Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 10-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #463
Edge.128

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Ya some solid numbers would be nice to know. keep up the good work everyone on getting this thing to work!!

Edge.128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #464
Z Madness

Drives: 2010, 2000, 1971 Camaros
Quick update, for those still interested. Trifecta was finally able to find the correct tables to adjust to read the higher airflow. He was also able to adjust/increase the fuel injector pressure to give more fuel. I was finally able to run the 7-8 psi without leaning out but there was some hesitation at the top end (around 6000) rpms. However, due to the much higher psi, I had excessive oil coming out of the pcv vent. The oil return is in the oil fill line at the front of the valve cover and the pcv vent is at the rear of the same cover. The result is oil venting out. The issue is clearly the higher boost. All this still leads me to believe that companies like Lingenfelter who actually had a running test vehicle was having problems with higher boost which they probably felt wasn't worth all the effort.

Again, at the base 5 psi boost, the car runs absolutely fine with no side issues. It's trying to get more boost that is creating the issues. The good news is that if this works, the price is still the same, you can just crank up more horsepower.

Another side note, STS does have a working twin turbo car out there owned by DSO Eyewear. It's supposedly the company car that they take to show events. However, there was no gain to be had to justify the higher price of a twin so they decided to sell a single.

So, I have the car at my friends shop and they are trying to determine if we can tap the oil pan for the oil return to prevent oil blow by and will help get the oil to the pan quickly which as those of you that boost high know that can be an issue. Also regapped the plugs down to 30. According to Trifecta, the car went from about 135% volumetric efficiency to about 165% on the high boost. That's a nice jump!
Z Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #465
unrestrictedmotorsports

Drives: 2011 Comp 6 Turbo
Z we were trying to do the same thing with the oil return line and was hoping to find a spot on the bottom that would work and we came up with nothing that would work properly. I know the LSX engine have a extra tap on the oil pan that can be used and we were hoping that the V6 had the same without having to tap into the pan. Hope your guys find something that we didnt see. We were concerned about the oil on the one valve side too.
unrestrictedmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #466
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Z -- Great news (except for the oil issue)! Have you dynoed it yet? It all sounds greate and I sure appreciate the work you and Vince have done to figure this all out.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:49 PM   #467
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Man, its always somethin isnt it?

But at that 7 to 8 psi, you've got to be hitting or exceeding 400 at the rear wheels.....
Old 10-17-2010, 02:27 AM   #468
Z Madness

Yeah, won't dyno till I get the oil issue worked out. I was looking for a diagram that shows the inside of the oil pan to get some ideas but if Unresticted says no good place to tap I'll trust him. Will start looking for someplace else.

Will be taking the car to first autocross next Sunday since my normal autox camaro is in the shop waiting for a new tranny. Will get to work on the oil issue right after.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:50 AM   #469
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Madness View Post
Yeah, won't dyno till I get the oil issue worked out. I was looking for a diagram that shows the inside of the oil pan to get some ideas but if Unresticted says no good place to tap I'll trust him. Will start looking for someplace else.

Will be taking the car to first autocross next Sunday since my normal autox camaro is in the shop waiting for a new tranny. Will get to work on the oil issue right after.
Speaking of autox... we haven't heard from Jim since before the MTI Fun Fest...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #470
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Speaking of autox... we haven't heard from Jim since before the MTI Fun Fest...
Yes some info would be nice. Anything. I know these fellas are busy and don't owe us anything. Z has been great at passing along info and I know if he had a track available we'd have some times by now. It's a little time consuming to photograph the time slips, photobucket them and then embed them here so at this point just a "hey. I ran a _____ E.T." with details to follow would be awesome.

FTR I said I was going to go run my stocker this weekend but never made it. My son was sick, my wife said she didn't care if I went but I could tell she wasn't too hip on the idea. I had been gone half the day (Sat) doing a charity golf tournament. Didn't seem right going off and being gone til 3am too. Those of you who are married know that whole drill. LOL Happy wife, happy life.

Oh well I've been 2x with my stocker this year and I know my car runs in the 14's Big surprise there. It just would have been nice to see if I could gotten into the low 14's or possible high 13's on a "planets-alligned-victory" run in cooler temps. At least I have a baseline.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #471
MustangConvert

Drives: ABM 1LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
Happy wife, happy life.
Now there is a quote to live by.

Quote:
According to Trifecta, the car went from about 135% volumetric efficiency to about 165% on the high boost.
Sorry if this is a newbie question, but does that mean your getting more power per psi?
Old 10-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #472
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

Drives: Mikes Hard Lemons
Turbos have a compressor map for the pressure ratio and flow rates etc. There are different islands for the different operating ranges. The higher boost probably moved the operatig points to a region of higher efficiency on the map. I dont know a whole lot about this. We just covered it in an engineering course. Garretts website has 3 really good tutorials if your interested in the calculations/process of sizing a turbo.
CAMAR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #473
Z Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangConvert View Post
Now there is a quote to live by.

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but does that mean your getting more power per psi?
Not really more hp per psi but the more psi resulted in more hp. The estimate should be well into 400 territory. This is what I was shooting for from the system.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #474
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

Nice!
Old 10-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #475
unrestrictedmotorsports

Drives: 2011 Comp 6 Turbo
Quote:

Dont get me wrong you might be able to do it but with what we were trying to do and not drill a hole into the oil pan we couldnt find anything. I had a little concern with dumping all the oil back into the drivers side. You cant drill into the valve cover due to the material that it is.

After SEMA we are going to tap into the oil pan and return the oil into the pan instead of the valves.

Last edited by unrestrictedmotorsports; 10-18-2010 at 04:08 PM.
unrestrictedmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #476
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

Im not 100% up to speed on the issue..

Could you front mount an oil cooler and just have a separate oiling system for the turbo. You could put an oil pressure / temp sensors on the outlet side of the sts pump.