Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
mikeyroche

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro 1SS/RS M6
SLP vs BORLA axle back

Trying to decide which exhaust to get, and I can't decide. I want a loud deep throaty muscle car sound. So far I've been looking at SLP Loudmouth II and Borla Atak.... any suggestions?

2011 Camaro 1SS with RS - K&N Typhoon CAI, Borla Atak Exhaust, Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads, SLP 'SS' Front Grille Emblem, Blue LED interior lighting, Camaro Victory Red Seatbelt Harness pads NEXT - Corvette LS3 Victory Red Fuel Rail Covers(Awaiting Installation), Window Tinting, Custom Leather Interior.
mikeyroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyroche View Post
Trying to decide which exhaust to get, and I can't decide. I want a loud deep throaty muscle car sound. So far I've been looking at SLP Loudmouth II and Borla Atak.... any suggestions?
Hey Mike,

I had SLP Loudmouth II axleback, put on my Camaro, after the first year, and they sounded a LOT BETTER than those factory "jerry cans".
The Borla Atak sounds pretty good too, based on the videos.

However, I wanted more, and thats why this year I went with long tube headers & cold air intake (added to my SLP), and it now sounds awesome, just like the muscle cars of the '70's.

It all comes down to personal preference, good luck with your decision, and no matter what I think you'll be happy.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyroche View Post
If you want a deep throaty muscle car sound I would suggest the Stainless Works Retro Chambered cat back. Here is a video we shot a couple of weeks ago.

For comparison, here is another video we shot of the Borla ATAK.

Having witnessed both of these systems being driven in the same place in the same way for the videos, the Retro Chambered definitely had a much deeper tone and was a little louder than the ATAK.

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 08-13-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
MattMan

Drives: Cyber Gray 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Those are the two I'm between as well, lol

It's not an easy decision either - I'm back and forth between the two and I also throw in the JBA Competition cat-back every so often as well.
MattMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2016 SS
+1 for Atak
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
Needs Exhaust!

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2008 XLR-V
Make sure you know that the ATAK catback will sound different, more refined than the axleback and will be a PITA with a L99.
Needs Exhaust! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
SLP LM II sounds nice on a car with stock exhaust manifolds and cats.. After I had long tubes and hi-flos put on, I started getting way too much drone. I was going tone def for a day or two after our 6-8hr road trips.

I took it off and replaced it with the Borla Touring and couldn't be happier. It's quieter, but still has a nice sound when you get on it.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needs Exhaust! View Post
Make sure you know that the ATAK catback will sound different, more refined than the axleback and will be a PITA with a L99.
What do you mean by refined? I honestly have not heard the axel back, but I would be more in favor of the cat back due to the x pipe to take away the resonators.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
rjdapilmoto
DAP-ONE [COTW - 12/23/13]

Drives: 2010 - 2SS/RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LED KING View Post
What do you mean by refined? I honestly have not heard the axel back, but I would be more in favor of the cat back due to the x pipe to take away the resonators.
Same here....not sure what he means by refined and PITA???
I love my ATAK and don't think its PITA at all...
rjdapilmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

What is this PITA you speak of?
Old 08-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #11
Needs Exhaust!

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2008 XLR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by LED KING View Post
What is this PITA you speak of?
I just mean catbacks in general with an L99 because the resonators go bye bye and AFM goes HELLO! Also, the catback will sound different than the axleback, less "screaming" and "wild" with the addition of x-pipes and removal of the resonators (more flow) which in my opinion gives it that little bit of tone that perfects the system. Both systems sound amazing, but the catback is just pure sex if you don't see headers in your future.

I ordered the ATAK axleback so surely the system is no PITA or POS .

Oh, and PITA means pain in the ass...
Needs Exhaust! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #12
Williasd

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
I LOVE MY ATAK Catback!!!! I wake up the neighbors now. It has an awesome sound and it turns heads quickly.
Williasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #13
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needs Exhaust! View Post
I just mean catbacks in general with an L99 because the resonators go bye bye and AFM goes HELLO! Also, the catback will sound different than the axleback, less "screaming" and "wild" with the addition of x-pipes and removal of the resonators (more flow) which in my opinion gives it that little bit of tone that perfects the system. Both systems sound amazing, but the catback is just pure sex if you don't see headers in your future.

I ordered the ATAK axleback so surely the system is no PITA or POS .

Oh, and PITA means pain in the ass...
Ah now I see! I am a big believe in the cat back system. I have a axel back system on my V6 and I wish I went for a cat back. I will know what to do when I hopefully get my SS.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #14
MattMan

Drives: Cyber Gray 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Would you need a tune after installing the ATAK? Or the SLP LMII?
MattMan is offline   Reply With Quote