Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
Infantryman11C
High Angle Hell

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Exhaust upgrade

ok guys need your help. I'm looking to upgrade my exhaust and I'm stuck on which system to go with. I have three in mind. 1) go with the NPP exhaust 2) go with borla ATAK cat back or 3) SW sideburner exhaust. I like the sound of the NPP and the Borla but I also like the idea of the sideburner. The only thing about the sideburner is that it is not its own exhaust system it adds on to your existing system. Let me know what you guys think.

Brothers don't always have the same mother
Always remembered, Never forgotten
Infantryman11C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
lownslowss
PaPa Smurf

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Skip the cat back and get LT's and high flows.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
I guess it depends on your future goals. If you AT ALL plan on getting LT headers, then skip the cat back for now, as stated above.

The NPP is not really that attractive of an option if not installed with factory functionality, so at this point I would skip that option too. As far as Borla goes, I dont think their systems are worth the money as there are better sounding systems that do a FAR better job of cutting down drone than Borla does.

If you have your heart set on a cat-back then the only one I will suggest is the SW Retro Chambered Cat Back. Good luck!
Old 08-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
IMO - NPP is fine without factory controller on a Camaro. I have done it before and would again. A lot of owners pull the fuse on the controller anyway.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
If you are going to spend money on an exhaust system, I would make sure that it would lead to a significant improvement in performance, not one that just sounded better or is just louder than stock (even if it meant a tune). If there was not a significant performance gain, I might hold onto my money....just my $.02.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
If you're going for sound, stainless works retro chambered is amazing. If you're looking for performance, get LT's and high flow cats. If you're looking for both, do all of the above with time management and priority in mind.
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I would recommend the Borla system

I carry their products and their good.
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
With fuse out, NPP is essentially a straight pipe.

Luv it
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #9
Melkor

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS w/1le Package
I've been super happy with the Borla S-Type for a few reasons. Sound is good without much high RPM drone, it's much lighter than the stock system, and the HP gain is pretty good.

On the down side, the tips poke out a bit further than I'd like and because of the way the rear bumper is shaped, it creates an optical illusion that the tips are pointing down, but they're not.

Plus, you can get the s-type on amazon for a very reasonable rate
Old 08-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #10
gajagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkor View Post
I've been super happy with the Borla S-Type for a few reasons. Sound is good without much high RPM drone, it's much lighter than the stock system, and the HP gain is pretty good.

On the down side, the tips poke out a bit further than I'd like and because of the way the rear bumper is shaped, it creates an optical illusion that the tips are pointing down, but they're not.

Plus, you can get the s-type on amazon for a very reasonable rate
What HP gain did you see, and did it require a tune?
Old 08-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #11
USMUCL

Drives: 2014 Red Camaro 1SS 1LE
I came from the Mustang world and had multiple exhausts on multiple ponies.

None sounded or looked better than the NPP does on these cars with the fuse pulled, IMO. I can't imagine paying for anything different.

The dual tips look great, the exhaust has zero drone, it has a low bass rumble with no rasp, and it is the perfect volume at all RPMs (gets attention while not being too loud).

Since it is best with the fuse pulled anyway, you don't have to worry about whether it came factory. And, I couldn't care less about the weight.

And anyone who claims HP gain with just a catback is full of the proverbial feces.

Just my $.02
USMUCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #12
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMUCL View Post

None sounded or looked better than the NPP does on these cars with the fuse pulled, IMO. I can't imagine paying for anything different.

The dual tips look great, the exhaust has zero drone, it has a low bass rumble with no rasp, and it is the perfect volume at all RPMs (gets attention while not being too loud).

Since it is best with the fuse pulled anyway, you don't have to worry about whether it came factory. And, I couldn't care less about the weight.

And anyone who claims HP gain with just a catback is full of the proverbial feces.

Just my $.02

+1 on everything above!!
Old 08-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #13
gajagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMUCL View Post

Just my $.02
We wanted a quieter car, so no NPP for us, but amen to your last line.....whole lots of feces going on!
Old 08-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #14
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
What kind of sound are you looking for? As others have said, set of headers will really wake up the stock exhaust, so that may be the ticket where you can get the sound you are looking for AND performance. If you will not be doing headers for a while, keep in mind when choosing your exhaust system that the sound will increase by a lot when headers are introduced, and some regret their exhaust decision.

That being said, I am a BIG fan of the Stainless works Retro Chambered cat-back.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote