Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 09-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
thegreattailz

Drives: convertible
Has anyone figured ot how to bypass the moving car video restriction?

Its annoying, I know its a safety concern but its more for my passengers rather than for me. I dont wanna watch movies when I drive but I want my guests to watch music videos/lyrics etc when i play a video
thegreattailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
yes i would like to play Destiny as my husband drives us to Vegas, too.

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but most of the video safety restriction works by grounding the respective wire labeled accordingly on your head unit (it normally shows a diagram of it going to your emergency brake) - however, the grounding has to occur AFTER the car is running/stereo is on. IOW, you can't just ground the wire all the time. There are a lot of good posts here on how to wire up a delayed relay switch by using the remote amp wire which will cause the wire to ground automatically for you.

I went the cheap route and notched a small, Autozone rocker switch under the stereo housing after installing my aftermarket unit, and if I need to play a video, I just reach under there and flip it back and forth once, and the stero thinks I pulled up the emergency brake and enables video playback while moving.

Plus, it is a cool conversation piece when passengers think you "hot-wired" your radio (versus it working transparently and non the wiser).
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
thegreattailz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCompiler View Post
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but most of the video safety restriction works by grounding the respective wire labeled accordingly on your head unit (it normally shows a diagram of it going to your emergency brake) - however, the grounding has to occur AFTER the car is running/stereo is on. IOW, you can't just ground the wire all the time. There are a lot of good posts here on how to wire up a delayed relay switch by using the remote amp wire which will cause the wire to ground automatically for you.

I went the cheap route and notched a small, Autozone rocker switch under the stereo housing after installing my aftermarket unit, and if I need to play a video, I just reach under there and flip it back and forth once, and the stero thinks I pulled up the emergency brake and enables video playback while moving.

Plus, it is a cool conversation piece when passengers think you "hot-wired" your radio (versus it working transparently and non the wiser).
Can you please elaborate? So a ground wire comes off the head unit? And the switch activates the grounding after the car is on? So in other words you gotta disconnect the ground from the emergency brake
Old 09-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #5
anthony.

Drives: summit white 2lt RS
Wait.. you can watch videos on our cars? How? I have mylink and can't figure videos out being there's no cd drive.. unless they changed it for 2014? Or you have an aftermarket headunit?
anthony. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #6
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
i dont understand any of this. are we talking of playing videos on the MYLINK screen? i was told it doesnt have the capacity to do this.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #7
thegreattailz

I think if you have a usb with a video file it will play it. But the car has to be in park
Old 09-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #8
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Talking

subscribed....
Old 09-11-2014, 03:44 AM   #9
SeaCompiler

Your aftermarket head unit should have a wire labeled to go to the emergency brake. It does NOT need power, but just needs grounding. Grounding this wire (mine was green) after the unit is on will enable video playback. You need to refer to the wiring diagram with your head unit to know which wire for sure this is. The toggle switch I installed, simply grounds the wire when I toggle the switch on after the car is running. I never use video except when family is in the car with me, so I don't mind this manual step. I don't know about mylink, I don't think these units play video. Once u know which wire it is, u can test this theory with the head unit pulled out a little and simply expose the wire and hold it to a grounded spot somewhere close like a nut or piece of metal, could even be the head unit case.
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
Old 09-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #10
thegreattailz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCompiler View Post
Your aftermarket head unit should have a wire labeled to go to the emergency brake. It does NOT need power, but just needs grounding. Grounding this wire (mine was green) after the unit is on will enable video playback. You need to refer to the wiring diagram with your head unit to know which wire for sure this is. The toggle switch I installed, simply grounds the wire when I toggle the switch on after the car is running. I never use video except when family is in the car with me, so I don't mind this manual step. I don't know about mylink, I don't think these units play video. Once u know which wire it is, u can test this theory with the head unit pulled out a little and simply expose the wire and hold it to a grounded spot somewhere close like a nut or piece of metal, could even be the head unit case.
I dont have an aftermarket head unit
Old 09-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
SeaCompiler

Ok. I didn't pick up on using your factory MyLink. I won't be able to help you - sorry.