Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
No Swirl Towels

I checked out the Zaino towels and those look great. Do you people use the towels to actually clean (scrub)the vehicle with the Zaino wash? Or are you just using them to buff? If not, what are you using to scrub the vehicle?
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
redjewel

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
I use a lambswool mit the clean the car with. Scrub is a harsh word when talking about washing your Camaro.
What I have been using those towels for is when I polish with Z2 or Z5 or when I spray with Z6. I use the applicator pad for applying the polish and those towels are amazing for removing the polish residue.
They are the softest towels I have ever used.
I am a first time Zaino user so this is just what I have been doing. Apparently I have been using to much Z7 to wash the car with. So I am no expert. I supposed you could use one to wash the car with and it would work great.
redjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
sav1

LOL scrub is harsh. I'm assuming that mit doesn't make any swirl marks? How many times have you used it on your car? I've been reading many posts and they say to stay away from "made in china" / "made in pakastan" Because they're not 100% cotton. What do you think.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
redjewel

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav1 View Post
LOL scrub is harsh. I'm assuming that mit doesn't make any swirl marks? How many times have you used it on your car? I've been reading many posts and they say to stay away from "made in china" / "made in pakastan" Because they're not 100% cotton. What do you think.
I have washed it 4 times since May 22nd. I am using lambswool mitt for washing. Don't know where it was made but I have read that real lambswool has the leather backing. I don't know how that could be different by where it was made. I only use front to back motions and up and down motions. I do not put any pressure on the mit. I just drag it over the car a few passes turn it over for a few passes rinse in rinse bucket and move back to wash bucket. The car has stayed pretty clean and rinsing it before washing it gets most of the stuff off of it. The only fine scratches I see are the ones the dealership put on it. Just a few though. I have not induced any swirls or scratches that I can see.
When I do get something more stubborn I will use a little pressure at a time with the mit. My car will never see a car wash or someone elses hand unless they can prove to me they are as good as the Tropicare guy.

Again no expert just someone being anal about my car. I will apply some more coats of Z5 for the few I see before using someone like Steve to get rid of them.
redjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I've used 100% sheepskin and/or chenile mitts to wash my cars as well as those I detail.

A "key" to preventing marks/blemishes is to rinse the car very well prior to washing. Also, its important to make sure the mitt is completely "debris free" and clean.

Always, start top to bottom. Never wash lower portions first. Use a separate mitt for wheels. And use plenty of soap.

The towels are used for drying and polish removal in my case.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
sav1

I'm picking up my car this week, and i've instructed the dealer NOT to wash it until I got there to inspect the towels. LOL, talk about anal. Thanks for the help I will buy those mits, do you have a link?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:44 PM   #7
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav1 View Post
I'm picking up my car this week, and i've instructed the dealer NOT to wash it until I got there to inspect the towels. LOL, talk about anal. Thanks for the help I will buy those mits, do you have a link?
I have a Zaino distributor in my area that sells them. I'm sure he'd be happy to ship you some. PM me if you're interested.

Ed
Old 06-30-2009, 04:37 AM   #8
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
For washing i use 2 sheep skin for the body of car one for upper half one for lower half using 2 buckets. For rims and tires another bucket for that with a using soft foam for rims with a brush for tires.

Last edited by Thrillz; 06-30-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:43 AM   #9
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
What about microfiber for washing?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #10
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post
What about microfiber for washing?
I don't use MF for washing as the "material", while soft, leaves any debris it picks up, "at the surface" of the towel, which can harm the finish.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:28 AM   #11
ItIsWhatItIs

Drives: #5 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Moose,
When you rinse the car prior to washing...do you use the hose with a spray or free flow water from the hose?
ItIsWhatItIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #12
Rtoups

Drives: RJT 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
Moose,
When you rinse the car prior to washing...do you use the hose with a spray or free flow water from the hose?
Prior to washing, I give it a pretty good spray at at an angle to the paint. Spraying right at the surface of the paint can potentially push contaminants into the paint.

I actually use a microfiber wash mitt from Meguiars. I've heard bad things about microfiber, and they are definitely not unfounded. But this Meguiars one is good. It's plush and has tons of loops, which lift contaminants away from the surface. No swirl marks, so it's working for me.

To dry the surface, I use a super absorbent towel made by Meguiars. One towel can usually do the entire car.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:21 PM   #13
sav1

I just got my order of Zaino BLONDE TOWELS.. holy S#$T these are so soft! No boarders, I think I'm going to get more. I am impressed by Zaino, not only their exceptional products, but the attention to detail. Directions in every package, customer service, what a professional company. OH.. and MADE IN THE GREATEST COUNTRY on earth.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #14
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
Moose,
I use a light spray.

Light spray for the body, and a little more "aggressive" for wheels/tires, inner wheel fenders.