Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
MadMav

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6
Things to ask before getting a custom tune.

Getting a baseline dyno tomorrow at my possible future tuners shop. I'm going to chat it up about a possible dyno tune with him. What things should I ask him to do? Can he do? Should be done? Any help would be great.

Mav
Old 12-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
^^^ Good idea, This should help alot of folks. Including me when I decide
to get one.
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Me Too.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
MadMav

Nobody wants to help huh?

Mav
Old 12-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
jamesc1123

Drives: CGM 2SS RS w/ white stripes
I'm not too knowledgeable on the topic, but to get something going, see what he would do different for straight up power for the strip/racetrack vs. a good blend of increased power while still maintaining or improving gas mileage and driveability. See if there's anything that you could use in the nearest term future-lower temp t-stat, new MAF. Can you get a wide-band O2 sensor setup to improve any of the readings and work better with the changes he makes. Stock cars run reaalllyyyy rich, so of course that should be looked at. While you're at it, have him take out skip shift too.
jamesc1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMav View Post
Getting a baseline dyno tomorrow at my possible future tuners shop. I'm going to chat it up about a possible dyno tune with him. What things should I ask him to do? Can he do? Should be done? Any help would be great.

Mav
Ask him how much experience he has with LS engines...not time...but #'s. Also ask what the cost is for additional tuning and/or refining the tune. I would also talk to others that have had work done by the shop and get their opinions and experience with said shop (and not 'new' customers...folks that are driving cars that were worked on a year or more ago). Some tuners will tune for horsepower, others for driveability...and everything in between. I'm no expert, but I know what I think feels right to me. After having the car a few days and finding some REALLY nit picky items, Mike spent some time in the passenger seat riding around with me getting it perfect for me (not for the dyno)

I was fortunate...my father had his vette worked on by Vengeance and research on Mike's experience was easy...I just had to ask him when they could fit me in.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:18 PM   #7
MadMav

Thanks all so far!

I know the shop, and guys personally. Top notch. Bit pricey, but limited options around here and they are very good. Tons of LS cars under thier belts, and the tuned/installed Mtcwby's Vortec. My main concern is to help them help me the best. I need info on what I should have deleted, changed or otherwise.

Like....

Skip shift,
Get rid of the popping on decel(not sure what this is)
Get rid of the TQ management
etc.....just don't want to miss anything.

Mav

Last edited by MadMav; 12-18-2009 at 09:09 AM.
MadMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #8
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
If you have an auto make sure he has 6l80 experience. Tuners tend to be uninformed about a lot of the perameters for the trans and you will have conflicting tables causing the trans to behave strangely.

Every dyno tune should be done with a wideband. Theres really no other way to do it unless you like guessing.

Ask about retunes to fix problems you find with it and prices for updates to your tune.

Best advice is when you find a guy, get references from people that have been there before.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
make sure they keep your stock tune in case you ever want to flash it back in...and I'd ask if they charge for that.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #10
MadMav

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
make sure they keep your stock tune in case you ever want to flash it back in...and I'd ask if they charge for that.
Good one.

Mav
Old 12-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #11
SSyanide

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Be sure it'll be a safe tune. Some shops want to go crazy just to get a higher dyno number and it won't be safe for all driving conditions. I'd rather be safe an leave a couple of ponies on the table then get a knock or detonation.
SSyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
you could also see if they check the tune on the street to make sure it's perfect under driving conditions (not just on the dyno).
Old 12-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
If you're still stock, I wouldn't even look at a tune yet. On the LS3's you'll see minimal gain anyway. Now if you're looking at upgrading and throwing on some longtubes, cai etc...then a tune is warranted.
TVS2300 Supercharger w/Maggie Max Stage 2, 3.6 Pulley, Innovators West 8 rib conversion, OD rear Cog belt drive.
Jannetty Racing Rough Idle Cam, LS3 Conversion.
Jannetty Racing built 6l80e Trans, Jannetty Racing Custom Converter, Built rear diff w/ 3.45 gears, DSS driveshaft and 1400 hp axles.
ADM Twin Pump Fuel System, ADM CAI, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Borla "S" Catback.
Custom 18" Forgestar F14's, Nitto 305/45-18 DR's
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #14
MadMav

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy48 View Post
If you're still stock, I wouldn't even look at a tune yet. On the LS3's you'll see minimal gain anyway. Now if you're looking at upgrading and throwing on some longtubes, cai etc...then a tune is warranted.
Testing intake on the dyno today. Will get a tune in a few weeks(probably). I will be getting headers and cam in the future.

Mav