Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-08-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Leno and his C6RS

A must watch for any Vette/GM/Muscle Car nut...

http://http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=198579
Old 01-08-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
Ironic, I never watch the tonight show, but I'm watching it as I type now.

Man that Vette is slick.. Really can't wait for the ZR-1 though.

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:56 PM   #3
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
looks pretty clean. I'm loving the ZR-1 flares where the ducts are behind the door. Dunno if that's z06 as well but they're great. Able to run on E85 or Gas is great too.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:08 AM   #4
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
looks pretty clean. I'm loving the ZR-1 flares where the ducts are behind the door. Dunno if that's z06 as well but they're great. Able to run on E85 or Gas is great too.
she does straight ethanol too or any mixture...wonder how much that costs?
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:25 AM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
What I like is what he said about ethanol/gas percentages. I don't know EXACTLY how E85 works, but I would hope that's how it works...you filler up on E85 at your local station, drive for a week, need to fill up but can only use gas, fill up on E85 next week, at half a tank add straight gas, etc. Basically, you should be able to use gas/E85 whenever you want. And, if you are saving the environment, helping out our economy, and saving a couple dollars yourselves, even better.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:33 AM   #6
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
not necessarily saving money as you get less mpg with e85. If the price drops even more it might counteract the drop in mpg enough to save you money in the long run.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:36 AM   #7
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
He’s such a down to earth guy… I'd love to spend a day with him BS’n about cars…

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:17 AM   #8
Outrun

Drives: ...
I like Leno. I noticed he's got a few more cars in his garage.
Outrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:47 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
not necessarily saving money as you get less mpg with e85. If the price drops even more it might counteract the drop in mpg enough to save you money in the long run.
I think ethanol (not E85), is at 2.50 a gallon as it stands today. As production increases, and Cellulosic Ethanol takes off, it will lower even more.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:39 AM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Anyone else envious of the fact that he has a Corvette section in his garage?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:54 AM   #11
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
I keep hearing that we can't produce enough corn (or whatever else we can make Ethanol from) to support the demand enough to replace gas/foreign oil.

Any one else have info on this?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
I keep hearing that we can't produce enough corn (or whatever else we can make Ethanol from) to support the demand enough to replace gas/foreign oil.

Any one else have info on this?
Yeah, Corn is reaching it's limit. That's where Switchgrass starts coming into the picture. But ethanol will NEVER completely replace Gasoline/oil: It's impossible. But that's not it's goal. Ethanol is to be a part of our energy solution.

I think the initial numbers is that if we utilized the majority of available land in our country. We could produce enough ethanol to replace around 30% of our gasoine useage. That number can only go up, as planting, and land-use efficiency goes up. And that doesn't factor in change in our transportation efficiency.

Now, imagine lots of vehicles with the E-flex technology, or similar (i.e. potential for fuel-less travel). Then later on as the tech gets improved, and upgraded....well, you get the picture: We will need to use less fuel anyways. So that 30% grows to 40%, and 50%, and 60% - beacuse there's less fuel to displace. So Ethanol can become a very large portion of the solution. Along with Biodiesel, and Hydrogen, and God-knows whatelse they come up with.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
It may be possibly, but it would probably eat up all the remaining land that could be used for farming, and also drive the price of corn, or sugar, or any other food that is used for fuel. Thats why other sources of to make fuel, including cellulose and algae
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #14
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
OK. So, are we all cool with eventually getting away from the internal combustion engine? It sounds like most of us accept that cars will eventually be powered by something else, solar, batteries, hydrogen, air.

I accept that there is an argument this will be for the greater good. However, I want exhaust noise and clutch dust and supercharged small blocks that sounds like a cat getting sucked down the toilet. (I love cats btw). I know that I may not see it in my lifetime. But I'm not comfortable with the thought of the IC engines going away (regardless of the fuel they burn). Doesn't seem like a performance car without it. I've seen video of electric cars that absolutely FLY. So I admit it's not a performance issue. It's a seat of the pants (pucker factor) thing.

Anyone?

Edit:

One more thought on corn farming - Isn't there still a large portion of corn farmers getting Gov subsidies for not planting corn? if they removed the subsidy and started planting again would it make that much of a difference?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote