Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #15
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
GM recommends you use "Top Tier" gasoline. (go to www.toptier.com) It does make a difference. As does using higher octane (93). I found both out in time. Dealers tend to put lousy gasoline in our cars. Whusup with that? My car runs MUCH better with top tier 93 octane gasoine. Boosts your adreneline rush & permagrin too!! Avoid the ethanol if you can in your area. Not that good for your engine. But only a very few places sell it here.

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 07-29-2010 at 10:22 PM. Reason: add statement
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:51 AM   #16
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
The manual says that you only need 87 or higher, but we have found that higher octane is better. I suggest 93. Do a search and you will agree...
Who is "we"? I think the engineers that designed the engines know what is best. If I could run 87 in my L99 and not have the engine de-tune itself, I would do it. You only need higher octane to prevent detonation. If it does not detonate, you don't need it. ( I am aware of all of the anti knock sensors that retard timing to stop detonation in the V-8.) The higher test gasoline is just feel good stuff in the six banger and is a waste of money.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:10 AM   #17
69lt1bird

Drives: 1969 Pontiac Firebid
If GM decided that 87 octane is optimal for the engines performance than run 87. If you get knock, yes it will drop to the low octane table for a period of time until the PCM is satisfied that the knock s gone so the engine does not get damaged.

High octane fuel in an engine that does not need actually can cost you horsepower, not gain it. The thermal efficiency (BTU) is lower.

You may just have a seat of the pants feel of more power because your wallet is lighter from buying fuel that you do not need.

Here are some details.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...tos/aut12.shtm

Michigan Snowmobiler
1969 Firebird: 7.55@97.93 1/8 1.70 60 ft.[/COLOR] EPS cam 234/246 .602.606 114+3, 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads milled 10.5:1, Ported L76 intake, ported 90mm Holley TB, 100mm MAF, FIC Custom injectors, Hooker LT, PYPES dual exhaust with an X pipe, 4L65e with all of the good parts inside, FTI 4000 RPM Stall, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. HP Tuner tuned by me
69lt1bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:23 AM   #18
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
Opinions vary. But if the manual says 87 is good to go then why would spend more on higher octane?

I'm going with 87 with a fill-up of 93 every four fills or so. 93 does have additives and detergents in it that are good for your car, so getting that in there once in a while is good, but you don't need it all the time.

Do what you want, it's your money and it's your car. But 87 is perfectly fine, it says so in the manual!
lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:33 AM   #19
Michelle42780
Cracker

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Summit White/Beige
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
GM recommends you use "Top Tier" gasoline. (go to www.toptier.com) It does make a difference. As does using higher octane (93). I found both out in time. Dealers tend to put lousy gasoline in our cars. Whusup with that? My car runs MUCH better with top tier 93 octane gasoine. Boosts your adreneline rush & permagrin too!! Avoid the ethanol if you can in your area. Not that good for your engine. But only a very few places sell it here.
GM recommends an automated palletizer?

www.toptiergas.com maybe?

Michelle42780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:41 AM   #20
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Drives: Summiit White 2SS/RS/M6
I use nothing but Chevron 93 octane
Old 07-30-2010, 07:03 AM   #21
x626xBlack
ARMY of one.

Drives: 2011 Black SS/RS
x626xBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:12 AM   #22
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAN View Post
Who is "we"? I think the engineers that designed the engines know what is best. If I could run 87 in my L99 and not have the engine de-tune itself, I would do it. You only need higher octane to prevent detonation. If it does not detonate, you don't need it. ( I am aware of all of the anti knock sensors that retard timing to stop detonation in the V-8.) The higher test gasoline is just feel good stuff in the six banger and is a waste of money.
"We" are people on this site who have actually done their research and tests...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1532269&postcount=14

And that's just one member who tested this theory. There have been others that have done the same and got the same results.

So your last sentence is false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69lt1bird View Post
If GM decided that 87 octane is optimal for the engines performance than run 87. If you get knock, yes it will drop to the low octane table for a period of time until the PCM is satisfied that the knock s gone so the engine does not get damaged.

High octane fuel in an engine that does not need actually can cost you horsepower, not gain it. The thermal efficiency (BTU) is lower.

You may just have a seat of the pants feel of more power because your wallet is lighter from buying fuel that you do not need.

Here are some details.
The v6 only has one octane table. it's not the same as the SS's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by x626xBlack View Post
Old 07-30-2010, 11:05 AM   #23
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
"We" are people on this site who have actually done their research and tests...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1532269&postcount=14

And that's just one member who tested this theory. There have been others that have done the same and got the same results.

So your last sentence is false.

The v6 only has one octane table. it's not the same as the SS's.

As much as this has been posted to death, there hasn't been a real test of different fuels. What needs to happen is this:

1. Fuel needs to be run out or drained.
2. Fuse pull needs to occur to see if there's any change.
3. Fill up and run out 87 to empty.
4. Fuse pull.
5. Fill up on next tier gas (whatever you might have) and run to empty
6. Repeat.

When you run the fuel out you need consistent driving (same course, same weather, and same speeds). You need to document this and if possible repeat more than once. A Dyno test would be nice too just to rule out performance increases and that test should be done more than once on the same type of fuel.

Problem is people load up fuel and then go... "Oh man I feel a difference". Get out of here. It's not going to be that significant that you FEEL a difference. The only way to really see an increase is calculating mileage and HP and seeing if that changes over a series of runs. But I have yet to see someone do that.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #24
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69lt1bird View Post

Here are some details.

get your flame suit on because he come the V6 guys high on higher octane = more hp.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:35 PM   #25
Freezy
Synergy Green Lantern

Drives: to win.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #26
lock

Drives: 11 2SS/RS E-Force Supercharged
Here we go again. Go with what the GM engineers recommend and buy a slurpee at each fill-up with the money you arent wasting on premium.

lock is offline   Reply With Quote