Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #29
4SD FED

Drives: 2010 rs/ss camaro
You guys are great, I will tear into it this week... Thanks
Old 06-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #30
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Area SS View Post
My shifter has a little play too. It just started yesterday. I'm going to re tighten everything this week. How is the noise on your guys shifter ? Mine is pretty loud when I accelerate hard. I don't mind it but just want to make sure its ok.
If you have to much noise see if they have the noise dentiner in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
I have minimal noise.
They added that kit in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenji View Post
That's definitely NOT right. From the video, it looks like the shifter is pivoting from the the point where the flat chrome upper stick connects to lower stick. This would indicate that the two connecting bolts have loosened (a common problem). I would suggest adding a drop of Loctite on each bolt and getting some decent torque on those bolts so this doesn't happen again.

If this doesn't fix the problem than there is a chance that the lower bushing may have been damaged (this is a rare problem that usually occurs during install). If this is the case then please call Hurst customer service at: (818)483 -1366 and ask for the bushings for Hurst p/n 3916030.

And please let us know if this solved your problem.

Thanks,
Kenji
Thank you for the help, By the way your car looks grate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
This forum and it's members are AWESOME!!!!
+1
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #31
IOM Black Diamond
HT5 COTW 1/21/13

Drives: 2010 Camaro Inferno 2SS RS 6M
Quote:
A video of mine i sent to a few friends with the Hurst

That is what mine does also. Very sloppy.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #32
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
That's definitely NOT right. From the video, it looks like the shifter is pivoting from the the point where the flat chrome upper stick connects to lower stick. This would indicate that the two connecting bolts have loosened (a common problem). I would suggest adding a drop of Loctite on each bolt and getting some decent torque on those bolts so this doesn't happen again.

If this doesn't fix the problem than there is a chance that the lower bushing may have been damaged (this is a rare problem that usually occurs during install). If this is the case then please call Hurst customer service at: (818)483 -1366 and ask for the bushings for Hurst p/n 3916030.

Thanks,
Kenji
Kenji...

Thanks for the insite but as I have told everyone... the bolts are tight. I installed it myself and it has done it since day one, about 18 months and 18,000 miles ago. As do others that I have seen that I didn't install. Maybe we all damaged our bushings??? If its rare, why are so many loose? Seems some have more play than others but ALL have play (that I have seen) Like I said, it drives fine, just has some play.

If I didnt love the look of the chrome shaft and black ball, I'd take it out and put something else in. All the other companies pale in comparison when it comes to that old school look and feel in your hand BUT the car with the MGW I drove... WOW!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #33
edgar3

Drives: 2010 2SS
glad this thread came up...was at a car show and saw a few of the Hurst's installed and they looked great....I added it to my list...good thing the lists in pencil

XSPower Longtube + Catback "Engine to Tip" polished steel
VMAX ported Throttle Body
160 degree thermostat
Street Tune East Coast Supercharging
Cold Air Inductions
TRex Phantom Black Billet Grill. Upper and lower
Custom Badging
Lloyd Floors mats
splash guards
Underhood Engine bay done
AAC LED mailslot strip lights
Flowing Cheese Fondue waterfall in console
Various food items to dip into warm cheese
edgar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #34
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgar3 View Post
glad this thread came up...was at a car show and saw a few of the Hurst's installed and they looked great....I added it to my list...good thing the lists in pencil
Its a great product (other than a little play). I have no intentions on taking it out. Just saying if I did, I would put something else in...

I have never missed a shift, it feels great, it looks great, hell... I didnt even notice the play. The tuner was dynoing my car and he mentioned it...
Old 06-06-2011, 12:00 AM   #35
Kenji

Drives: 2SS/RS M6 SW
Quote:
Kenji...

Thanks for the insite but as I have told everyone... the bolts are tight. I installed it myself and it has done it since day one, about 18 months and 18,000 miles ago. As do others that I have seen that I didn't install. Maybe we all damaged our bushings??? If its rare, why are so many loose? Seems some have more play than others but ALL have play (that I have seen) Like I said, it drives fine, just has some play.

If I didnt love the look of the chrome shaft and black ball, I'd take it out and put something else in. All the other companies pale in comparison when it comes to that old school look and feel in your hand BUT the car with the MGW I drove... WOW!
If it's done it since day one, then it's definitely the bushings. During install, the bushings need to line-up with the hole in the change rod in order for the cross pin to be installed. Sometimes it is difficult to line these parts up (because you really can't see up in there) and if the cross pin is forced through the Teflon bushings it will shear the bushings, oval the hole out, and cause play. I've made this mistake myself a few times when I was testing and ended up having to use new bushings. Now, I'm extra careful and try to use a cone shaped punch to line things up before sliding (not forcing) the cross pin through. If you suspect this may have happened, please contact customer service so they can send you out new bushings.

The other possibility is that your cross pin may be on the smaller side of the tolerance. All the bushings that we send out with our shifters must accept a "high-side" (largest acceptable production tolerance) cross pin that we received from GM as our gauge pin. This would produce the worst case scenario a create extra play.

Finally, there is an inherant amount of play inside the transmission and in the change rod out of the transmission and onto the shifter. This cannot be corrected by the shifter alone and also varies from vehicle to vehicle.

But the first thing to always check are the cross bolts as previously mentioned. Even if you tightened the hell out of them during install, over time there always is a possibilty for them to vibrate loose. As stated before, this is quite common (I even saw it on our V6 turbo Camaro) and it's the easiest to check.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:43 AM   #36
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Kenji... Totally possible in the cross bar. THANKS! I remember that being a pain in the butt!!!

I'll look into replacing it.

Thanks again!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #37
Bay Area SS

Drives: 2010 rs/2ss
I wish you guys could hear the noise from the shifter...Its almost a hissing grinding noise when I accelerate hard. It shifts smooth with no problems though. I just want to make sure there is nothing wrong. Not tryn to thread jack...Hope u guys dont mind. Lotta good info here I love it!
Bay Area SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #38
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

I will say mine is virtually noise free.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #39
full of days

Drives: Camaro GT
My bolts are tight as well. I'm ordering replacement bushings today. Mine is just as bad as the everyone elses. Kenji, who makes the lower bushing for you? could it be improved to avoid damage during install?

Post Tenebras Lux

Last edited by full of days; 06-06-2011 at 09:53 AM.
full of days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #40
full of days

Drives: Camaro GT
Quote:

Thanks,
Kenji
Kenji,

Can you post a video or an install aid for avoiding lower bushing damage? (i.e. how to line up the pin with a punch, etc) I have a feeling that there's quite a few shifters out there with damaged bushings from install.

Post Tenebras Lux

full of days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #41
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by full of days View Post
Kenji,

Can you post a video or an install aid for avoiding lower bushing damage? (i.e. how to line up the pin with a punch, etc) I have a feeling that there's quite a few shifters out there with damaged bushings from install.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #42
Kenji

Drives: 2SS/RS M6 SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Area SS View Post
I wish you guys could hear the noise from the shifter...Its almost a hissing grinding noise when I accelerate hard. It shifts smooth with no problems though. I just want to make sure there is nothing wrong. Not tryn to thread jack...Hope u guys dont mind. Lotta good info here I love it!
The transmission/clutch assembly noise varies quite a bit from car to car. While working with GM, we called them BOB (best-of-the-best) and WOW (worst-of-the-worst) cars. They only had one WOW car that was difficult to schedule time with.

My personal Camaro was definitely a WOW car. I could hear the noise that you are describing even with the stock shifter. However, with the NVH kit (that now comes with the shifters) it completely went away (even I was surprised).