Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #71
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockamakis View Post
I hate the hill assist. It caused me to stall my car twice while trying to pull into my garage. I tried to go and the car wouldn't because the hill assist had activated then when the car was finally ready to move I wasn't and it stalled.

I have figured out how to keep it from engaging though. If you are on hill keep it out of gear and the brake pressed until you are ready to go. For those that are well versed in take offs on hills it should be a piece of cake for you.

Keeping a car from rolling on most hills is easy if you know how far you need to release the clutch for the car to go forward on its own without using the accelerator. Once you understand that when on hill all you have to do is release the clutch to that point and the car won't roll, you won't have to rev it, and won't have to use the brake to keep the car from rolling back when you are ready to take off.

When I'm on hills the only time I've ever used the brake is when I pull it out of gear waiting for a light and when I know the light is about to change I would put it in gear and do what I described above.

Hopefully everything I said makes sense.
Your going to burn the clutch up using it as a hill hold. Use the E brake instead.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #72
Jeff65SS

Drives: 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS
I hate this feature. It's the only thing I found about the car that I truly dislike. It has caused me to stall as well.
Jeff65SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #73
maherj2
maherj2

Drives: 71 Vista, 77spyder, 13 2SS/RS
I also do not like this feature. I had it on several Subies in the mid 80's but it seemed to release the brakes as I engaged the clutch. The camaro is definitely not doing that- or releasing with accel. I have stalled multiple times- defeating the purpose of the feature. I have learned to not put it in gear while the brake is on, similar to what Rockamakis is doing above. This needs to be addressed by GM. I still love this car, though.
maherj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #74
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Another bay area driver here. Some of those inclines in SF is just ridiculous. I swear, a few were 60 degrees or more. Trust me, on those you need the hand brakes. I also hate people that rid your ass on tjose hills. It's obvious those idiots knows nothing about manual transmission cars. IMO the hill assist would hinder me as I have been driving stick since I began driving so I can get on the throttle in less than 1 second. But for some people that don't have fast footwork, I can see it as a very good thing. IMO there should be a switch to turn it on or off.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #75
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
IMO there should be a switch to turn it on or off.
With a way to set the default-on-startup to either 'on' or 'off', whichever way you want.

Fbodfather, are you listening?

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #76
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
My RX350 has hill hold assist. However, you have to activate it yourself by pushing the brake pedal extra hard while stopped. The car will beep and the hill hold light will start flashing on the dash. These functions should not be automatic.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #77
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

You have to actively push a button down on the lower left side of the dash of my wife's Subie in order to turn that one on.

Norm
Old 10-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #78
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by maherj2 View Post
I also do not like this feature. I had it on several Subies in the mid 80's but it seemed to release the brakes as I engaged the clutch. The camaro is definitely not doing that- or releasing with accel. I have stalled multiple times- defeating the purpose of the feature. I have learned to not put it in gear while the brake is on, similar to what Rockamakis is doing above. This needs to be addressed by GM. I still love this car, though.
I apologize for the dissatisfaction you have with this feature. I will definitely put this into our database where many departments of GM can access the information. Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 10-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #79
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Whats the difference in this system compared to others? Had a 335 with it that functioned automatically and worked without issue for the 3yrs we had it. Yeah there a few molehills here believe it or not.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #80
horrido

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LS
I don't stall when it engages, but it certainly puts more wear on the clutch. I get a little jerk when the brake disengages as well. I wish there was a way to disable it.
horrido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #81
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUSDRVR View Post
Whats the difference in this system compared to others? Had a 335 with it that functioned automatically and worked without issue for the 3yrs we had it. Yeah there a few molehills here believe it or not.
What I've read here indicates that its timing may not match that of a driver who is reasonably proficient at manual transmission operation all that well.

It may be something that's subject to some tolerance, with some individual cars being worse than others about getting in the driver's way. Or perhaps not being compatible with the use of only minimal throttle to get rolling.

I don't think it's just the Camaro or just Chevy. Any sort of electrical or electronic brake release feature is subject to not working well with at least some drivers. Although the system details likely differ, the hill assist feature in my wife's Subie is decidedly lazy in letting go. And after driving stick-shift cars for nearly 50 years I've managed on several occasions to stall that car when the [related] electronic parking brake refused to release the brakes as fast as I was adding clutch engagement just to get out of my driveway.

Norm
Old 10-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #82
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaJohn View Post
...Now I find that I have to remember to wait until the car just starts to roll back before I can take off. Why is this an improvement over what we have always had?
The Nissan 370Z has a button to press so when you shift gears, a computer moves the engine RPM to match whatever the Clutch disk rpm is after the shift lever is moved to any gear.

this way, when you shift there is no lurching or jerking.

this way, you do not have to use your brain to blip the throttle and match the revs yourself.

I think this is an "improvement" but only if you can't drive.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #83
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Quote:
What I've read here indicates that its timing may not match that of a driver who is reasonably proficient at manual transmission operation all that well.

It may be something that's subject to some tolerance, with some individual cars being worse than others about getting in the driver's way. Or perhaps not being compatible with the use of only minimal throttle to get rolling.
Thanks.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #84
rabidcat77
Yankee of the South

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Learn to use all 4 limbs on a hill and you don't have any problems.

Left hand on steering wheel
Right hand on emergency brakes
Left leg feathering the clutch
Right leg modulating the throttle

There are quite a few 50+ degree incline in San Francisco and it never fails me. The only thing that I hate are retards that RIDE YOUR ASS CLOSE on a hill.
This made me laugh, I had an '01 manual Z28, and driving around Willimantic and Waterbury in CT plenty of hills to worry about - wow, I never realized it until now but back then I was using this same "four limb" method

2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT/Z71 4x4

2014 Acura RDX AWD/Tech
rabidcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote