Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Pads and rotors for track (HPDE) use?

Quick question for you guys in intermediate or advanced groups at HPDE road course events, what brake pads/rotors do you use? I was told to ditch the slotted/drilled rotors in favor of the stock solids because the drilled can crack when put to hard use. I also am running with Hawk Performance ceramic pads which sucked on the track. What pads are good for lower dust than OE but good track manners while not chewing up the rotors? JusticePete recommended the stock pads but is there a good set of pads that are better than OE? Someone mentioned Carbotech pads (I think). Thanks!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Check this link which has a lot of brake info:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294470

I know some of the old school guys say solid rotors only but Racing Brake's rotors are designed with the particular type of slot that doesn't have this cracking problem. They also run about 150° cooler than comparable rotors, as well as being about 6 lbs lighter than the factory solid rotors. They have several levels of excellent track pads depending on your braking style.

They aren't the cheapest option out there but you get what you pay for and they are especially good for road course use.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
I mentioned Carbotech. They are good to learn on and get up into the intermediate group but these are "pad swap" brake pads not to be used on the street, unless you like squealing. XP-12 front and XP-8 rear and you get them from ctbbrakes.com. I used to buy them prebed to cut down on the bedding process.

I recommend slotted rotors. Racing brake makes the best but you pay for them. DBA 5000 then 4000 would be next. I run the 4000 because that is what I could afford at the time and they have lasted the last year and a half, track and street. IIRC JDP has them at good prices.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
RacingBrake open slot rotors with RacingBrake XT960 pads will devastate all. They run cooler, weigh less, and stop on a dime.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

I have the Stillen 1 piece slotted/drilled rotors now and of course Stillen says they'll be fine. Has anyone had experience with them? I have a limited budget so I am thinking of pads only and choosing either my stock rotors or keep the Stillens on there if they'll be OK!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I love these questions about brake pads for track that will stop better than OE, with no dust...pick one, because both ain't happening. I'm running Cobalt Friction pads and they are not quiet on the street, but they stop awesome...your not going to find a pad that does both street and track well, as track pads tend to be noisy. The other issue is price, my pads were hella expensive, so are Carbotech's, and the cast off lots of brake dust... Good luck with whatever you pick for pads...
Old 07-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
ModBargains.com

Drives: Widebody 2013 Mustang GT
A solid rotor or a slotted rotor would be your best bet. When you get slotted, the slots create a clean swipe of the pad every time so you can get the maximum amount of force on the pads, where as the solid rotor does not. Drilled rotors can crack on the track, you are correct, but it's very unlikely if it's a good quality rotor.

I'd go with StopTech Slotted, and then Hawk HP Plus pads if you want pure performance with no drawbacks (they do squeak), or go with HPS pads if you want performance without the noise and extra brake dust.
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

yea, I'm thinking I'll probably run low dust pads for street and then change them to track pads for track day. Hawk HPE's any good?

Edit: I meant Hawk HPS
Old 07-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
Synner

Drives: cars
You will not find anything low dust thats excellent at the track. Hawk HPS will fail just as quick as the ceramics. You'll either need to accept the fact that you need to run 2 sets of pats or decide on your priority of low dust or good track performance. You will not have your cake and eat it too.

DTC-30's is the minimum I would go but they're not all that easy on rotors. Either rotors or pads will be a significant recurring expense. Pick your poison.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Don't buy or use cheap drilled or slotted rotors. use the "race" ones only if u get any. they are designed 2 be that way, not an after thought addition 2 a smooth rotor.

I have the HPS' on my 6 pistons

Last edited by TLSTWIN; 07-30-2013 at 06:07 PM.
TLSTWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post

I recommend slotted rotors. Racing brake makes the best but you pay for them. DBA 5000 then 4000 would be next. I run the 4000 because that is what I could afford at the time and they have lasted the last year and a half, track and street. IIRC JDP has them at good prices.

T.
Thanks for the recommendation TBone!

DBA Rotors and the Hawk DTC-XX pads are what I would recommend for track duty. Like others said, for actual road racing you will never find a pad up to the task of track duty while still being street friendly and little dust. Most people who want both have to swap pads between track days.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions. We have great pricing on DBA and Hawk and get you set up with a nice package at a very nice price.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #12
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
yea, I'm thinking I'll probably run low dust pads for street and then change them to track pads for track day. Hawk HPE's any good?

Edit: I meant Hawk HPS
HPS are great for autocross....I have used HPS pads on the track, if the session is not real long, they will work ok, for a short time 10 to 15 minutes at a time. If you are doing repeated sessions for 20-25 minutes at a time, the second session they will go away on you....so, the longer you plan to be out on the track, that is when you need to step up with the real track pads...also, make sure you have upgraded your brake fluid to higher temp with steel braided lines...
Old 07-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

The last HPDE event at Gingerman were 20 minute sessions with 40 minute cool downs. I think HPS would be OK in that scenario. My ceramic pads lasted but weren't very strong from the get go! I do have DOT 4 fluid in the system and Racing Brake stainless steel brake lines.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Listen to the wise ones here Mike.

HPS is decent for Autocross but not a "Track". It just can't stand up for long periods. Especially once you start going to larger tracks.

Hawk DCT-XX are tough on rotors but good.

Carbotech is easier on rotors and good intermediate pads.

Cobalt Friction is excellent for the big dogs.

If you already have rotors, use them but watch them for cracks. Once they crack, get better ones.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote