Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
cjon9657

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
Send a message via MSN to cjon9657
Lightbulb Cylinder misfire

I have a 2010 v6 camaro a year ago I put on bbk long tube headers and ever since my check engine light has been on because of the o2 sensors which is common. The past few days in the morning when u first star it up it has ran sluggish so I decided to hook up me code scanner and it says I have a few cylinders that are misfiring. Because my car runs a little rich I'm thinking carbonation build up. Anyone else experience this?
cjon9657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
VEESIKS
formerly 2011Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS IBM M6
Do you have a ghost cam?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Do you have a catchcan on? The oil ingestion can cuse all sorts of issues resulting in a misfire. Also, clean your MAF with MAF cleaner.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjon9657 View Post
I have a 2010 v6 camaro a year ago I put on bbk long tube headers and ever since my check engine light has been on because of the o2 sensors which is common. The past few days in the morning when u first star it up it has ran sluggish so I decided to hook up me code scanner and it says I have a few cylinders that are misfiring. Because my car runs a little rich I'm thinking carbonation build up. Anyone else experience this?
Are you experiencing any rough idle when you first start the car? Or also known as during "cat warm up mode"

If your answer is no then make sure your coil plugs are not loose, check your spark plugs, and do a routine cleaning of your fuel system and perform top engine cleaning with either seafoam or GM TEC(gm top engine cleaner), and as above stated clean your maf. Check your TB for build up too.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk 2
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
cjon9657

Rough idle only happens at start up
Old 04-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Look like you are experiencing cat warm up cycle misfires. This is a very well known issue that is a real PITA. Just ask the LNF guys and they will tell you all about it. The crazy thing with this is that some have this problem appear overtime and some never. I am one of the unlucky one's that started having this problem around 18k miles. GM realized that this is a problem finally and now they have a TSB reflash for misfire issues. There are a few V6 guys that already got the reflash due to the same problem but it look like there are couple that's still having this problem even after the reflash. If you are tuned you can have the cat warm up mode turned off, but if you are not tuned than simply take the car to the dealer and have them reflash the problem and hope that your car will never have the problem again. Some LNF guys found out that the teflon seal on these direct injected fuel injectors would get burned out and deteriorate over time if you was using e85. I happen to be one of those guys that was using ethanol so that will be my last check or it will have to be turned off unless I just decide to live with 20-30 seconds of cammed like idle and frequent CEL clearing. Keep us posted

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
OP - Have you ever ran E85?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
I had the same problem when I took mine out of storage I kept getting missfires from bad gas. I did put stabil in before I stored it but idk. I went to the dealership they just told me to put dry gas in it and they cleared the code for me. It has been fine since and that was o 3 weeks ago?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
carbonation build up? did you dump a coke in your tank or something?

Last edited by hapisok; 04-20-2012 at 07:33 PM.
hapisok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #10
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkjr27 View Post
I had the same problem when I took mine out of storage I kept getting missfires from bad gas. I did put stabil in before I stored it but idk. I went to the dealership they just told me to put dry gas in it and they cleared the code for me. It has been fine since and that was o 3 weeks ago?
dry gas is basically the same formula thats in seafoam or techron fuel system cleaner right? I tried both still no go. different gas stations, no go. checked everything I could check and is all fine. only thing I didn't check is my fuel injectors. once I do that and if they are fine than I will be back to square one. I guess I will just live with the 20-30 seconds of big a$$ cammed like idle and frequently clearing misfire CEL's or just follow everyone's advise and turn the darn cat warm up mode off, which I still wont be satisfied with either. kjkjr, If your misfire went away with dry gas than I don't think the problem was the actual cat warm up cycle misfire problem. you might of just had a bad batch of gas possibly. If you guys have the real cat warm up bug, dry gas wont solve that LOL.

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #11
cjon9657

What I don't understand is it only acts up at cold start first thing in the morning. I notice no misfiring while I'm driving or loss of power and it does not do it at any other cold start thru ought the day.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Quote:
What I don't understand is it only acts up at cold start first thing in the morning. I notice no misfiring while I'm driving or loss of power and it does not do it at any other cold start thru ought the day.
That's what make this problem such a PITA to deal with. its only for that first 20-30 seconds than everything is fine after that. A dealer reflash supposed to fix the problem so give it a go and see how it work out.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
what a bizzare PITA, you and Bmore seem to have the same issue. I hope you get it worked out. I guess the silver linning is it is only for 20-30 seconds and not all the time.

Be curious if the reflash solves the issue.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #14
bmorecam
Account Suspended

GM is aware of this issue and the TSB "supposed" to fix the problem. I only know of two members that are still having issues after the reflash so they possibly could of had other issues unrelated to cat warm up misfire. The rest of the peoples that had the problem seem to be good after the reflash. I just wish I knew what is the reason behind this. This problem go back years, even affecting other brand of cars that has cat warm up cycle on cold start up. Within the GM cars, this problem exist from caddy's, all LNF, and even holden commodores.