Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-16-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
skraemer

Drives: 96 Silverado, 2011 2LT M6 RS IBM
Angry Re-key car?

So picked up my new camaro last Tuesday, had to go on travel that Thursday. While I was gone, got a call from my land lord that it looked like someone broke into my house. From what it looks like all they took was a crappy old 32" lcd TV and a key to my camaro. The car is kept in a gated area, so Im guessing thats why the idiot didnt run off with it, but now it seems that I should probably pay to get my car rekeyed, ALREADY!!!

Has anyone had to do this? Im guessing it involves getting another key made/reprogrammed, replacing the ignition switch and the two key cylinders on the doors. I guess Im just looking to know if anyone knows what exactly is needed to be replaced in order to get this done.

Thanks....
skraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:04 AM   #2
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Only one door cylinder but that's not the point. Yeah I'd check into it for sure. Do you have renters insurance? Maybe they'd cover it
Old 02-16-2011, 01:12 AM   #3
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Check your insurance. Not gonna be cheap. New door lock, ignition, and two keys, plus programming, cutting, and labor. Guessing over $1000.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
skraemer

Drives: 96 Silverado, 2011 2LT M6 RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
Only one door cylinder but that's not the point. Yeah I'd check into it for sure. Do you have renters insurance? Maybe they'd cover it
Nope, I might look into it now. There is only one door cylinder? I had my parents move it while I was away so burglars couldn't come back another night to actually break the gate to my driveway and run off with it.

This whole ordeal is very frustrating.
skraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:19 AM   #5
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
That sucks man..I see it all the time. There is only one key hole on the outside of the car..LOL the driver door..no others. Have to get the car re-programed though... Good luck man.

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:28 AM   #6
HzMajesty

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Blk/Blk
Send a message via MSN to HzMajesty
u need to jump on these quick...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMEWAX%3AVRI
JRE Tuned - ARH LT 1-7/8 w/Cats - JRE Rear 4.11 - Borla "S" Cat-Back - CAI by CAI - H&R drop - HURST Shifter - BMR Tunnel Brace; 4 Point Brace; Adjustable Toe Rod; Rear Trailing Arms - Sphon Control Arms - MTI Racing w/Fire Sleeves - Stealth Ambers - GTS Tails - Phantom Grille - Concept LED Sidemarkers - Blacked out logos - Hotchkis Bars & End links - BMR Front Driveshaft Loop (install soon) - BMR Subframe connectors (install soon)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3813191#
HzMajesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:32 AM   #7
2012 ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
The keys are $60 each.. And programming is like and hour labor, but the instructions I think are in the owners manual..

I bet you can just erase the computer and reprogram the car to any keys you have left plus any new ones you buy. then they won't be able to steal your car , just get into it.
2012 ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
You'll need to change the cut of the keys. Check with your dealer and see if they have the cutting equipment for these specific keys. If they don't they'll have to order the keys precut to the new code they change the cylinders to. There is a bulletin with instructions how order the keys precut.

The service manual shows how to change the cut/code in the ignition and door cylinder. There are tumblers that are loaded in the order of the key cut code. They could just take those tumblers out and put them back in in a different order. Then cut a key to that new code. Then program the new fob to the car's computer.

So, they shouldn't need new door and ignition cylinders. Just new keys, and the labor to cut and recode the cylinders and program the new fobs.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
You'll need to change the cut of the keys. Check with your dealer and see if they have the cutting equipment for these specific keys. If they don't they'll have to order the keys precut to the new code they change the cylinders to. There is a bulletin with instructions how order the keys precut.

The service manual shows how to change the cut/code in the ignition and door cylinder. There are tumblers that are loaded in the order of the key cut code. They could just take those tumblers out and put them back in in a different order. Then cut a key to that new code. Then program the new fob to the car's computer.

So, they shouldn't need new door and ignition cylinders. Just new keys, and the labor to cut and recode the cylinders and program the new fobs.
Cant you just reprogram the keys to a new code? I know with my Mazda, if I get a new key cut, I have to bring my other keys in so they can re code them all. They key may fit in the ignition, but if the codes dont match up, the car wont start. Maybe I am missing something though.
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by irocnroll View Post
Cant you just reprogram the keys to a new code? I know with my Mazda, if I get a new key cut, I have to bring my other keys in so they can re code them all. They key may fit in the ignition, but if the codes dont match up, the car wont start. Maybe I am missing something though.
I think there are several options to consider. The safest if someone has stolen the keys - is new keys, and recoded cylinders, and reprogram the car for the new keys.

You could leave the key cut the same, just get new keys with the same cut but a new immobilizer code built into the new fob. The car then get's reprogrammed to the new immobilizer code in the fob, but the cut would stay the same. The old key would then turn in the door and ignition, but the BCM immobilizer feature would not allow a start.

I don't think you could do that with the old keys. The way I understand it for the immobilizer function - you reprogram the car, not the keys. So if you wanted a new immobilizer code to prevent a start, I believe you would need a new key fob, cut to the original key cut code but then program the car to the new fob immobilizer code. The problem there is the door key would still be the same cut, so someone could get in a door I think.

So I think it depends if you just want to prevent a start, or do you also want a new key cut to also prevent a door entry.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
copper3000
Troy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
You might want to have an alarm system installed in your home too. I haven't had a break in since I had one installed.
copper3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:05 AM   #12
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
This happened to another member here...car was stolen weeks later. Get the car re-keyed NOW.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #13
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Thumbs up

You need...

INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #14
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Call your insurance company.

For now, Just have that stolen fob deactivated. Remove all personal contents from car. That way, that fob won't start the car and can't disarm it. And they can't steal your stuff if it's not there.

If they get a key in the door, and open it, the alarm will go off and they won't be able to shut it down. Nobody will care, but if they're small-time thieves, they'll run off because of the unwanted attention.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote