Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Jbow89

Drives: 2012 LS
I have to protect me and my car

So after driving for 8 years and no tickets or points nothing I have to protect myself. I just passed 4 months of having my car and 5 people have almost killed me. Road rage for no reason at all. Driving along minding my own business abiding all laws and people won't stop messing with me. I just purchased a dash cam and I have a question about wiring it. I'm going to hardwire it into the fuse box which I can do easily but my question is how can I use the cigarette plug? Can I cut it off at the end and split the wires? I've searched all over and cannot seem to find an answer. Thanks guys. Being 24 and having a red camaro I just know I will somehow get the bad end of the deal and want to protect myself
Jbow89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
Sorry to hear this. I've experienced the same thing. Minding my own business and people want to mess with you. I just don't get it. As far as the cigarette plug you might be able to tap into those wires.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
jvoisel

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Be careful cutting off the end and splicing the wires, make sure that the camera is rated for 12v. A lot of car accessories are 5v or so and the plug that goes into the cigarette lighter converters it down. I fried a $220 GPS putting 12v to it. After learning the hard way, I bought a aux cigarette lighter setup and plugged the GPS in to that, then ran the it behind the dash all connected to a 12v ign source.
jvoisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
Cigarette Lighter works off the ignition, so that would be a good place for the hookup, When you cut the wires, be sure to get the + and - correct. You can always buy a cheep Voltmeter ( less than $10) Walmart or AutoStore, and verify what wire is + and what wire is -. Also, if the camara is less than 12V, you can buy a unit from Walmart that plugs into the cigarette lighter and you select the volt. you want with the switch on the unit, 12v, 6v, 5v, 3v etc. I ran my camara to the 12v unit in the center console.
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
Jbow89

Drives: 2012 LS
Good ideas guys JV you may be onto something. I may just buy an extender and tap into the wires for the cig outlet and plug the camera into that under the dash. It seems like it could work better than potentially frying the new unit
Jbow89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:02 AM   #6
Yaj1000

Drives: Potential camaro owner
im looking into getting a ls300w dvr car camcorder. i primarily drive in TX and geez, out here, if you travel the speed limit ..... thats considered "too slow". video evidence of idiot drivers help with evidence when you need it most.
Yaj1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Five people have tried to kill you in 4 months! I've had my car since 2009 and no one has tried to kill me. How do you know it's not you that's bringing on the anger of others? One or two times it could be "them", but more than that "you" are the problem.

Just my opinion.

Rus
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
Happens to me too periodically - mostly at night. It's the reason I have a dash cam. Part of my daily driver insurance. Mostly using their vehicle to run me off the highway. Video below doesn't look like much, but the car is just inches from my bumper.

Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
I have had my car since march of 2010 and have not had one road rage issue, there are slow people in the fast lane though and that kind of pisses me off...LOL. guessing people that live in more condensed area with more traffic you might have a better chance of having road rage experiences! IDK just a guess

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCompiler View Post
Happens to me too periodically - mostly at night. It's the reason I have a dash cam. Part of my daily driver insurance. Mostly using their vehicle to run me off the highway. Video below doesn't look like much, but the car is just inches from my bumper.

lol, that's not inches. probably 2 car lengths. and why are you cruising in the left hand lane?
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
Strzelec

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Do you think that you driving in the fast lane with no consideration for people that may want to pass you had anything to do with it? I think you can blame yourself on this one.
Strzelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #12
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strzelec View Post
Do you think that you driving in the fast lane with no consideration for people that may want to pass you had anything to do with it?

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
stray bullitt

Drives: Bentley Continental GT.
Nice to see evidence of you doing 81mph. Naughty naughty man.
stray bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #14
TStko
TKO

Drives: you crazy...
Don't wanna step on your toes but what I see is a car that was coming up from behind fast and upset you were going much slower in the passing lane despite them speeding. Never had any moving violations ever at 38yrs of age, just rules of the road - - let em kill themselves and not you, pass and get in the right lane.

cars are like women, some are old, some are new, some get turned on easily some need a lot more help, some you just wanna drive into the river, some you can't wait to get inside of, some are expensive to maintain, some are low maintenance, however if you treat them right, you'll have her for the rest of your life.....
TStko is offline   Reply With Quote