Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #1
noisemker

Drives: RY 2LT/RS
Oil question

After going for an oil change they say come back after x amount of miles or a certain time? Why the time frame does oil break down? I only ask cause I stored the car for the winter and am wonder if I should get it done even though I didn't use it. Also If the oil does break down does that mean it has an expire date too in the bottle?

Airaid Intake And Solo CatBack Solo Highflow Cats
noisemker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
noisemker

Bump

Old 04-24-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
Blakk11SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Maybe what they're saying is that if you are not driving very much but many months have passed, then it's probably a good idea to change the oil. Maybe synthetic oil ages/oxidizes less over time than conventional oil; so letting it sit over the Winter may be less of a risk, but you should change it when getting the Camaro back on the road. I doubt new oil in its container will go bad, its sealed airtight, so will probably shelve ok for a year or 2 just fine. Try doing some Winter prep searches here on C5 for more threads, I've seen a few over the past few years.
Blakk11SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:54 PM   #4
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
The injectors drip fuel for a period of time even with the engine off, diluting the oil. Short trips in cold weather mean running in a rich condition a lot, compounding the problem. Moisture also contaminates the oil. I would put fresh oil in when you take it out of storage. Cost of living up north!
Old 04-25-2015, 11:13 AM   #5
noisemker

good to know thank you

Old 04-25-2015, 05:46 PM   #6
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
The injectors drip fuel for a period of time even with the engine off, diluting the oil. Short trips in cold weather mean running in a rich condition a lot, compounding the problem. Moisture also contaminates the oil. I would put fresh oil in when you take it out of storage. Cost of living up north!
Injectors drip for a period of time
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:01 PM   #7
LS3 Handler
I love the LS3

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS Manual
Ive read that oil in the motor regardless of miles does get contaminated over time. Even the best oils are recommended to be changed at least on a yearly basis. So i would say change it every spring even if the oil doesn't have many miles on it. Also condensation gets in every motor with temperature changes so small amounts of water get mixed in over time.

I recommend everyone going to bobistheoilguy.com and reading the motor oil 101 articles they have alot of good information on oil.
LS3 Handler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:10 PM   #8
Andy-AMSOIL

Drives: bicycle
Oils have plenty enemies... ethanol is a big one these days, carbon deposits, fuel dilution, dust from the environment etc...

Never skimp on the oil filter your cams, crank and rod bearings will like you
Andy-AMSOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #9
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
Oil starts to turn acidic after use due to residuals from combustion. Generally, many will tell you that you should change the oil after a year regardless of miles. I agree but use some common sense also, if you drove 20 miles and stored the car, I doubt there was enough use to turn the oil acidic.

On the other hand, maybe you are saying that you took it to a shop that put the obligatory 3 months/3,000 miles oil change sticker on your car. That's BS and just there to pad their pockets. There was a time when cars and oils were less advanced and 3,000 miles was realistic, the 3 months never was.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #10
giant_g2

Drives: '13 1LE, '89 Caprice
I change mine before I put it away. Then I run it for a little while in the spring before changing it. Might not be necessary, but it's good piece of mind and not too expensive if you do it yourself.
giant_g2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #11
RedRaven

Drives: 2012 2SS M6 CRT
The biggest issue with multi-viscosity oils (i.e. 5w30) is that the additives they put in to turn what is essentially 5 weight into 30 weight at operating temperature break down and the longer you run it the lower the viscosity. If you go too long you end up with 5 weight and it won't lubricate properly, especially under harsh conditions.

The biggest issue sitting in storage , as stated before, is temperature changes causing the engine block to "breathe", drawing in moisture. Yes, most of it will evaporate out again at operating temperature, but you won't get rid of all of it until you change the oil.

First real car: 1968 Malibu, '67 283, Canary yellow
RedRaven is offline   Reply With Quote