Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 11-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #15
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
OK. So you all are feeling pretty confident that unless someone mods the LS3, your 4th gens will be more than competitive?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #16
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
OK. So you all are feeling pretty confident that unless someone mods the LS3, your 4th gens will be more than competitive?
I'd feel they would be competitive. What, the LS3 may put about 350-360 (maybe ten more) to the wheels, and weigh about 400+ pounds more than a LS1. LS1s made 300+ stock and weighed about 3400-3500. Modd' LS1s easily make another 20-30 conservative RWHP with just bolt-ons so considering 10 RWHP is equivalent to about a .10 of a second in the 1320', the power to weight ratio gets pretty close. I think it'll come down to driver in the end. I maintain a great driver (one that can run 12.9s with a stock LS1) could get an LS3 into the top 12s.

IMO, it'll probably be easier to get power out of an LS3, though, because of the superior flowing heads. I've seen something like 330+ cfm on a flow bench with a 4.00" bore with the LS3/L92 heads. LS1s were flowing something like around 240 or-so on a 3.90" bore. LS6/LS2s were something like 250+ on a 3.90" bore, so to say those new square port heads flow is an understatement. Throw a big cam in that thing, and you're going to make great numbers, relatively easy, I think. I don't think bolt-ons will bring as big an increase on LS3s as LS1s though because the catbacks on LS1s sucked (unless you had the SLP optioned exhaust and cut the restrictor out of it) while we know the LS3 has true duals with an X-pipe. It looks to me like the manifolds on the LS3s will flow a little better too because they're a little longer and the cats' don't butt-right-up to the ends of the manifolds like LS1s. I believe it is generally thought the farther the restriction is from the exhaust port, the less influence it has on power, so the farther the cats' are, the better, among other things. I understand we're getting four cats' however on LS3s, so there's a little more restriction.

I guess we're just going to have to wait to see how efficient that IRS is in putting power to the ground. 430+ horse 'Vettes put down upper 300s, so I don't think we're going to be too far behind

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:17 PM   #17
jeremy02

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I turboed my TA and it put down 402 to the wheels. Then I totaled it.
jeremy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:53 PM   #18
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I've often wondered if you can even pack 400+ hp into an LT1. And how much you could pack into an LS1.
you need to read more about the LT1....lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy02 View Post
I turboed my TA and it put down 402 to the wheels. Then I totaled it.

bah!
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:35 PM   #19
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
I live by the old adage "There is always someone faster than you."

I'm content with my HP #'s...it's always nice to hop back in the SS after driving the Jeep daily and get pushed back in the seat when I let him run. I have all the HP I need (for the time being. ).
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #20
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I take exception to that!

The 5th Gen. is beautiful. But a Camaro is beautiful (or "sexy" if you prefer), no matter what gen. it is.
That, my friend, is a matter of opinion. I am a big fan of most of the 1st-3rd generation Camaro's, but I think the 4th generation cars are pretty much crap, aesthetically. I'd take a 4th Gen TransAm over the Camaro any day. The performance was certainly there, but the styling left a lot to be desired.

IMHO.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:39 PM   #21
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
That, my friend, is a matter of opinion. I am a big fan of most of the 1st-3rd generation Camaro's, but I think the 4th generation cars are pretty much crap aesthetically. I'd take a 4th Gen TransAm over the Camaro any day. The performance was certainly there, but the styling left a lot to be desired.

IMHO.
I respect your opinion and welcome it.

It's all in the eye of the beholder.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:34 PM   #22
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Is that N/A though?
heads and a cam will get you to 400hp easily with an LT1. N/A. trust me. lol
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 11-20-2008, 06:01 PM   #23
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Just judging from my sig info. Where would you estimate my horsepower?
what are the specs on the cam you have? and what springs do you have? i will assume you have 1.6 rockers

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 11-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #24
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
That, my friend, is a matter of opinion. I am a big fan of most of the 1st-3rd generation Camaro's, but I think the 4th generation cars are pretty much crap, aesthetically. I'd take a 4th Gen TransAm over the Camaro any day. The performance was certainly there, but the styling left a lot to be desired.

IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I respect your opinion and welcome it.

It's all in the eye of the beholder.
I gave this some thought, and while you're entitled to your opinion, I think referring to "4th gen. Camaro's as crap" is a little harsh. Lets be careful, as there are alot of 4th Gen. owners here, myself included, who very much like, and enjoy their Camaro's.

Also, some may share this opinion, but my feelings on the 4th Gen. Camaro versus a 4th Gen. T/A, (which you'd take anyday) are this; while I think 4th Gen. T/A's, Firehawks, etc., are great cars, I prefer the "cleaner" look of the Camaro. Thats not to say the styling of the T/A and Firehawk is "crap", its just not for me. The same can be said of the Mustang; Some may prefer the look of the GT, versus the styling, (ala; stripes, etc.) of the GT500.

My point is, each of us has our own likes and dislikes, but referring to other's car's styling as "crap" is a little offensive.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:08 PM   #25
Leedogg

Drives: 1996 Trans Am
408 rwhp in my 96 Trans Am(LT1 in case some don't know)- got 60,000 miles on this setup and it runs 11.98 my last time out...normally 12.0's, on Drag Radials.

www.f-quick.com/Leedogg
Leedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #26
Moose

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedogg View Post
408 rwhp in my 96 Trans Am(LT1 in case some don't know)- got 60,000 miles on this setup and it runs 11.98 my last time out...normally 12.0's, on Drag Radials.

www.f-quick.com/Leedogg
Welcome Leedogg. Impressive #'s.

Thanks for bringing us back on topic.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:25 PM   #27
7CAMARO7

Drives: Slow 4th gen
i'm pushing 427fwhp on a stock engine with full boltons minus ewp and int manifold.

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:53 PM   #28
7CAMARO7

Drives: Slow 4th gen
Quote:
Yeah. I've loved the look of the 93-97 4th gens since I was 6 years old. And it's been my dream car for as long as I can remember and now that I own one I couldn't be more happy.
And It's a pretty mild cam, not too sure of the specs because the previous owner installed it and I havn't stripped my engine down that far.
the previous owner didn't seem to be knowing what he was doing when modding. shorty headers I hear give little to nothing in power and most likely the cam is a medium to small so I'd guess at most you've got is like 380rwhp with a minimum of 365rwhp. Nothing you can't change though and yea... there are LOTS of 4th gens that will out perform the 5th gens... they're just not stock though remember, our cars are lighter too so we don't need as much power to be as fast as or faster than them. I'm just going to keep going till I run out of ways to keep traction then I may back it down till its just right and I can put useful power to the ground and not have 20000rwhp that will get me no where fast. Understand?

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote