Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
Landshark

Drives: 1LT/RS
Brownhornitt, I had to change from my single chamber flows to super 40's, because it had a drone so bad it vibrated the mirror at about 1900 RPM. My muffler guy at Valley Muffler here in Yuba City only charged me 80 bucks to do it. I thought the single chambers sounded good till I took a 40 mile ride to work in Sac. Was not good and I think a dual chamber will be better. Here is a pic of the install. They are basically the same as in the kit for the V6. I still have to touch up the paint from the install. Lower tone and not as raspy. The trip to treasure island will be the first cruise with these. Looking at putting on a X pipe next.
Attached Images

Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #16
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
Excellent info, Landshark. I wish I had my ride to meet up with you guys in the City. I'll have to catch you next time. Let me see if I have this correct.

1. You had the single chamber Flowmaster mufflers, and they didn't do it for you. So you switched to the dual chamber super 40 Flowmaster mufflers.
2. The V6 Flowmaster kit has classic 40 dual chamber Flowmaster mufflers, which are similar to the ones you like now.
3. You are going to be cruising with your new dual chamber super 40's soon, so hopefully you are going to update us with how this went.

That about the size of it?

And about the X-pipe... who are you ordering that from? How much will they run you? What power gains are you expecting to see?
Old 03-06-2010, 01:29 AM   #17
Landshark

That's about the size of it, the X pipe install will cost about 200 bucks, but I want to see how the 40's sound on the trip to TI Saturday. The reason I was told about the X pipe was to help with interior drone due to it helps "tune" the exhaust. My muffler guy said it might lower it about 5DB. I not sure who makes the one he showed me. So we will see how she does. I'm not looking for big HP gains, just want it to sound good. I look at it this way, if I wanted more power I should have bought a SS. The car should sound like it looks, V8 or V6. There is also allot of discussion about V6 HP gains right now, with particularly the Airaid CAI. I, as most likely you have been are watching it closely. Sorry for rambling, trying to answer your questions. Also the dual exhaust now on the V6 has a H pipe already installed. . I'm learning all of this like you...........Oh by the way, you don't need your car to show up there, come on up from SJC and will go for a ride!
Old 03-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #18
Brownhornitt

Ahhh... So the x-pipe is about sound and helping with drone. That's very interesting. I would be willing to invest in that if you recommend it. Let me know how it goes for you. What's the difference in performance/sound of the H vs. the X pipe? Also, let me know how your system performs (as is) on your cruise to Treasure Island today.

I had a '92 and '94 Firebird, and the V6 2010 Camaro has plenty of power for me to drive daily. Plus the car looks fantastic. I'm going to wait for the aftermarket to catch up before I start modding it out. Plus there is the whole warranty thing.

You aren't rambling when this is all of the information I want to hear about. And I'd feel weird not having my car, yet. I'll be there for the next Northern California meet up. Especially if it is during the summer. Looking forward to it.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:28 PM   #19
Landshark

Brownhornitt,
The ride to TI was good, still some drone, but not as bad as the single chambers. I'm calling my muffler guy Monday and have him order the X pipe. I'll keep you informed. You missed some modern day hot rods today. And some from the past (Gen 1-4).
Shark
Old 03-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #20
Brownhornitt

That's awesome. I'll be on the lookout. Keep me updated. I can't wait for my new ride! Ahhhhh!

-'Hornitt
Old 03-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #21
YOOG

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Brownhornitt,

Just installed the Flowmaster American Thunder axle-back kit (part no. 817483) on my car today and I couldn't be happier. I've not experienced any drone or vibration so far. The sound is louder than I thought it would be but the car has a real presence now and I've been driving around with the stereo turned off just so I can listen to it!

I'll post video when I get a chance.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:45 PM   #22
Bourgui

Drives: 1LT/RS, VR, GFX
Love that sound!

To those who have installed it, what;s the weight difference between the stock mufflers and the Flowmaster ones? Anybody actually bothered to weight them?

Thanks!
Bourgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:58 PM   #23
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
nice
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #24
YOOG

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Bourgui,

Didn't actually weigh the old mufflers but they felt MUCH heavier than the Flowmasters!
Old 03-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #25
Brownhornitt

Thanks. Looking forward to a new video, Yoog.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #26
Landshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourgui View Post
Love that sound!

To those who have installed it, what;s the weight difference between the stock mufflers and the Flowmaster ones? Anybody actually bothered to weight them?

Thanks!
I haven't weighed them, but it is at least 40-50 lbs. They are packed full of some steel wool looking stuff. There are some pics of them cut apart some where here on the forum, They are just plain ugly from the back of the car
Old 03-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #27
FirstCamaro2k10

Drives: 2010 Silver Ice Metallic Camaro LS
Out of all the exhaust clips ive listened too, the Flowmaster sounds the best IMO.
FirstCamaro2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #28
SirBrad
The Captain

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS SIM
After hesitating on Corsa last night (almost bought it), I'm leaning towards this one this morning...can't beat the price. I love the Corsa, just can't bring myself to splurge $1135 on their system.

This system is just $415.76 shipped from Autoanything.com using their discount code. The reviews seem great, the clips on Youtube sound tremendous...I think I might end up with this one before the end of the day!
SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote