Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
jklipan

Drives: Druid 2SS/RS LS3 Summit White
LS3 Differential Issues

All:

Just wanted to see if anyone has experienced any problems with their differential in the LS3.

A few weeks after I brought the car home (Nov 2009), I experienced a very loud and hard bang in the differential while attempting to back out of the garage. I let this go thinking that this was just the gearing/traction control settling in. Unfortunately this is not the case. After almost a full year, the condition persists. This not simply some slight "clank" in the gearbox. This can be felt through the subframe system right into the back of your seat.

About 3 weeks ago, this progressed to the differential going into a complete bind-up. To explain, I back the car out of the garage using only idle power. On this occaision, the car would not move at all. This made me get out, while the engine was still running, and check to see that there was nothing blocking the back tires. I literally got the sensation that the back tires were chocked. I got back in the car and moved it forward in 1st just to see what would happen. The resounding bang that I had experienced before happend again. (It is as if the pinon gear is out of alignment or something). I wonder if this has something to do with the traction control system. It usually happens after the car has been static for awhile (I only drive it on the weekends).

I decided to take it to the dealer (Fitzgerald's in Frederick, MD). I explained what the problem was and that I would not bring the car in for some minor symptom. This is for sure, no fooling, something not right. After leaving the car over the weekend they told me to come and get it and that nothing further was to be done with it as they could not reproduce the condition. I asked if they had even drained the differential fluid to check to see if there were any metal shavings or debris that would indicate a problem. The reply was that there were no factory notifications that would warrant further investigation.

So I asked for clarification as to the dealer's approach to the issue. I expressed that what I was getting was that we (the dealer) will let the condition sit until it worsens, or the "rear-end craters", and then if something does happen, I am covered because I brought the car in noting the complaint. This makes absolutely no sense to me.

Has anyone had this experience with the manual transmission?

Thanks,

Jeff
jklipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
KMSRS2SS
I lurk

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Do you use your e-brake when parked? I ask because when I first got the car I had that same type of noise occur when backing up. Once I stopped using the e-brake for parking the car I've never experienced it again.
KMSRS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
jklipan

So your saying that this is the braking system that is causing this?? Man that is wierd? What about the system is making this popping sound. That would explain the inability to back the car up at idle speed. This means that the braking system isn't releasing when you disengage it.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Are your rotors wet before you park it? If they are, the brake pads will rust to the rotors and make quite a pop when they free up.

A differential problem generally appears when already rolling and making a turn.

When I picked up my car brand new, the dealer washed it in a bay and let it sit there over night. When I went to back it out after we did all the new car get to know you stuff, it was locked up solid. Thought I was going to smoke the clutch trying to get it to move. But it popped free with quite a bang, and I was off. Since seeing that happen, I always drive it after washing to clean/dry the rotors off.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
jklipan

Russell:

Didn't think about this but I always wash it before I put it away for the week. If this is the case then this does make sense. I do drive it after I wash it to spin the water off the wheels, but I guess that some moisture remains on the rotors even though. Everytime this happens, it scares the $#!% out of me. It sounds like the rearend is coming unglued!
Old 09-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Sounds like that is all it is. It has been very common with the SS as the Brembo brakes must be pretty high metallic content. Having the car stuck like that and then the bang is pretty alarming, but it's just the pads popping loose from being stuck.

You could try taking a second short drive after the car has completely dried. Wash, dry, short drive, park it for a couple hours or the next day, then another short drive. That should leave the rotors clean and dry.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
jklipan

Thanks Russell:

As always, you are a fountain of information. You are a great information resource to this site.

Thanks man!!

Jeff
Old 09-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
ssummit camaro

Drives: 2013 1LE on order TPW 12/31
had this happen on a cold feezing night
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Are your rotors wet before you park it? If they are, the brake pads will rust to the rotors and make quite a pop when they free up.

A differential problem generally appears when already rolling and making a turn.

When I picked up my car brand new, the dealer washed it in a bay and let it sit there over night. When I went to back it out after we did all the new car get to know you stuff, it was locked up solid. Thought I was going to smoke the clutch trying to get it to move. But it popped free with quite a bang, and I was off. Since seeing that happen, I always drive it after washing to clean/dry the rotors off.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
jklipan

I'm from West Texas so I know how cold the desert can be. Dry though.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jklipan View Post
I'm from West Texas so I know how cold the desert can be. Dry though.
next time try parking it without the brake, either just leave it in gear or chock the wheels.
justa25thTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #11
jklipan

Yep, I will be driving the car on Friday and it will have been sitting for a week after washing it. I did use the brake out of habit so it will be interesting to see if the pads have bound up with the rotors. I will let everyone know what I find out. Will start parking w/o the brake.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
I would pursue your problem further. I destroyed the clutches in the rear of my m6. I am in the process of having a nine inch installed which is supposedly "bullet-proof". If you get no satisfaction at the dealer level, go to the next level and call GM. Do not give up.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #13
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
You have another problem my friend!!! I don't know what it is but it is NOT wet brake pads!!! I drive mine just like you and almost always park it after a wash and have never had that problem.
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #14
jklipan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
I would pursue your problem further. I destroyed the clutches in the rear of my m6. I am in the process of having a nine inch installed which is supposedly "bullet-proof". If you get no satisfaction at the dealer level, go to the next level and call GM. Do not give up.
Flyby:

Can you elaborate. How exactly did you destroy the clutches?