Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Drives: Mostly Stock
Chrysler Laser Commercial

We are having Throwback Thursdays at work, and with car commercials being the topic for August, this won the employee vote today. Did anyone here ever own a Turbo Mopar of the 80's/early 90's?

Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
yzrider58
Aviation guru

Drives: 10 1SS, 09 Acadia, 90 K1500 Z-71
Wow
Old 08-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
I had a 86' Dodge Conquest/ Mitsubishi Starion. The only Dodge I wish I had back! So fun to drive PITA keeping it running in top form.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Why do i want a Laser now lol jk Didnt shelby make a fast lil turbo mopar The GLH right?
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The thing I noticed most about it was how similar it is to the new Dodge Dart commercial in general tone & content.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

its a syn: you should have kept it, and transplanted LS power under the hood for
reliability

Silverlsinva: Shelby paired up with Chrysler to make the: 83.5-87 Shelby Charger, 84-86 Omni GLH, 86 Shelby GLHS, 87 Shelby GLHS, 87 Shelby Lancer, 87 CSX, 88 CSX-T, 89 CSX-VNT, and 89 Shelby Dakota.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
That is great! Just the other day, I was reminiscing. Years ago, a friend had that car, but I could not recall what it was called... I remembered that it was Mopar, but that was it... LASER! Another buddy had a Charger, same era... tiny little econocar, unworthy of the name. Best memory of THAT car was my buddy trying to show off his mad driving skills, and crashing it FOUR times in one evening. No alcohol, no intentional bashing... he was just the worst driver on the planet, yet was trying to show off. I'll confess, it was one of the best rides I took.

But "Laser...!" Wow! With James Earl Jones--- well, Darth Vader--- telling us that this was the best of the best.

I also had a Starion, as mentioned by its a syn... It was sort of an odd looking car. I painted it yellow, removed the nameplates and emblems, and placed my own custom nameplate on it... called it a "Mitsurati." Got a lot of comments and questions on that thing. Fun car, but just another slightly awkward Moparish collusion with another Japanese carmaker...
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Mopar Performance actually made RWD kits for the Daytona and some people made those 80's Chargers RWD too. There was a guy who drag racing/driving on the streets a 11 second Charger a few years ago on the East Coast. Was pushing around 400 hp to the tires and having traction problems in 4th gear.

Thanks for sharing your story!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94

"15-INCH ALLOY WHEELS WITH PERFORMANCE RUBBER!! NO WAY!"

"FASTEST PRODUCTION CAR IN AMERICA!"
Old 08-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
aldaron327
Onward and Upward.

Drives: '13 Equinox LTZ AWD,'09 Silverado
Send a message via MSN to aldaron327 Send a message via Yahoo to aldaron327
Nice Narration/voice over work by Billie D Williams a.k.a. Lando Calrissian!
MODS: CAI by CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-Back, DBA 5000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Front), Hawk HPS Pads, Russell Braided Brake Lines, DBA 4000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Rear), Barton Short-Throw Shifter, UM Comp Extractor Hood & Gen I Spoiler, custom paint
aldaron327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
I had a friend with a OMNI "Goes Like Hell" Add some boost and opened exhaust and seriously they were pretty quick cars. Gobs of mid range power. 3rd gear spin no problem on dry if you knew how to keep the boost on. Best thing about the 80's was tons of fast lil cheap hatches. Like the Mazda 3t3 GTx and even supercharged MR2's. Theres nothing like that now. Tons in Europe but here nothing. Even the Focus 3dr in europe is a wicked little car.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
Black-Out

Drives: himself insane
I had an '84 Laser turbo (automatic :( ) back in about '86.

Don't remember a lot about it, except for the distributor having a problematic wire in it that left me stranded about 500 miles from home in the middle of nowhere. IIRC it had a mechanical advance plate, and the optical pickup lead would break from the plates movement!

It was VW powered at that point (before they went to Mitsubishi for engines).
Pop the hood on a Rabbit or Jetta, and they were dead ringers.
{sold} -- 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS - Black on Black. Kooks catted LT's, CAI, Accell 9070c ceramic wires, Barton shifter, custom catback w/Dynomax VT's, quad tips, Pfadt springs/sway bars/trailing arms, Diablosport tuner {Lew tune}, 3.91 gear's, Energy cradle bushings.
Black-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #13
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

The HEP(Hall Effect Pickup), I guess at that time you didn't know to travel with a spare in the car. By the way if you had the 2.2 Turbo, that was a Chrysler engine.