Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #71
FISHTAIL

Drives: Sedan & 2SS / RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Do you even know what the Genesis coupe is? Or the Tiburon? Other than both are made by Hyundai and are coupes? While the Tiburon is FWD, the Genesis is RWD and on a completely different platform. That is exactly like saying the Camaro is just a spit shined and renamed Monte Carlo coupe. Think about it. And "wanna-be performance car"? Well, you might be interested to know the V6 Genesis Coupe outperforms the V6 Camaro, so that must make the V6 Camaro a "wanna be performance car" too. Finally, Hyundai has not "tried and failed" for years to get a performance car right. The Genesis coupe was their first real attempt, and they succeeded delightfully.
Dude I agree, you have all your facts right. However I just can’t get past the first Hyundai Excel that used to burn through the piston rings at just over 50k miles and filled my neighborhood with white smoke. There’s not much originality with this brand either, some of their vehicle look like a knockoff of higher end cars. Have you seen the Geneses sedan? Although appealing to the eye, It looks like a Mercedes E class, a BMW 7 series and a Lexus did a three way. Not impressed!
Old 06-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #72
joepitt

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro, 2017 Acura
Some D*%m import will win. It seems the imports have been taking most of the awards the last few years. I think the judges mentally mark down any car from an American manufacturer. I was watching Motorweek the other day and they had their top car in all the classes and I think only 2 American cars were selected. The CTS-V and another I don't remember.
Dinah Shore, 1952: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGZvQoPxhNs
joepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:36 PM   #73
sabrescamaro

Drives: TB SS and temporarily 2LTRS VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepitt View Post
Some D*%m import will win. It seems the imports have been taking most of the awards the last few years. I think the judges mentally mark down any car from an American manufacturer. I was watching Motorweek the other day and they had their top car in all the classes and I think only 2 American cars were selected. The CTS-V and another I don't remember.
Yeah, I don't know if the Japs pay them off, or if they just listen to the media too much. Americans are making some of the best cars on the planet, and the people who have voices that consumers listen to choose to send to Japan for cars ... Crazy.
sabrescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:06 PM   #74
Lauryn200
I Pity The Fool

Drives: Jeep Wrangler '06 & VW GTI 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrescamaro View Post
Yeah, I don't know if the Japs pay them off, or if they just listen to the media too much. Americans are making some of the best cars on the planet, and the people who have voices that consumers listen to choose to send to Japan for cars ... Crazy.
...."German Engineering"......VW Golf/TDI will take it.....
Lauryn200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #75
sabrescamaro

Drives: TB SS and temporarily 2LTRS VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauryn200 View Post
Yeah, Europeans actually earn their reputation -- mostly the Germans. I like the cc, passat, and jetta more than the Golf, though... Guess people are starting to get serious about this global warming thing... I'm still waiting for Ashton to come out and say that he punk'd everyone using Al Gore.
sabrescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #76
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauryn200 View Post
For how many times you have brought the Golf up- it sounds like you're trying to rationalize your purchase.

Last edited by Kyle2k; 06-25-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Kyle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:56 AM   #77
ConceptVBS

Drives: POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGT View Post
Last year's winners were the 2009 Genesis Coupe ....
There is no such thing as a 2009 Genesis Coupe.

ConceptVBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #78
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHTAIL View Post
Dude I agree, you have all your facts right. However I just can’t get past the first Hyundai Excel that used to burn through the piston rings at just over 50k miles and filled my neighborhood with white smoke. There’s not much originality with this brand either, some of their vehicle look like a knockoff of higher end cars. Have you seen the Geneses sedan? Although appealing to the eye, It looks like a Mercedes E class, a BMW 7 series and a Lexus did a three way. Not impressed!
I think if any group should be sympathetic to Hyundai it should be GM fans. You say you can't get past memories of awful products from years ago, yet how frustrating is it when people say the same thing about GM? Lets be honest here, GM had decades of poor products, poor management, poor quality, and poor reliability. Those days are behind them, and Hyundai is doing the same thing. Far be it from us to ignore another brand that has done the same thing our favorite brand has done. So lets celebrate rising from past mistakes and moving on to current greatness. Perhaps a joint win for the Camaro and Genesis in recognition of these parallel paths?

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #79
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
I think if any group should be sympathetic to Hyundai it should be GM fans. You say you can't get past memories of awful products from years ago, yet how frustrating is it when people say the same thing about GM? Lets be honest here, GM had decades of poor products, poor management, poor quality, and poor reliability. Those days are behind them, and Hyundai is doing the same thing. Far be it from us to ignore another brand that has done the same thing our favorite brand has done. So lets celebrate rising from past mistakes and moving on to current greatness. Perhaps a joint win for the Camaro and Genesis in recognition of these parallel paths?
You have a very valid point. Hyundai has put similar problems that used to plague GM behind them, which is of course good for the consumer.

Here's the thing, and I open myself to flaming: I don't live and work in Korea, Japan, or Europe. So while I can recognize a good vehicle from those areas, I have no reason or desire to "celebrate" it.

Let them win the Korean Car of the Year award...besides, I personally think the 2009 Genesis was enough recognition of their improvements. Let someone else get it, this year