Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #1
VanillaE

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro SS
Catless downpipes ?

So I was looking around for my next bolt on buy and I was thinking about high flow cat down pipes , but I found catless down pipes . Just wondering what the difference is and if anybody has had them . Here's the website https://m.summitracing.com/parts/hok-70701309rhkr
VanillaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Catlessdown pipes are just that, no catalytic converter or resonator. This will cause you to lose low end torque and gain a couple hp ar the high end of the rpm scale due to no restriction from the converter or resonator. High flow cats have less converter cells to in crease flow and free up your exhaust. Some like the Solo brand have a resonator built in, some like the ARH hi flow do not. If you go catless you must get the resonated magnaflow xpipe , as catless will be very loud and raspy. The xpipe will tame most of the rasp but not all. If you get a hi flow with the resonator you won't need the xpipe ,if you get the high flow without the resonator you will need the xpipe. The high flows will free up the exhaust and let your engine breath better.
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:31 PM   #3
VanillaE

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
Catlessdown pipes are just that, no catalytic converter or resonator. This will cause you to lose low end torque and gain a couple hp ar the high end of the rpm scale due to no restriction from the converter or resonator. High flow cats have less converter cells to in crease flow and free up your exhaust. Some like the Solo brand have a resonator built in, some like the ARH hi flow do not. If you go catless you must get the resonated magnaflow xpipe , as catless will be very loud and raspy. The xpipe will tame most of the rasp but not all. If you get a hi flow with the resonator you won't need the xpipe ,if you get the high flow without the resonator you will need the xpipe. The high flows will free up the exhaust and let your engine breath better.
So which one is preferable for sound and performance?
VanillaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:51 AM   #4
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
I would say the hi flows are the better of the two. You won't lose any low end torque, you won't have the smell of unburned fuel, and if you go catless you will definitely fail an emissions test.
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:39 PM   #5
Zezima

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS
Catless, go big or just don't do it..
You want loud
Zezima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
TX12Camaro

Drives: 2022 Cheverolet Camaro RS V6
Good luck getting it to pass inspection without Cats if you live in an Emissions Inspection area.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:46 PM   #7
Zezima

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX12Camaro View Post
Good luck getting it to pass inspection without Cats if you live in an Emissions Inspection area.
get a shop to put them on for you, pass the test and take it right back off.
this half hour ordeal once every 6 months is worth it, for the sound
Zezima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:09 PM   #8
derek1387

Drives: 2015 1LS Red V6
I had high flow cats, then went catless. The catless are loud and annoying...but do help on the top end.

I do miss the high flow cats, but being boosted, cant run them.

Did not notice much difference other than a little low end with the high flow cats....noticed more of a difference with catless, but, again, its LOUD. And the sound is insane.

JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

5th Gen V6 Performance Facebook Group
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #9
Mike413

Drives: 2013 camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek1387 View Post
I had high flow cats, then went catless. The catless are loud and annoying...but do help on the top end.

I do miss the high flow cats, but being boosted, cant run them.

Did not notice much difference other than a little low end with the high flow cats....noticed more of a difference with catless, but, again, its LOUD. And the sound is insane.

your car sounds like an absolute monster
Magnaflow cat back exhaust, ARH high flow cat downpipes, 80mm throttle body, K&N cold air intake, ported intake manifold with spacer, elite e2 catch can with clean side separator, overkill e85 flex fuel kit, overkill tune.
Mike413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:28 PM   #10
derek1387

Drives: 2015 1LS Red V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike413 View Post
your car sounds like an absolute monster
It's not trents or Jonathan's car but right now it's sitting around the 460 mark. Still have plenty of room on the pulley to go and e85 here soon with some cams.

Possibly a different boost setup too ;-)
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

5th Gen V6 Performance Facebook Group
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:56 PM   #11
Mike413

Drives: 2013 camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek1387 View Post
It's not trents or Jonathan's car but right now it's sitting around the 460 mark. Still have plenty of room on the pulley to go and e85 here soon with some cams.

Possibly a different boost setup too ;-)
way more power than mine thats for sure!! haha
Magnaflow cat back exhaust, ARH high flow cat downpipes, 80mm throttle body, K&N cold air intake, ported intake manifold with spacer, elite e2 catch can with clean side separator, overkill e85 flex fuel kit, overkill tune.
Mike413 is offline   Reply With Quote