Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-31-2015, 10:26 PM   #15
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
takes 5 min on a lift and cost $12 for fluid.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #16
jdrop01

Drives: 05 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
A couple things. Getting under the car (I'm a pretty big guy). The correct tool to remove the fill and drain plugs, the pump to refill it, and the fact that my Camaro is my only car and if something goes wrong I'm in the lurch. I'm also an apartment dweller, and not sure if I'll get 'in trouble' for doing maintenance.

That being said, I really want it done after seeing the metal shavings stuck to the magnets in the plugs (in the video). My problem is I have a lack of experience. I can follow a cookbook, but if something is different I might not know what to do. I'm afraid of biting off more than I can chew.
Think you're scaring yourself out of doing a simple job. It's as simple as changing engine oil. All you need is a 3/8 drive ratchet and like someone mentioned always take off the fill port first just in case you can't then remove the drain plug. Let it drain for idk about 15 mins while you drink a beer or two. Plug the drain hole and then use that pump from autozone insert it into the fill hole and pump until fluid comes out the fill hole and done.
jdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:29 PM   #17
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASimmons04 View Post
Because dealerships are always expensive...

Correction don't you mean stealerships ? they are ridiculous .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2015, 07:20 PM   #18
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Wow- I need to raise my prices. Last dude that added that to his oil change appointment only paid $80 for the oil change AND diff fluid change.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #19
Msingh
Account Suspended

Drives: 12 Black Camaro LS M6
well i got the oils done. even though the dealership said i dont need one.. they wouldnt cover the free oil change till the car had 4k miles. so i ended up paying 190 for mobile 1 oil change and diffrential fluid. they did say 150 over the phone but when i got there he said about 70 bucks. still damm expensive to pay 190 for that and oil change. did it for peace of mind becasue the guy was like u dont need an oil change at 1500. but i did it anyways. def going back to get my free one at 4k and just pay the extra for mobile 1. get my moneys worth from them... once there free oil changes are over will just go to a local place whos going to charge half the price... such a rip off theese dealers.
Msingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:29 PM   #20
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418937

Check this procedure out. You need to do figure 8's.
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:57 PM   #21
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
The pumps did not work well for me.......can you say Turkey Baster, cheap ones from Wally World worked like a charm. Do not use wife's stainless steel one in drawer.....ask me how I know!
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:36 PM   #22
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
I didn't even use the pump. Put it on ramps an a 3/8" racket and your good to go.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:53 PM   #23
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
It's really easy to do it yourself. It takes about 15 minutes. I didn't even put the car up on ramps. There are several DIY threads on it. Get a quart of your favorite synthetic gear lube (I can't remember the weight, it's in the owner's manual), swing by the dealer and get a bottle of additive, pick up a plastic pump at autozone, get a drain pan and a ratchet and you're all set.

Dealers rip everyone off. Changing the diff fluid is easier than changing the oil.
Wow! You can do all that in 15 minutes, amazing. Some of you guys bitching about maintenance pricing crack me up. How much is your time worth? Mine is very valuable. Drive to the dealer for additive, drive to auto parts store to purchase oil, find a plastic pump somewhere. Must own a floor jack, ramps, tools and have some mechanical knowledge and then dispose of used oil. In my world this is worth about $500.00+ I would like to see how some of you guys with aftermarket exhaust would get the differential drain plug out.

Dealerships are not there to rip you off, they are in business to make money. No one forced you to go there for your service work. Why not look for an independent shop that you trust?
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:25 AM   #24
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX Camaro View Post
Wow! You can do all that in 15 minutes, amazing. Some of you guys bitching about maintenance pricing crack me up. How much is your time worth? Mine is very valuable. Drive to the dealer for additive, drive to auto parts store to purchase oil, find a plastic pump somewhere. Must own a floor jack, ramps, tools and have some mechanical knowledge and then dispose of used oil. In my world this is worth about $500.00+ I would like to see how some of you guys with aftermarket exhaust would get the differential drain plug out.

Dealerships are not there to rip you off, they are in business to make money. No one forced you to go there for your service work. Why not look for an independent shop that you trust?
Yes, I can change the differential fluid in 15 minutes. Anyone with a modicum of mechanical ability can do the same. You remove and install two bolts. Two. Any dealer that charges $150 for this service is ripping people off. Some of us actually enjoy working on our cars.. hopefully, you do too. If that upsets you, well... get over it.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #25
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
It's under $100 at any dealer I know of. Everyone here says 15 minutes, but at a shop it actually takes longer to use a lift etc. It takes me 15 minutes at home to set my ramps, get the tools together etc. Whatever. Some people would rather spend time doing something else.
$150 is crazy though- but no reflective of what I'm seeing on the market. The indie shops around here charge more than the dealer, but get crap parts from NAPA and Autozone.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:13 PM   #26
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
Took me about half an hour to do the diff and the tranny. I used the OEM fluids. Cost about $60 Cdn. It was nearly as easy as doing an oil change. The pump makes it a bit harder and messier.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote