Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 05-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
Track_OK

Drives: 2016 1SS M6 Summit White
Spun Rod Bearing @ 670 miles

Yup that's right! Driving my 1ss up the street to my place and I get a crazy banging sound coming from the front. Pull into my place thinking maybe I'm crazy and hearing things.

Sure enough I start her up the next day and right away it comes back. Nope.Not good. Had the car towed from my spot to the nearest dealership and my worst fears became a reality.

Spun rod bearing at 670 miles.

So now I'm waiting for a whole new engine to be shipped to SoCal and installed. 1 week today since I brought her in and I got a call saying I should get my car back this week.

I'm not blaming Chevy for the issue per se. In fact I blame whoever drove my car like an A-hole for the first 275 miles of test drives before I got the car.

Moral of the story. Make sure your "New" car has low enough miles on it to be properly broken in the way YOU want it to be done.

Anyone else have a similar issue? Hope not tbh
Track_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:13 PM   #2
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
I would be trying to work with GM and the dealer on a new car. You now have a "new" car with its second engine. No longer numbers matching and it should show on the Car Fax report as well. I would want a pristine new car and none of the diminished value that comes from an engine swap at 670 miles. But that's just me.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #3
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Stuff happens.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #4
mjw930

Drives: 2015 Porsche BGTS, 2016 2SS
No such thing as "numbers matching" anymore so forget that notion. And there won't be any diminished value due to the engine replacement regardless whether it's reported on CarFax or not.

He can ask all he wants but he won't be getting a new car. He'll get one fixed under the terms of the warranty he agreed to when he purchased the car.

It does suck but as others commented, stuff happens. I also doubt it had anything to do with whatever someone did during the first 200 or so miles. A spun bearing that early is usually indicative of a defective part or improper assembly, not improper run in.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Man that sucks.

Did they try to see if the engine was over revved?
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #6
Jkfsu
Banned

Drives: 2016 5.0
Definitely has nothing to do with the test drives. I've driven every single one of my new cars hard off the lot and never experienced such a thing. You'll be okay with a new engine!
Jkfsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #7
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
A spun rod bearing has nothing to do with engine break in. You have a defective part and/or something was not assembled properly at the factory.

The warranty exists for sucky situations like this one. The car is mass produced so don't sweat the original motor being yanked out.

You will be back on the road soon.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #8
Track_OK

Drives: 2016 1SS M6 Summit White
Hey Guys!

Good to know I wont have to worry about the Numbers matching thing. I did call GM and they will most likely be paying my first car payment or giving me an a GM accessory credit. They were adamant about not getting a new car sent out though...

Hey gotta try right?

Thanks for all the replies!
Track_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:14 PM   #9
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
there is a known oil pump pickup issue that will lead to spun bearing. That said I'm glad GM made it right with you.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:42 PM   #10
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
there is a known oil pump pickup issue that will lead to spun bearing. That said I'm glad GM made it right with you.
good point. wonder if that was it. it think a build date could start help us narrow it.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:49 PM   #11
Wheel Team 6

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Spun rod bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_OK View Post
Yup that's right! Driving my 1ss up the street to my place and I get a crazy banging sound coming from the front. Pull into my place thinking maybe I'm crazy and hearing things.

Sure enough I start her up the next day and right away it comes back. Nope.Not good. Had the car towed from my spot to the nearest dealership and my worst fears became a reality.

So now I'm waiting for a whole new engine to be shipped to SoCal and installed. 1 week today since I brought her in and I got a call saying I should get my car back this week.

I'm not blaming Chevy for the issue per se. In fact I blame whoever drove my car like an A-hole for the first 275 miles of test drives before I got the car.

Moral of the story. Make sure your "New" car has low enough miles on it to be properly broken in the way YOU want it to be done.

I totally shook my head in agreement the moment i read your post. After going to one dealership to view a 2ss I was considering the so called expert salesman who didn't know crap about camaros grabbed the wrong keyfob for a v6 car so in his rush to go get the 2ss keyfob he dry starts and revs the car to bump off the limiter. Slings the rear end around in the parking lot twice. I know the v6 camaro is a beast in its own right but seriously a dealer let's people trash these cars like that is absurd. Then when he gets back tells me erroneous info about the 2016 1le on the lot this is back in February mind you. Then revs the heck out of the 2ss over and over. I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Then when I went to the next dealer found an amazingly high optioned 2ss almost just like I wanted it. Even placed a deposit on it as I was selling a boat and another car to complete the deal. In that 2 week span the 6 piston front brakes and rotors looked beat to hell and back. Interior was dirty as a used 2015. I had looked at the odometer previously. It was very low miles then i clicked the display and saw over 100 miles already on it since I was last there. I then asked the salesman that I thought he said this particular car wasn't a demo as they have a demo turbo 4, v6, & v8 car. That the 50k plus cars are not test driven. After I raised these questions and got conflicting responses I then found out they take this car home throughout the week. He then said as long as it hasn't been registered then it is considered a new car. That they have had 300-600 miles on cars at the time of a sale. I said well good luck with that then got my deposit back. I then found a dealer with an allocation who ordered my car that I'm waiting on in the next week or so.

I had spoken to a few people about this and here you are confirming my suspicions. Hope you get it back ASAP with a solid new engine.
Wheel Team 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:41 PM   #12
myrally1

Drives: 2016 summit white 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_OK View Post

rocker arm on cylinder one broke on mine with only 179 miles on it
myrally1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:53 PM   #13
ReFLeX135

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
My A8 transmission was bad around at least 210 miles and replaced on mine but engine seems fine. I do have my suspicions that someone messed it up on the drive over from the other dealer.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #14
robbie52

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Mine had 8 miles on it and most of that was getting car filled up on day of sale. No way I would buy a "new" car with 300- 600 miles on it.
robbie52 is offline   Reply With Quote