Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Old 03-04-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
boomskeet

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT - Cyber Gray
Send a message via AIM to boomskeet
Student in NY Wants to Bring Up His Camaro from Cali

Hey guys I really need your help and would appreciate as many responses as possible!!

So I'm almost through my first year here in Ithaca, NY at Cornell. I did not bring my car because parking is expensive, but I will be living in my frat next year so parking is free. Was wondering what you all think about bringing my V6 Camaro up? I won't be driving everyday, but just want it for when I go downtown for food or groceries and general convenience. I also want to bring it out because I miss cruising in my hot rod and listening to my flowmasters roar and the looks and compliments I get all the time!!!!! (otherwise I would just pick up a 4wd car for about $8000)

I'm just worried about how the car will perform and how it will hold up for 3 years in the snow! This year had a pretty mild winter and I know I could have been fine. I can also drive it down to Long Island and leave it at my cousin's house when I go back home for summer break.

If I leave it at home, my dad will be driving it - and he's a pretty speedy driver, but has been driving european sports cars, so I don't know if he can adjust to the camaro's lesser handling characteristics.

Let me know what are y'all's opinions and whether you think its a good idea or worth it?

THANKS!!

all my mods done by myself and borrowing friends' tools

Performance:
flowmaster AT axle back exhaust

Cosmetic:
Matte Black Grand Sport stripes, Matte Black Powder Coated 18" stock rims, Matte Black Rear blackout panels, Matte Black Tinted rear lights, Carbon Fiber DiNoc emblems, Carbon Fiber DiNoc rear light surround bezels, GTS headlight black outs, Street Scenes rear spoiler, Decepticon gas cap

AKA The "Decepticon" Camaro
boomskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
I daily drive mine every day, rain, snow, what ever it is and it's just fine. With that a set of snow tires is required if you have the summer only tires for driving in the snow. Last year I did drive it through 2of 3 big snow falls we had down in the city. Although it does snow alot more upstate then it does it in the city it is doable. I deffinitly wouldn't leave it here for the summer though. I have a friend that use to drive back and forth to Vegas for the summers and I heard it was alot of fun. Ultimately it is up to you but you can deff do it
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
1969to2010
The Man in Black

Drives: 1969 Camaro 2010 Camaro 1SS
Blizzaks are a must
Old 03-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
sxty9GTO
VEGAS 11

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Wow, that's lot of car for Ithaca. I would buy a beater for here and leave it at home. Trust your dad with it has got to be better than a New York winter

Keep On Trucking
sxty9GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Bmbl-B
THE TERROR CONTINUES

Drives: 95 imp ss 67 TT PS NOVA 07GMC
if you miss driving your car then you should bring it if you have parking for it as far as the weather thats what they make good car covers for ny is not the worst place to have or drive a camaro of course there are some roads you stay away from but we have some very big meets here iam actually doing one on the end of this month our biggest meet had 65 5th gens this time iam hoping close to 100 camaros. or you can buy a beater and wish it as your car instead lol pssst 8k will buy you alot of mods lol please check out ny5thgen.com
Old 03-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
I lived in Syracuse NY for a few years not so long ago.

You dont HAVE to drive, so bring it up. The few days the weather is absolutely horrendous, simply don't drive. When there isnt too much snow or its cleaned up pretty well, take her out!

Its only a problemn for those few days per year where theres 2 feet of snow on the ground and an inch of ice under it... but it sounds like in your situation you can just leave it at home those days.

Now as far as the "damage from salt", yeah salt will eat your camaro... but you have a V6 so its not a collectors car, and you probably won't keep it more then 6-8 years, right?
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
boomskeet

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT - Cyber Gray
Send a message via AIM to boomskeet
Hey guys, thanks for the help! I think I am going to try to bring it up next August!!

@Bmbl-B: I will contact you once I get my ride up here so I can come to some of these meets!
Thanks to all the rest of you!

I think I will do a trial run next year, and if I feel the car's useful for that year, then I'll keep on the east coast for the following two years.

I am worried about the SALT, how bad does it damage the car for a 1-3 year period, and more specifically, what does salt do to the car?

all my mods done by myself and borrowing friends' tools

Performance:
flowmaster AT axle back exhaust

Cosmetic:
Matte Black Grand Sport stripes, Matte Black Powder Coated 18" stock rims, Matte Black Rear blackout panels, Matte Black Tinted rear lights, Carbon Fiber DiNoc emblems, Carbon Fiber DiNoc rear light surround bezels, GTS headlight black outs, Street Scenes rear spoiler, Decepticon gas cap

AKA The "Decepticon" Camaro
boomskeet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, snow, upstate