Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-29-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
TheCuban

Drives: '02 Camaro 3.8L V6 T-Tops
Major oil leakage?

I noticed earlier today my low oil pressure light when off, which is strange, since I changed my oil two weeks ago myself. I then look under my car and there's a puddle of oil! My dumbass self thought maybe I didn't tighten the filter all the way, so I tightened it real tight and poured in almost four quarts of oil. Low and behold, after two hours, I go back outside to check if that fixed the leak and there's now an even larger puddle! I took pictures, what do you guys think it is?

*Removed pics since they don't help*

If these images don't help, let me know, and I'll take more!

Last edited by TheCuban; 09-29-2011 at 01:56 AM.
TheCuban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:28 AM   #2
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Yeah........those images don't help.
Based on your description, I'm guessing it's coming from the oil filter. You scared me when you said you tightened the filter "real tight". A properly installed oil filter is snug and not torqued down. Any muscle used to tighten it is too much muscle.
My guess is you damaged the filter when installing. Where is most of the oil at? Near the oil filter?

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80

Last edited by LimaCharlie; 09-29-2011 at 01:54 AM.
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:48 AM   #3
TheCuban

No, most of the oil is on that metal thing right in front of the oil pan, which is what those images are. It has holes in the structure, I dunno what it is, but it's right in front of the oil pan (it's more towards the front of the car than the oil pan).

I honestly can't tell since I've replaced the oil filter (and that's when I tightened it with a oil filter remover). I now have two major oil spills on my driveway. What do you mean by, torque and snug?

Thanks for the help, it's real late where I am at and I've got work at 10AM so I am trying to solve this before I go to sleep, hopefully.

EDIT: I reached under the oil filter and I got fingers full of oil so obviously it's an oil filter leak. Two questions. How do I know when it's tight enough? Second, is it safe to drive my car to walmart to get another filter? It's less than a ten minute drive. My car's oil gauge reads zero, but the dipstick shows oil barely under the first notch.

I know I sound like an idiot but this is my first car and I live by myself, so I am learning lol. My dad tries to help me as much as he can over phone, but there's only so much he can do.

Last edited by TheCuban; 09-29-2011 at 02:03 AM.
TheCuban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
I edited my original post. I meant to say snug and NOT torqued down. It is not necessary to tighten down the oil filter hard with an oil filter wrench or alot of muscle. Simply snug it with a little hand muscle. If the filter leaks with just a snug, you have other issues going on. The item you are talking about is the subframe crossmember. It essentially provides bracing for the engine mounts and protects your oil pan from damage if you run over something.
My suggestion is don't start your car until you have it towed to your dealer. You have a significant oil leak going on that needs to be looked at ASAP.

EDIT: just saw your new edit. Sounds like you damaged your oil filter, like I originally said. Do not start your car until this is fixed. No offense but I would have someone else install the filter for you. Make sure you watch what's going on so you do it correctly next time.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:13 AM   #5
TheCuban

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
I edited my original post. I meant to say snug and NOT torqued down. It is not necessary to tighten down the oil filter hard with an oil filter wrench or alot of muscle. Simply snug it with a little hand muscle. If the filter leaks with just a snug, you have other issues going on. The item you are talking about is the subframe crossmember. It essentially provides bracing for the engine mounts and protects your oil pan from damage if you run over something.
My suggestion is don't start your car until you have it towed to your dealer. You have a significant oil leak going on that needs to be looked at ASAP.
In your opinion, what would be the range of cost associated with a fix like that? I can live with a small oil leak, if it comes to that. As a student, money is always an issue. :( Do you have any idea, or are oil leaks so varied that putting an estimate on it wouldn't be ideal?

Saw your edit, I take no offense you're probably right lol. I just looked at online videos on how to replace oil and stuff and learned from that. I hope the problem is my ignorance as opposed to an actual problem with the vehicle lol. You've been very helpful, thank you very much!
Old 09-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
replace the oil filter. Perhaps there is a kink on the rubber seal/ring on the filter. Be sure to lightly coat the seal first before you install it and do not over-torque it. Seal, any seal with not do its job properly and will leak when over-torqued. You don't have to do a complete oil change, just unscrew the leaky filter, coat the seal on the new one and make sure it is seated properly in the groove, wipe down the part on the engine where the filter makes contact to make sure nothing will get between the seal and engine block, install and hand tight snug and turn another 1/4 turn.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post

EDIT: just saw your new edit. Sounds like you damaged your oil filter, like I originally said. Do not start your car until this is fixed. No offense but I would have someone else install the filter for you. Make sure you watch what's going on so you do it correctly next time.
Disregard, did not see this was an older Camaro.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
bad valve cover seal? the oil you were pouring in just ran back out, other wise while engine not running almost all oil is in pan and cannot leak out.
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:43 AM   #9
TheCuban

Thanks for the reply guys, I know the filter is installed correctly, I did, however, notice that the oil pressure switch is leaking. :( So, time to tighten that and see if that fixes it!
Old 10-01-2011, 12:51 AM   #10
sacohan

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray SS
make sure the old gasket did not stick, you may have double gaskets which will definatly cause a leak
sacohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #11
TheCuban

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacohan View Post
make sure the old gasket did not stick, you may have double gaskets which will definatly cause a leak
I triple checked lol, made sure it wasn't in there. I actually never had the gasket stick, even when I took of the old one when I purchased the car (it was so hard, I had to stab it with a screwdriver, and it finally came off, but bent the screwdriver).