Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 08-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #29
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
9.5mpg here. We don't have many highways here, so mostly town driving and I have not had the opportunity to take any road trips. I'm sure its my driving style for most of the hit and my mods for the rest. If I can get out on the highway I can reset the average mpg and it will go to 23mpg or so for that short distance. Don't feel bad OP, your not alone. Keep your RPM's up some to balance the power to weight ratio and your mileage will improve.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #30
txgoose

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS
Living in Cape might have a little to do with it... no exactly flat land. I only get a little above 13 in SATX at an average speed ~30mph (back and forth to work on the back roads). I do see 25+ on the highways ~75mph, so how can I complain. I finally should say that I've just resolve myself to fill with premium fuel every time I reach a quarter of a tank and enjoy the ride.
txgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #31
EasternAggie

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS3 M6
When I make my 4-1/2 hour trips back home, I get about 26-27mpg. It's highway driving, usually cruise set at 68mph, but the entire drive is riddled with small towns every 15-25 miles (so I have to slow down and speed up again, stop signs, red lights, etc.) and usually at least 5-10 vehicles to pass.

My "around town" average is around 20-21 (as I don't live in the city, this is a mixture of city streets, county roads, and short drives on the highway.

I don't baby my car, I like to hear my V8 sing, but I don't floor it every time either.

1994 Ford F-150
5.9L 12v Cummins NV4500
Pump work, injectors, turbo, etc.

1995 Dodge 3500 5.9L 12v Cummins 47RH
EasternAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #32
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternAggie View Post
When I make my 4-1/2 hour trips back home, I get about 26-27mpg. It's highway driving, usually cruise set at 68mph, but the entire drive is riddled with small towns every 15-25 miles (so I have to slow down and speed up again, stop signs, red lights, etc.) and usually at least 5-10 vehicles to pass.

My "around town" average is around 20-21 (as I don't live in the city, this is a mixture of city streets, county roads, and short drives on the highway.

I don't baby my car, I like to hear my V8 sing, but I don't floor it every time either.
On a five hour trip, I got exactly this type of MPG. I was happily surprised. I wish my normal highway driving didn't involve so much bumper to bumper traffic. Why are there traffic jams at 6:15 am???!?!
Old 08-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #33
Supreme Leader
Account Suspended

Drives: MANual
Lol right now I'm at 11 mpg with skipping any shifts.
Supreme Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #34
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
You need to get those rocket ship tips that will get you there a lot faster and save on gas since they will be shorter trips....
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #35
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Low Fuel Economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme Leader View Post
Lol I said I did a fuse pull and premium gas.

And yea half my trip everyday is back roads which is 35mph. But I usually go around 50 in 6th gear (no cars)

Also is it bad on the engine for it to be going up a hill in a high gear with emgine at 1000 rpm??
Yes. Your lugging the engine making it work harder than it needs to. Get a skip shift eliminator and don't go into 5th or 6th unless your on the highway. You can rev 2nd out a little and go right into 4th but that's as high a gear as you will need. Your getting average MPG for a SS anyway. You bought a V8. They use fuel. The dude that said he gets 20 mpg does not get that. Maybe he has a V6 with a SS front bumper or something. Anything over 15-16 mpg city driving is questionable.

Rev a little higher and stop lugging that engine. The rod bearings have already taken a beating it sounds like. Hopefully you bought it used so it wasn't broken in like that because you have a future oil burner if its been driven like that since new.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #36
Supreme Leader
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguy327 View Post
Yes. Your lugging the engine making it work harder than it needs to. Get a skip shift eliminator and don't go into 5th or 6th unless your on the highway. You can rev 2nd out a little and go right into 4th but that's as high a gear as you will need. Your getting average MPG for a SS anyway. You bought a V8. They use fuel. The dude that said he gets 20 mpg does not get that. Maybe he has a V6 with a SS front bumper or something. Anything over 15-16 mpg city driving is questionable.

Rev a little higher and stop lugging that engine. The rod bearings have already taken a beating it sounds like. Hopefully you bought it used so it wasn't broken in like that because you have a future oil burner if its been driven like that since new.
Why would I get a skip shift eliminator if I skip shifts more than it comes on? Which it barley ever comes on.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #37
Supreme Leader
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ashengrey View Post
I wouldn't expect it either but I wouldn't lie about mpg, I could care less if it got that good.
Take a picture of you DLC then and post it.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #38
LBV

Drives: G8 GXP manual
Like several have said, you're using more fuel by lugging it in too high of a gear.

Can you guys with Camaros put your display into "engineering mode" at all like I can with my G8?

Beyond a bunch of other parameters you'll see, one is instant fuel economy. Use that to see how your driving effects your fuel economy ... provides very good insight.

Zeta platform, LS3,TR6060 tranny ... ya, it's a 4-dr Camaro!

Borla cat-back, H&R springs, & Sprintbooster & I love it!
LBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #39
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Low Fuel Economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme Leader View Post
Why would I get a skip shift eliminator if I skip shifts more than it comes on? Which it barley ever comes on.
It was a joke. You need to learn how to drive a manual transmission without destroying the equipment. Was the engine broken in driving it the way you drive it in the original post??
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #40
87GNX

Drives: Alot
6.2L isn't exactly known for mpg....enjoy the power/torque. Getting anything above 15mpg in a big/high traffic city is a miracle.
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #41
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Avoid quick acceleration from a standstill and high cruising speeds on the highway.

Now that's funny! It's a Camaro SS!! Gotta love the Customer Service answers sometimes!
I get 12-14 at best...99% city driving. I drive it like a Camaro though, so I don't expect anything else.

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #42
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Wow, guess I should consider myself fortunate. I have had my 1LE for 2 and a half weeks now. I have 1700 miles on her and the computer says I am averaging 17.5mpg.

I have an 18 mile commute to work (each way) that is a combination of 45 and 65mph roads.

No complaints though, it is way better than my Wife's Jeep. It averages 12.5 most weeks.