Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #365
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
Just got all of the various pieces for my GTO reservoir. Thank you to @flht99b and @2SSRS! Hopefully install will be finished tomorrow and I'll post some pics. This and a Barton shifter are the first mods since my stereo equipment went in.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #366
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Hope to see them.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:22 AM   #367
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
@2SSRS, @flht99b - I got my kit in the other day. Thanks so much for all of it, It was such a great idea! I went with flht99b's mounting location because it just seems to look much better that way. I haven't actually finished putting the clutch hose on it because I can't find a good way to get the fluid out of the reservoir.

Also, I had a question about bleeding the system. You switched out all your fluid in both the brakes and the clutch system, how exactly did you go about that? I would think you would just bleed all the fluid out of each wheel individually and fill it all up. Once filled bleed again to remove air from the system. I'm not too worried about the clutch system since I intend to swap the fluid regularly. Let me know if I've got the right idea, maybe even throw up a step-by-step if you feel like it

Also - is there any advantage to using DOT4 vs. DOT3? Other than the slightly higher boiling point?
Old 05-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #368
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: 2010 SS, 1999 SS, 1993 Z28
I'm in the midst of ordering this setup.... However locating a resevoir is ridiculiously hard!! I'm down to having to order one from my dealer and pay a shipping charge of 15.00 on top if it being 22.00. I have an email into GMpartsdirect.com to see if they have in stock, considering they're only about 100 miles from me, shipping shouldn't be too bad.
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #369
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
I bought the GTO resevoir online from "Nook and Tranny". They cost a bit more that way but you can get your hands on it right now. I tried all the usual places but came up with no availabillity. Kind of hard to find on the web site but if you search for "RES-GMRCLUTCH" you will be able to load it in the cart.

OR keep searching for a better price elsewhere.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #370
2SSRS@Gen5diy

All you had to do is PM me i have them all day long.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:26 AM   #371
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
If you decide to mount the GTO reservoir as I did, here are some installation tips / instructions.
Tools and supplies you’ll need are regular and needle nose pliers to get the factory clamps off the stock hose that runs from the clutch master/slave cylinder to the brake master cylinder reservoir. The clamp at the firewall ( clutch master cylinder ) can be a bit of a challenge but with patience it can be slid back on the hose. I used a medium sized needle nose pliers and plenty of light ( 53 year old eyes ) to release this clamp. You will re-use these clamps on the new hose, one at the new GTO clutch reservoir end, the other at the clutch master/slave cylinder end on the firewall.
You’ll need a right angle drill and a ¼” drill bit for the finish size holes ( 2 ) that you will drill in the factory vertical bracket that currently holds the positive battery cable. I started with an 1/8” pilot hole and then finished both holes with the ¼” drill bit. The mounting hardware with the shaft on it goes in from the front of the car side of the bracket that you drilled the holes in. In other words, the hardware parts I used with the shaft on it goes in so that the screws that screw in are on the GTO reservoir side. From the pictures I posted on the forum (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=34085&page=10 ) beginning with post # 237 you can see I made a template from sticky back paper by tracing the back of the GTO reservoir and put it on the positive battery cable mounting bracket perpendicular to the outer edge of the bracket so I could accurately locate the 2 mounting holes ( center punched so the 1/8” pilot hole would not wander ).
To temporarily remove the positive battery cable from the bracket, you undo the 3 snaps at the top ( red ) so the top part of the red cover comes off. Then you squeeze the black part of the plastic holder, squeeze the side closest to the firewall and pull up and the battery cable with the black plastic mount/cover slides up and off the metal bracket. I pushed it aside and wrapped it in a thick rag for safety. Once the GTO reservoir is installed, just slide the positive battery cable and it’s black holder back onto the bracket and snap the top red cover back on.
You’ll need DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid, your choice. Factory is DOT3. I’ve upgraded both my brakes and clutch hydraulic systems to ATE Super Blue Racing DOT4 brake fluid for its higher boiling point. I have run 1 Autocross and 2 road courses with my car so I felt the higher boiling point of DOT4 was desirable.
You’ll need Phillips and/or flat head screw driver, the hardware I supply from Ace Hardware takes either type of screwdriver, you’ll use a screw driver at both ends of the mounting hardware. Once you see the hardware you’ll see what I mean. I also used a touch of blue Locktite on the mounting hardware for good measure.
You’ll need some method ( a motorcycle brake/fork syringe with a small hose on the end works best ) to remove the existing brake fluid in the brake master cylinder reservoir. They can be found at motorcycle shops and I understand Wal-Mart carries them in the motorcycle section of the store.
You’ll need lots of rags, fender covers, paper, whatever to ensure brake fluid does not come in contact with any painted finish. You can get 99% of the existing brake fluid out of the master cylinder reservoir with the syringe very easily, there will be only a few drops of fluid left in the hose you are replacing so you can minimize the spillage of brake fluid to almost zero. Be sure NOT to pump the BRAKE pedal for any reason while you have the brake fluid removed from the brake reservoir, you could possibly introduce air into the system and then would have to bleed the master cylinder and/or entire brake system.
Once you’ve finished the installation, just top off the brake master cylinder reservoir and fill the new GTO clutch reservoir. Pump the clutch pedal several times, add fluid as necessary and you are good to go. There is no need to bleed the clutch or brake master cylinder unless you intend to flush all the fluid out of them.
There is no relocation of the battery cable with the mounting position and method I choose. If you are reasonably careful measuring and drilling the 2 reservoir mounting holes, the clutch reservoir will be dead level in both planes.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. It’s really easy, just takes a bit of time and care. I spent weeks thinking about where and how I wanted to mount the reservoir ( wanted it to look OEM if possible ) and then more time tracking down the EPDM cap, EPDM hose and just the right hardware to mount the reservoir but the whole installation took less than 2 hours.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #372
Weezerj

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS -- 02 Escalade
TC and Imjaybird, (guys that mounted with brackets)....

Did you have to bleed any lines after modification? Any chance someone could give a how too for this? (sorry for noob question)
Weezerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #373
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezerj View Post
TC and Imjaybird, (guys that mounted with brackets)....

Did you have to bleed any lines after modification? Any chance someone could give a how too for this? (sorry for noob question)
No....no need to bleed your lines unless you drain out all of your brake fluid. That's only optional if you wanted to change your fluid to a better brake fluid or something.

I didn't change my brake fluid or anything. Just took the hose off the mastercylinder, plugged it and then put the hose on the resivoir.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #374
2SSRS@Gen5diy

I changed all the brake fluid, and all that i did was pump the brakes and the Clutch reservoir, Its been good for over a year+.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #375
Weezerj

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS -- 02 Escalade
ok, now the $37 question....

Will the ZL1 have separate reservoir or will this mod need to be done on this car as well?
Weezerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #376
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
If the ZL1 doesn't come with a separate clutch reservoir, 2SSRS, TC or I can tell GM how to do it and why
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.

Last edited by flht99b; 05-18-2011 at 05:47 AM. Reason: spelling error, more info
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #377
SSZYLN

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS
Got my reservoir yesterday, thanks 2SS/RS! Will be installing shortly, pics will follow!
SSZYLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #378
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: 2010 SS, 1999 SS, 1993 Z28
I just installed my reservoir.... very simple and I went the zip tie route as well.

I wish I would've read this thread again before I ordered.... I didn't know 2SSRS was selling them.... I went through GMpartsdirect and won't make that mistake again.

Anyway, I haven't noticed any difference as far as feel or driving??... maybe I will tomorrow.

Sent from my EVO 4G
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote