is this PenFed, and what does it do?"

With a little research, bing-bang-pow, I'm a member, and am getting ready to apply for a loan. But PenFed wants a VIN for the loan. Okay, whatever. I'll check with my dealer on the status of my order. Around 6/23, he tells me I'm "in build mode." So I think, "sweet, that must be good, yeah?"

A week later (6/30, in case you're calendaricly challenged), I notice that folks are getting their order numbers researched on the board. So I put mine out there, and within 5 minutes, I receive a reply:

"You're at 1100."

And then another reply:

And another:

Yet another:

(Okay, not really on the last post, but a cookie to whomever gets the Gurgling Gershwin reference first)

So I put out some feelers, and the second dealer I call has a 2SS Blk M6 on the lot, stranded because of a cancellation. It's not Yellow, my kids won't be seen freaking out on video as Bumble Bee comes driving down the street (that was the fun I had promised), but it's a goddamn 2010 CAMARO, it's available, and as of 7/1/09. . .

IT'S MINE! W00t!

I pick it up from the dealer (William L Morris Chevrolet in Fillmore, CA, fricking awesome people, buy from them if you're in the area), and my first time behind the wheel of a 426hp vibrating hunk of burning awesomeness is spent travelling 7 miles through the hairpin turns of a sandstone canyon.

By the time I had travelled 15 miles and made all my stops between the dealer and home, I got 5 enthusiastic compliments, 2 "Wow what car is that?" questions, and 2 "How do you like it?" inquiries while sitting at stoplights.

Oh, and I hate this car. It sucks. Power, handling, brutal good looks, and being the envy of everyone else on the road are meaningless. What I really want is fuel economy, nausea-inducing styling, and being able to put "green" or "eco" or "organic" at the beginning of every sentence.

So here's my pile of crap. I'm emabarassed to show it, but pictures are demanded in these here parts.

Attachment 35833

-Mordeen
On your SS BADGING its White ?Is it a SS/RS ?
I have the 2SS/RS and mine is RED
SSRS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
Mordeen

Posts on Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluch View Post
that is waaaay to much reading. can i get this story on tape?
Who should I hire to read it?

Ed Norton's deadpan narration from Fight Club comes to mind. I wonder if he comes cheap. . .
<chirp chirp>
<chirp chirp>
1100 - 6/30 ?!?!?!
Cancelled - 6/30
Old 07-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #8
Mordeen

Not an RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS2010 View Post
On your SS BADGING its White ?Is it a SS/RS ?
I have the 2SS/RS and mine is RED
I "settled" for the non-RS. But, I can get all the RS goodies a year from now at half the price. Now I gots me some extra bucks to spend on dark purple "bumble bee" stripes, a Vararam CAI, muffler delete, and a tune.

Room-a-zoom-mahfahgin-zoom!

-Mordeen
<chirp chirp>
<chirp chirp>
1100 - 6/30 ?!?!?!
Cancelled - 6/30
Old 07-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
SSRS2010
SS/RSVIN04274

Drives: 2010 CAMARO.
Quote:
I "settled" for the non-RS. But, I can get all the RS goodies a year from now at half the price. Now I gots me some extra bucks to spend on dark purple "bumble bee" stripes, a Vararam CAI, muffler delete, and a tune.

Room-a-zoom-mahfahgin-zoom!

-Mordeen
Thank you.That so cool you are going to do all that work on your car.This CAMARO IS SO GREAT TO HAVE. JUST HAVEING ONE IS SO EXCITING.
SSRS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #10
Mordeen

Purple Bumble Bee stripes on order as of today, 7/2/09.

Hopefully the first "purple on black" 2010 Camaro, but regardless, pics promised. Stay tuned.
<chirp chirp>
<chirp chirp>
1100 - 6/30 ?!?!?!
Cancelled - 6/30
Old 07-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #11
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Congrats good story.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #12
Mordeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Congrats good story.
Thanks.

In the meantime, the wait for all the mechanical and cosmetic mods is killing me.

-Mordeen
<chirp chirp>
<chirp chirp>
1100 - 6/30 ?!?!?!
Cancelled - 6/30
Old 07-04-2009, 12:47 AM   #13
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:

"You're at 1100."

And then another reply:

And another:

Yet another:

IT'S MINE! W00t!

Attachment 35833

-Mordeen

HA! That was a GREAT post! ...and a great laugh.

Congratulations, Mordeen! VERY happy for you!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:55 PM   #14
Mordeen

Purple stripes, black bowties

Ridergraphix purple stripes, painted black bowties. Conspicuously absent are the spoiler stripes, which had a MAJOR problem conforming to the contours of the spoiler. Gonna have those painted on.

Here they are:
Attached Images

<chirp chirp>
<chirp chirp>
1100 - 6/30 ?!?!?!
Cancelled - 6/30