Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-19-2015, 08:14 PM   #1
mandolino

Drives: 2011 ls camaro
warranty is it worth it?

so i recently bought a 2011 ls with 17xxx miles. and i paid close to 3 grand for a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty ive been looking at modding it so it will void warranty but i have the option to cancel the warranty. has any one had any real big problems with the llt? should i worry about not having a warranty and just wait till its up or get my money back?
mandolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #2
Tricksta

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolino View Post
so i recently bought a 2011 ls with 17xxx miles. and i paid close to 3 grand for a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty ive been looking at modding it so it will void warranty but i have the option to cancel the warranty. has any one had any real big problems with the llt? should i worry about not having a warranty and just wait till its up or get my money back?
If you are going to mod your car, might as well just get your money back, although keep in mind if the warranty price was figured into the financing price(assuming you financed) The warranty refund will go directly to your Financer.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #3
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I kept my extended warranty after I started modding. Any warranty claim that is denied has to show your mods caused or contributed to the problem. Things like power windows & many such things that have nothing to do with your car modifications can & do go wrong & can be expensive. For example I had a broken seat in my car fixed under warranty. Not much way modifications can impact on something like that.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:16 AM   #4
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
For the most part, these are good engines, but the LLT has been known to have a few issues that've seen pop up here on the forums several times.

1) Some of these engines suddenly lose oil due to a spun rod bearing or something similar. Best I can say due to my knowledge on this is that many short trips in the LLT without getting it fully hot so the excess fuel/moisture in the engine oil can burn off has been a cause for this, although I can't say its always the cause. We have owners on here with over 100,000 miles and no issues (aside from timing chain...I'll get to that) so just keep an eye on your oil level often, and keep the oil fresh.

2) timing chain. The LLTs were known for having stretched timing chains, and again, being a little low on oil seems to make this issue worse. As the chain stretches, owners notice a bit less power, and a bit less MPGs, and eventually it will cause a check engine light. At some point on the 2011 models, it is believe the chains were replaced with a better quality version. See this thread for details: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396560

I'm not trying to worry you, as my car has been perfect as well. But these are the issues. For the most part, these little V6s are awesome in my opinion. You may want to contact your dealer and ask them about mods, and ask them if the even the simple stuff like exhaust and intake will cause them to want to void your warranty. By law, if there is a major issue with your car, they must show reason as to how your mods caused the problem. If it is un-related, they should fix your car, but its not always that simple.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
If I bought my car used, I would hang on to the warranty for at least the 1st year and do mostly cosmetic mods. You never know how the previous owner treated it.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:20 AM   #6
VEESIKS
formerly 2011Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS IBM M6
They have to prove your mods caused the problem before they can deny warranty. I just had a motor replaced and didn't even bother taking mods off. As long as you don't have internal engine work you should be good (also take off tune before going in if you get one)
Old 02-21-2015, 12:28 AM   #7
IBM camaro
Texas HT5

Drives: IBM
I replaced it at 60k miles or so it cost about 3 k or so lol for another good engine
IBM camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:23 AM   #8
mandolino

Drives: 2011 ls camaro
Man so it seems like I should keep it then huh I'll just hold off some of the major mods then at least for a while I still have only 20xxx so it seems I have a whole to go before problems arise if they do. Thanks!
mandolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #9
IBM camaro
Texas HT5

Drives: IBM
No I'm saying replacing major parts of this car isn't very expensive so mod away. I'm 22 now I've been modding this car since I got it new, I used my warranty only 1 time on a steering wheel clock spring
IBM camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolino View Post
Think about it this way. The company issuing the warranty is willing to bet an unlimited amount of money against your $3000 that at the end of the term they will come out financially ahead. It is all about calculated risk and they have an entire business based on making you feel warm and fuzzy while they make money. You are better off putting $3k aside in a savings account for 5 years in case you need repairs. Just my 2 cents.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:05 PM   #11
forklord

Drives: 2010 2SS
Find a dealer that is into cars themselves. My local dealer rebuilt my diff and threw in an eaton true trac with free labor since they were gonna replace the stock posi anyway under my extended warranty. And i was at 600+ whp at the time. Also changed faulty oil cooler gasket and the heater unit. Find the right dealer.
2010 2SS- 562whp/634wtq 12 psi on3 turbo 78mm magnum /w aem truboost, pat g cam, Kooks 3" catback, Factory Rep 41s with 285/315 20" michelin PSS, Snow Meth, Hex Hood Vents, ZL1 FP & ADM FPCM /w JMS BAP, ID 850s, DSS lvl 4 axles & aluminum 1 piece D/S, Total Pro BMR bushings, fe4 sways, toe rods & trailing arms, Prothane engine mounts, MGW shifter, eaton true trac, mantic 9000 clutch, idealg master cylinder, JDP clutch oil reservoir, ram clutch pedal adjust, Tick clutch & bleed lines, Dewitts Rad
forklord is offline   Reply With Quote