Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
NeedlessKane

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM
Positive run-in with some cops yesterday

So me and my fiancee are coming back from doing some Christmas shopping and dinner, and about 1 mile from my house there's a road block. I creep up to the officers waiting and they ask to see my license, where I'm headed, etc and I answer accordingly. As the one officer was asking me these questions, these other two officers are walking around the car, pointing their flashlights around and talking. Then they come back around to the window and are like "Man, sweet car!" and another one piped up and said "I bet it's fast!" I laughed and told them thanks and to have a good night and drove off...slowly haha.

First time that's ever happened to me in any car. Just thought I'd share!
1994 Mazda Miata
NeedlessKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
Trunz150

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Drop Top
That's awesome sometimes there actually cool........ Sometimes
Trunz150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
LiquidDragon

Drives: 2013 1LT RS
LiquidDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Sometimes we forget car guys can be cops too....
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
NeedlessKane

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidDragon View Post
My apologies sir
Attached Images

1994 Mazda Miata
Old 12-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
COPS are people just like you and I, just doing a JOB.
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
It's nice when police are car guys and admit it. But I simply don't ever answer any "Where are you headed?" questions on a license checkpoint. Best just to avoid it. For one, it's not a value-added question because they just saw where you have been, it's not hard to deduce your direction as to where you're headed. Plus, it's TMI. Not trying to obstruct the LEOs from doing their job, but frankly, until we're in a full-out police state, it's not really any of their business.

But you also don't want to be a smart ass and answer "Over to your mom's house for a whiskey-laden orgy and then I'm going street racing afterwards." I'm going to guess they won't be too friendly at that point.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
NeedlessKane

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
It's nice when police are car guys and admit it. But I simply don't ever answer any "Where are you headed?" questions on a license checkpoint. Best just to avoid it. For one, it's not a value-added question because they just saw where you have been, it's not hard to deduce your direction as to where you're headed. Plus, it's TMI. Not trying to obstruct the LEOs from doing their job, but frankly, until we're in a full-out police state, it's not really any of their business.

But you also don't want to be a smart ass and answer "Over to your mom's house for a whiskey-laden orgy and then I'm going street racing afterwards." I'm going to guess they won't be too friendly at that point.
Yeah - I was honestly shocked that he asked. I've never had a police officer do that. I was on the road to my house, which is also the name of the next town over. When I said "I'm headed home - about 1 mile away" and he looked at my license again and said "oh..haha yeah I see that. I saw the street name and thought it was the next town over. Yall have a nice night"

They were clearly looking for someone. There was a car on a rollback so it looks like some sort of accident had occurred and maybe it was a hit and run? Never seen a road block at a car accident before.

Also - How do you avoid the question without sounding rude/pissing off the officer? I guess I would rather answer the question vs getting out of the car/causing problems. Plus I conceal carry - which can escalate things a lot where LEOs are involved.
1994 Mazda Miata
Old 12-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
wer2foxs

Drives: 2010 VR SS
One of the members of the Indy Nexgen Camaro club is a state policeman and is a one the pillars of the group. He's a car guy through and through. He either helps or organizes a lot of the club activities for us. He's an awesome guy and to hear him talk that he gets in his and hits it to see what it has is pretty darn cool! I won't call him out because I don't want to overstep my boundaries but I bet he answers this thread before it is over with. He reads them all. He's a great guy and glad he represents our law enforcement.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Gillis

Drives: Car
Where am I going? Nunya.
Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillis View Post
Where am I going? Nunya.
See how far that'll get ya...
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
BDBiker

Drives: Black 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
I can't say that I have ever had a positive encounter with police in 42 years of driving my cars or riding my bikes, just a lot of bad encounters at 'speed traps'. I am glad that you have.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlessKane View Post
Also - How do you avoid the question without sounding rude/pissing off the officer? I guess I would rather answer the question vs getting out of the car/causing problems. Plus I conceal carry - which can escalate things a lot where LEOs are involved.
I think this guy does it the best.

Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
NeedlessKane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squillo View Post
I think this guy does it the best.

Eh, I don't know. To me one of those cards could turn a completely normal "I'm going to ask this guy to see his license and if things are cool, let him go" officer/situation to a "Ah...so this guy wants to be a smart a$$ and give me a goofy card. Lets have some fun with this a$$hole." officer/situation.

Not to mention - I would probably lose the card and/or it'd be in such bad condition it'd be useless. I rarely have any contact with LEOs where I am. Roadblocks, speeding, etc etc. That guy either encounters them a lot or goes around fishing for responses to his card.
1994 Mazda Miata