Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #15
Mean Green Z28

Drives: 2010 2SS
oh, didn't know it was that bad ... hope it's something cheap and simple
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #16
cypressh
Canadian

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
just to be optimistic and with it throwing the mis fire in 2 would anyone else side on the coil pack being farked, and the ticking Im hearing is from the detonation of the fuel>?
cypressh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #17
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
From what you've shared so far and with my past personal experience I would strongly recommend you not start the engine again until you pull the valve cover on the noisy side and check out the valve train. If you have a broken spring, galled rocker arm, or collapsed lifter you run the risk of dropping a valve, making contact with a piston and then all hell will break loose.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #18
cypressh
Canadian

cars going to be towed home at 5:00 today and valve cover pulled by 7 will post pictures if I remember to
Old 04-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #19
rberns

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressh View Post
cars going to be towed home at 5:00 today and valve cover pulled by 7 will post pictures if I remember to
Definitely keep us updated and hopefully nothing major happened.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #20
Chevy Fanatic

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM/PEARL STRIPES-6M
Quote:
just to be optimistic and with it throwing the mis fire in 2 would anyone else side on the coil pack being farked, and the ticking Im hearing is from the detonation of the fuel>?

No
Whipple S/C, 3.750 pulley, JRE rough idle blower cam kit, Trunion upgrade, C5R timing chain, LS2 chain dampner, Melling 10296, Dynatech 1 7/8 LT headers, OR pipes, Dual valve RX catch can, ID 850 Injectors, LPE Dual fuel pump, CAI with Apex scoop, VMax ported T/B, ADM Tune 675 RWHP 560 TQ
Chevy Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #21
BFASTNOTLAST

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
From what you've shared so far and with my past personal experience I would strongly recommend you not start the engine again until you pull the valve cover on the noisy side and check out the valve train. If you have a broken spring, galled rocker arm, or collapsed lifter you run the risk of dropping a valve, making contact with a piston and then all hell will break loose.

Or the head of a valve.......
BFASTNOTLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:24 AM   #22
cypressh
Canadian

Well fellas pulled valve cover and low and behold valve spring for intake side is split in two, thankfully the valve didnt drop at all and spring still had enough clearance to not hit the piston at all. Shitty part is that they are all the factory valve springs so in go some dual springs to hopefully stop this from happening again anytime soon. I would lime to that everyone that commented on thid and that I appreciate everyones opinions and help. Now does anyone know how to replace a broken spring
Old 04-08-2014, 02:00 AM   #23
rberns

Quote:
Well fellas pulled valve cover and low and behold valve spring for intake side is split in two, thankfully the valve didnt drop at all and spring still had enough clearance to not hit the piston at all. Shitty part is that they are all the factory valve springs so in go some dual springs to hopefully stop this from happening again anytime soon. I would lime to that everyone that commented on thid and that I appreciate everyones opinions and help. Now does anyone know how to replace a broken spring
I was going to ask if you had dual valve springs in there, but you can go to www.briantooleyracing.com
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #24
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Here's a how-to from the LS1 site, it's essentially the same process.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/how-rep...prings-132116/

There is another way also if you don't have air, by putting the piston to top dead center and feeding some rope or something in through the spark plug hole to keep the valves from dropping in the cylinder.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #25
cypressh
Canadian

Let this be a lesson learned for those of you that do cams and not upgrade your valve springs, you run a major risk of breaking valve train pieces in your car.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #26
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Let this be a lesson learned for those of you that do cams and not upgrade your valve springs, you run a major risk of breaking valve train pieces in your car.
Which cam do you have? How much lift?
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #27
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
I couldn't agree more. Also, dual coil valve springs help protect things even if you do break a valve spring...very important. Not an area to cut corners.

Also, if you replace all of the valve springs I would also recommend doing a trunnion upgrade at the same time. Peace of mind is priceless.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #28
Roger Stattel

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1ss
How long have you been cammed for?
Roger Stattel is offline   Reply With Quote