Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #15
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
eBay or craigs list. I got my gm body kit for three hundred.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #16
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
That was BS with the wheels. A local wheel shop here offered to buy the RS rims off my Camaro for a little over $2000, which would make those premium wheels a little more affordable. I heard about all the people who were ripped off by their dealers, sickening.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #17
FRANK121

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
Ground effects price .... what about the $4600 for 21" wheels upgrade price

I wanted those wheels SO BAD, but could not convince Myself to get raped that bad
Never been Dynoed
FRANK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #18
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Part of the high costs of the GFX is the smaller production run on these parts than the standard pieces. By being among a small group of buyers of these parts, you are paying for the engineering/molds/production....If GM were to make GFX standard on every Camaro, I am sure the price would drop. Look at the aftermarket T3 bumper's for example compared to the stock replacement bumper.

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #19
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman2SSRS View Post
Here's the reason why the stock ones were so cheap....

When the dealership puts a ground effects kit on a car on their lot, or on an ordered car they keep the old rockers. They were free to them. Anyone who has bought a car with ground effects that were DEALER INSTALLED has paid for the original rocker panels, and if you don't ask for them back, you will not get them back. Same with the rear diffuser.

I'm not even going to talk about the 21" wheel option. Use your imagination.
On the '10s yes,however on the '11s if a car is ordered with the "DEALER INSTALLED" ground effects it is shipped to the dealer with no rocker mouldings installed.

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #20
Rip

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS3DALE View Post
On the '10s yes,however on the '11s if a car is ordered with the "DEALER INSTALLED" ground effects it is shipped to the dealer with no rocker mouldings installed.

Correct, I have the picture of mine right after it was unloaded from the truck.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #21
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg_98ta View Post
The GFX package is basically a dealer add-on, and is ridiculously priced like most other dealer add-ons. Another example is the $175 gas door...
or the $300 cup holder lights.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #22
Rip

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK121 View Post
Ground effects price .... what about the $4600 for 21" wheels upgrade price

I wanted those wheels SO BAD, but could not convince Myself to get raped that bad
Technically it isn't an upgrade. You're purchasing a new set of wheels and tires, which is why the stock ones are yours as well. I'm not sure the exact price of the tires, but I just did a quick internet search for 21" Pirellis and they were anywhere between $550 and $850 per tire. So at least 2K just for the tires. I haven't seen a set of 21" rims for less than a thousand, and anything that looked decent was quite a bit more than that. I couldn't find anything resembling the ones I got for any less than what I paid from GM.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #23
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman2SSRS View Post
Here's the reason why the stock ones were so cheap....

When the dealership puts a ground effects kit on a car on their lot, or on an ordered car they keep the old rockers. They were free to them. Anyone who has bought a car with ground effects that were DEALER INSTALLED has paid for the original rocker panels, and if you don't ask for them back, you will not get them back. Same with the rear diffuser.

I'm not even going to talk about the 21" wheel option. Use your imagination.
I had ordered a Vert with both the gfx and the 21's, and I came out and asked the dealer about the wheels that the car would ship from the factory with since the 21's are a dealer installed option.
I simply asked him if the original wheels/tires would be for sale, since I might want to buy the to use in the winter.
he checked and said that I would get them already at no cost since they were on the car from the factory, and I was paying esentially for ANOTHER set of wheels/tires with the 21's.
I then asked him what wheels to they put on at the factory in this case since they should already know they will be replaced at the dealer. I thought they would install the base-line cheapest set of wheels, but the dealer told be no, the car was manufactured as a 2SS/RS so THOSE would be the wheels/tires that the car would ship with.

i'd bet that if you ordered the gfx, since the gfx is also a dealer installed option, that all you have to do is to ask for the parts they remove when the gfx gets installled such as the rocker panels, etc.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #24
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
Supply and demand. The price is what it is because they're able to sell them. "ground effects" = $$$. "billet" = $$$. Works the same way in the gun world. "tactical" = $$$.
rdblan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #25
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 SS
Smile

The 21's are expensive but I just couldn't go without them.

Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote