Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 03-13-2016, 05:09 AM   #1
greg72982

Drives: Black 2017 2SS
When will it be "safe" to get a new Camaro

I've been reading some of these threads about the issues people are having with these cars (and there seems to be ALOT). I originally planned to wait for the 2017's to come out because I didn't like the idea of buying a first year model of a car and this forum seems to support that. The problem is my patience isn't holding up as well as I had hoped. That's more or less where my question in the thread title comes in. Do you guys think in a few months some of these issues will be corrected or will I have to wait until at least the 2017 models come out, if even then?
greg72982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:15 AM   #2
pete1077

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS
I look at it like playing the lottery. A lottery you don't want to win. The cars have been in production since October and I really don't think there are that many problems. Of course I feel bad for everyone who is experiencing problems and hope GM takes care of them. The vast majority of cars don't have any issues. You only hear the complaints from people who have problems.
I ordered my 2SS last months since I wanted my car in the spring time when I would actually be able to enjoy it. It's now the tail end of the model year and I would hope they fixed any bugs by now. Waiting for 2017 models means missing out on half the year of driving. There is also a chance of price increases for 2017 however also a possibility you could get a better deal on a 2016.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:33 AM   #3
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1077 View Post
I look at it like playing the lottery. A lottery you don't want to win. The cars have been in production since October and I really don't think there are that many problems. Of course I feel bad for everyone who is experiencing problems and hope GM takes care of them. The vast majority of cars don't have any issues. You only hear the complaints from people who have problems.
I ordered my 2SS last months since I wanted my car in the spring time when I would actually be able to enjoy it. It's now the tail end of the model year and I would hope they fixed any bugs by now. Waiting for 2017 models means missing out on half the year of driving. There is also a chance of price increases for 2017 however also a possibility you could get a better deal on a 2016.

I'm not sure if its a small number with issues or not. I do know I have looked at several camaros at several dealers and have seen issues already just looking at them on the lot. These are just some issues....deep scuff mark swirls in the paint on the quarter panel on one. A broken seat motor on passenger seat on another, a heavy miss while sitting idling in one, never seen one yet where any of the seats reclined fully but one I sat in the passenger seat recline maybe 2in more than the drivers seat.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:42 AM   #4
greg72982

Drives: Black 2017 2SS
Has there been any indication on when they'll announce what's new for 2017?
greg72982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #5
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
I was in your position when the Gen5 Camaro came along. I waited until 2011 and ended up with the worst car I have ever owned. In addition, I learned a hard lesson on how you will be treated by GM after you hand over your money.

As someone else pointed out, you're playing the lemon lottery. Feel lucky?
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:05 AM   #6
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
I drove 2 ss cars and they both had what felt like an intermittent miss at idle.
parish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:01 AM   #7
MikeyCamaro

Drives: 2015 Challenger SRT
I went to my dealer a couple months ago. Didn't get to drive one (dealer didn't want miles on them) but there were two 2SS's on the lot. Checked them out and started them up. Didn't notice any idle problems or QC problems at the time but didn't really know what to look for either. Honestly, if there had been one more inch of legroom and one more inch of headroom in the back seat, I might be driving one now, figuring the kids could live with it. Glad I didn't jump though given the QC issues I've heard here. Still would like to get one in about 3 years when my oldest is off to college. I feel like all the kinks will be worked out by then. Of course, by then, Dodge may have a redesigned Challenger too... so GM may have lost their opportunity with me. Who knows.

Mike
MikeyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:03 AM   #8
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
The LT1 one idles rough. They always have. I'll bet many are confusing this with an "idle miss"…
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:18 AM   #9
Danew_377
Chief Bief

Drives: Nightfall Gray Camaro 1SS
The car has very few downfalls that are specifically by way of defect. I think they have done quite a good job in producing this car. There is always going to be some speculation on when it's safe to buy a car, but this generation has done well so far.
Danew_377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #10
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
The solid lifter LT1 in my old 1970 Corvette never idled rough. The valve train was noisy though. It reminds me of the modern Hemi motors that sound like a sewing machine.

In 2016, there shouldn't be a rough idle on a computer controlled motor if the motor is running right.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:24 AM   #11
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post

In 2016, there shouldn't be a rough idle on a computer controlled motor if the motor is running right.
Well owners perceive they do....its been that way on the corvette forums for the last two years.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:06 AM   #12
Marty McFlew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
The LT1 one idles rough. They always have. I'll bet many are confusing this with an "idle miss"…
Nope...I'm familiar with the LT1, this was a miss not a rough idle. And this was an issue in just one car at idle not all.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:10 AM   #13
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Buy your Camaro and be happy! Now good luck with corporate greed.
MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:12 AM   #14
Marty McFlew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCamaro View Post
I went to my dealer a couple months ago. Didn't get to drive one (dealer didn't want miles on them) but there were two 2SS's on the lot. Checked them out and started them up. Didn't notice any idle problems or QC problems at the time but didn't really know what to look for either. Honestly, if there had been one more inch of legroom and one more inch of headroom in the back seat, I might be driving one now, figuring the kids could live with it. Glad I didn't jump though given the QC issues I've heard here. Still would like to get one in about 3 years when my oldest is off to college. I feel like all the kinks will be worked out by then. Of course, by then, Dodge may have a redesigned Challenger too... so GM may have lost their opportunity with me. Who knows.

Mike

If were coming to this site and not seeing all the issues, I pretty sure I would be either driving a 2016 now or at least placed an order by now. And some of the negative dealer feedback just turns me off more.