Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
Tecca

Drives: ...
Towels, Applicators, Mitts, Etc...,

Last edited by Tecca; 07-02-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
Halo2

Drives: 04 Mercury Marauder
Griots solves all of these issues.
Halo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
www.zainobros.com also has most of what you'll need.

I prefer their applicators, and towels. And they offer the bucket as well.

(Griots is good too.)
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
Timberline

Drives: 2010 SS/RS,LS3,M6,VR
You can get everything you listed from virtually anywhere...Target, Wal-mart, any auto parts store Autozone, ORiley's, NAPA.................... no need to pay more from mail order.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberline View Post
You can get everything you listed from virtually anywhere...Target, Wal-mart, any auto parts store Autozone, ORiley's, NAPA.................... no need to pay more from mail order.
You can, but unless you spend a little more money on quality materials, ie; wash mitts, towels, applicators, the time and effort put into polsihing your car may be wasted if the products scratches during washing, polish removal, etc...
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
You can, but unless you spend a little more money on quality materials, ie; wash mitts, towels, applicators, the time and effort put into polsihing your car may be wasted if the products scratches during washing, polish removal, etc...

QFT!

I try not to buy anything from walrmart anyway.I think poor Sam is rolling over in his grave.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Timberline

I have show cars and show them all of the time including Black vehicles and they are all like mirrors. It is all about technique, applying and removal. Rule # 1 make sure the wash mits towels etc.....are Clean !!! I if I think the towel is the least bit dirty I change up to another clean one. When I detail a car I use more than two towels.....could be up to 10+ before I am done with my black show car.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Here's my take and I hope it helps some of you in maintaining your ride. You would be surprised how much good you can do your car's finish just by washing it. Aside from maintaining the oil and keeping a coat of wax or sealant on the surface, routine washing is the most beneficial treatment you can give your vehicle.

Armed with two bucket's with grit guards and hose, here are the proper steps to make car washing easier:

1. If possible, work in the shade, out of direct sunlight. Elevated paint temperatures cause the wash and rinse water to evaporate too quickly, increasing the likelihood of water spotting.

2. Start by preparing a bucket with clean water and wash the wheels first with a proper wheel wash and brushes too. This prevents you from splattering cleaners, dirt and brake dust on already cleaned panels.

In addition to oily, road grime, wheels get coated with black, metallic, dust particles every time you brake. Car wash shampoos alone may not have the power to remove this baked-on combination. Many inexpensive wheel cleaners use an acid or petroleum solvent to dissolve this bonded contamination but these cleaners can stain alloy and anodized wheels. I use a item that works great and safe for your rims (P21S Wheel Cleaner).

3. Pre-rinse the entire vehicle. This quick rinse removes surface dirt and lowers the paint's temperature.
4. Now prepare another bucket with your favorite car wash shampoo. I also place a Grit Guard in the bottom of my wash bucket. (You'll be amazed at what you'll find in the bottom of the bucket after washing!)
5. Wash the vehicle from the top down. I use either The Bone , a Microfiber Wash Pad or a sheepskin wash mitt.
6. Rinse often during washing. After washing a section (i.e. door, fender, hood, etc.) rinse completely to prevent soap films from drying on the finish.
Detailing Secret #2 - After washing the entire vehicle, do a final rinse with free-flowing water (nozzle off the hose). This sheets most of the water off the vehicle. Trust me on this. I know it takes a minute to take the nozzle off the hose and do this final rinse but it will allow you to dry your vehicle in a fraction of time you would normally require.

7. Dry the vehicle like you washed it, from the top down. I do the roof first, then all the windows, the hood and trunk and finish with the sides. I use a leaf blowner to speed the process and then a waffle weave drying towel to finish it off.

Hope this helps you all out.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
Timberline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
Here's my take and I hope it helps some of you in maintaining your ride. You would be surprised how much good you can do your car's finish just by washing it. Aside from maintaining the oil and keeping a coat of wax or sealant on the surface, routine washing is the most beneficial treatment you can give your vehicle.

Armed with two bucket's with grit guards and hose, here are the proper steps to make car washing easier:

1. If possible, work in the shade, out of direct sunlight. Elevated paint temperatures cause the wash and rinse water to evaporate too quickly, increasing the likelihood of water spotting.

2. Start by preparing a bucket with clean water and wash the wheels first with a proper wheel wash and brushes too. This prevents you from splattering cleaners, dirt and brake dust on already cleaned panels.

In addition to oily, road grime, wheels get coated with black, metallic, dust particles every time you brake. Car wash shampoos alone may not have the power to remove this baked-on combination. Many inexpensive wheel cleaners use an acid or petroleum solvent to dissolve this bonded contamination but these cleaners can stain alloy and anodized wheels. I use a item that works great and safe for your rims (P21S Wheel Cleaner).

3. Pre-rinse the entire vehicle. This quick rinse removes surface dirt and lowers the paint's temperature.
4. Now prepare another bucket with your favorite car wash shampoo. I also place a Grit Guard in the bottom of my wash bucket. (You'll be amazed at what you'll find in the bottom of the bucket after washing!)
5. Wash the vehicle from the top down. I use either The Bone , a Microfiber Wash Pad or a sheepskin wash mitt.
6. Rinse often during washing. After washing a section (i.e. door, fender, hood, etc.) rinse completely to prevent soap films from drying on the finish.
Detailing Secret #2 - After washing the entire vehicle, do a final rinse with free-flowing water (nozzle off the hose). This sheets most of the water off the vehicle. Trust me on this. I know it takes a minute to take the nozzle off the hose and do this final rinse but it will allow you to dry your vehicle in a fraction of time you would normally require.

7. Dry the vehicle like you washed it, from the top down. I do the roof first, then all the windows, the hood and trunk and finish with the sides. I use a leaf blowner to speed the process and then a waffle weave drying towel to finish it off.

well said
Old 06-19-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
SirBrad
The Captain

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS SIM
Anyone have a particular favorite mit?

I am picking up the Zaino towels...is that best for drying?
SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr G View Post

+1 Listen to this man he knows what he is talking about. Welcome to the boards MR G good solid advice your offering to our members for detailing.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #12
camaroguy
MJ is finally home!

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS Camaro M6
Just use a good quality foam gun, forget the bucket and grit guard crap.
camaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:20 AM   #13
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroguy View Post
Just use a good quality foam gun, forget the bucket and grit guard crap.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:35 AM   #14
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
All you need are some cotton bath towels.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote